Health insurance/ plastics

AmberLee72
on 2/8/12 12:35 am
I need to get new health insurance asap and need to know which insurance is the most likely to cover me for plastic surgery. I could really use some input or advice on this. Please let me know...I'm lost when it comes to insurance!
MeganGish
on 2/8/12 12:39 am - Ashland, KY
 You will be hard pressed to find an insurance company that will cover plastic surgery without being convinced it's medically necessary but i want to wish you luck on finding one who will cover it.  
AmberLee72
on 2/8/12 12:46 am
I know that it is super hard but I also have seen alto of people have it covered. It depends on the doctor. Some doctors help you document it so that it looks medically necessary. I'm only 8 months post op so I still have a ways to go and havent really gotten into the whole plastic surgery issue yet but I am trying to prepare by picking the right insurance. My partner had surgery 6 years ago. She was a lightweight and was only heavy for abut 5 years maybe...so her skin bounced back really well. She had blue cross and they approved a tummy tuck! I couldn't believe it. She has almost NO SKIN and they approved. She decided against it because her stomach would look worse with the scar since her skin truly isn't bad. I might look into blue cross because of her experience with them but I figured all of you might have other ideas as well.
Barb H.
on 2/8/12 1:00 am - Kailua-Kona, HI
Revision on 01/25/12
Hi Amber! I haven't seen you in a while but you've done so well!! I hope youll be able to find good coverage for your plastics.
Lap band 03/09; revised to RNY 01/12
Read about my journey at www.journeyofafatwoman.wordpress.com

(deactivated member)
on 2/8/12 12:47 am, edited 2/8/12 12:48 am - NJ
Agreed with the above poster.  I work in Human Resources and have yet to see a policy that covers elective cosmetic surgery. 

WE (as RNY peeps) feel it's medical necessity, but the insurance companies think otherwise and usually will cover plastics ONLY IF it is causing a medical problem, and even then it's super tough to get it covered. 

There needs to be documented proof and pictures of a rash/infection, for example, that won't go away because it's caused by having a huge panni or something.  I know some people have had that happen and even then, the insurance usually only covers just a panni removal, not a tummy tuck which is what gives you the nicer after effect.

GOOD LUCK - and if you find an insurance company that does cover plastics, be sure to post it here!

ETA - my BC BS policy specifically states that it will not cover skin removal/plastics as a result from WLS...I can't complain though because they covered my band installation/removal AND RNY with no issues whatsoever.
Zombie
on 2/8/12 1:54 am
Insurance usually will cover some of the cost if you have documented problems with your surgical needs. In some cases your plastic surgeon will need to write a letter outlining why the surgery is medially necessary. I don't have all the answers on this topic, but you can find way more info here:

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/plasticsurgery/a,messagebo ard/board_id,4861/

~Paul~

poet_kelly
on 2/8/12 1:55 am - OH
Most will cover it IF it is medically necessary.  For instance, is your extra skin causing rashes, sores or infections?  If you just want plastics for cosmetic reasons, most insurances will not cover it.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

AmberLee72
on 2/8/12 3:09 am
Kelly,
I know you have been on the forums for a long time now...Have you heard anything on any good health insurance? I really don't even know what to look for.
poet_kelly
on 2/8/12 3:11 am - OH
Look at the policy that shows what things they do and do not cover and look to see if it covers plastics when medically necessary.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Mia H.
on 2/8/12 9:49 am - OH
 I have Anthem.  From what I have read from others, they will cover a panni if you have medical issues (i.e. rash) and plenty of documentation from your doctor.  This is panni only, does not include tummy tuck.  Breast reduction again if only for medical necessity. Breast reduction only not a lift or implant. 

Most Active
Recent Topics