Post-Op Blues

PeakTek78
on 1/30/12 12:02 am - Liverpool, NY
Hi everyone.  Tomorrow marks three weeks since my surgery and, although I've recovered nicely physically and am down 29 lbs. already, have been struggling with the psychology of it all.  I definitely don't think I'm clinically depressed, but I most certainly have the blues.  I never realized how important food was to me.  I feel like I've lost a very good friend.  And, when I eat, I don't enjoy it at all.  I suppose this is the point - to perceptualize food as a necessity to stay alive, rather than anything more.  I haven't seen my friends because so much of what we did as a group involved food and booze.  And, even though my wife has been wonderful and ultra supportive, I don't see her much during the week because of our work schedules.  

I'm glad I lost 30 lbs., but I miss my old life.  Has anyone else felt this?  Does it go away or lessen with time?  Or, am I just being overly negative and too dramatc?  

Thanks for your help.

(deactivated member)
on 1/30/12 12:11 am
I hit a "blues" spot at about six weeks post op. I felt terrible for a couple of weeks.

Exercise, I know that sounds strange but it has helped me feel so much better. The
friends that I use to hang out and eat with, most have now gone on a diet after seeing
how much weight I have lost. So they have all started being so supportive.

It might be different for a guy, I'm not sure. I think there is a men's forum on here
somewhere you might try checking that out, I bet they could be a great support
system for you.

Good Luck

Pam
erichardy
on 1/30/12 12:14 am - Greenwood, IN
I am almost six weeks post-op and I feel very similar to you. I mentioned to my wife just a day or two ago (she had the surgery just two weeks after me) that eating was not a pleasent experience and sometimes very unpleasent. I hate the belching, the semi sick feeling, the uncomfortable pressure, etc. I know we should not "enjoy" eating so to speak, but it would be nice if it at least was satisfying and not a burden. I am new enough that I am not sure if this gets better, but I hope so! I have tried to re-focus my social activities so that they do not revolve around food, or if eating is a necessity, come up with fun, healthy, and acceptable post WLS recipes that make us feel a little more normal. In time, I suspect that we will lose our hold on eating as a social activity and accept it for what it should be, to healthily nourish our bodies. I wish you good luck and reaffirm that you are not alone with these feelings!

undergoingchange
on 1/30/12 1:17 am
I went to 3 meal involving functions while I was on the pre-op liquid diet.  What I discovered is that if I focus on the people around me and talking to them, I was not really bothered by what they were eating.  That has also been the case since surgery.

The only thing that has bothered me is when my husband crunches on chips. I didn't buy them, someone else brought them to my house and I will not be buying any.

My best friend had her surgery about 3 years ago.  She says it gets better.  At first you feel like you think about food more than before surgery.  Then it becomes a more natural part of life and you do not have to think so much about what you are eating. She and I still go out to eat and share an entree.

Try to find what you enjoy eating the most and maybe that will help.  Anytime you lose or give up something that has been a part of your life you will go through a grieving process.  That is normal for all of us I think.

I may still go through what you are describing since I am only 5 weeks out.

I hope it gets bette for you soon.
lovelife39
on 1/30/12 1:56 am, edited 1/30/12 1:57 am
i have found some good reciepes on bariactricfoodie.com and bariatriceating.com. try new things and get creative...  also a support group with men might also help you !  good luck
Kelly L.
on 1/30/12 2:37 am - San Jacinto, CA
Google The World According to Eggface. Shelley has great recipies too.
I had a down time after surgery too.. about 3 weeks out I was pretty down. I think it's a reaction to major surgery. Just keep doing what you need to do.. If you are still feeling down call your Doc. It won't hurt to throw your feelings out there and get a little more support if you need it

HW 274. CW 129

PeakTek78
on 1/30/12 2:50 am - Liverpool, NY
 Thanks everyone.  I appreciate your kindness, support and perspectives.  
(deactivated member)
on 1/30/12 3:43 am - Toronto, Canada
 I'm with you on the eating being a chore.  I'm only 13 days out, but I can't believe that I have no appetite and that my taste buds have totally changed.  Is this permanent or do the taste buds go back to normal after a while?
Arieschick33
on 1/30/12 2:28 pm - Lusby, MD
RNY on 01/17/12
You are not alone! I too have been kinda down. I am 2 weeks post op. I've lost 27 lbs and I'm happy about it but I have already had emotional turmoil with the food aspect. I also feel like my friend FOOD has left me! I think the social factor is alot of it, and I have been really upset about the sitting home alone part. I'm frustrated with friends who were always up for drinks but haven't bothered to see how I'm doing. I actually cried in WAWA the other day because I hadn't ate and couldn't find anything I could have. I get teary eyed passing the mexican restaurant by my house...cheese dip and margaritas, how I miss you terribly!  So see, it's part of the process of this new lifestyle, we are not being negative or dramatic, we are being REAL. It will get better and we will be better because of it!

Hattie T.
on 1/30/12 3:00 pm - Denver, CO
My first couple of weeks at home took some getting used to. I felt lost without the snacking and sugar high in the evenings. I also felt depressed for a brief while. But, take heart. You will move past all of that as you build your new and healthy way of living!

Hattie
Htaylor46     HW 412, SW 386, CW 309, GW 190      
Most Active
Recent Topics