Help! I want chips!

terriphillips417
on 2/8/12 1:32 pm - Graham, WA
Well, I amazed myself and didn't give in.  Does it ever get easier?  Will there ever be a time when trying to remember  everything I need is so consuming, will it ever become second nature?
smiley_k
on 2/8/12 10:04 am
I don't know if your plan would allow this but this is like the brok's pizza crust on this site but in a chip form. I've never tried the chips but they sound good. I think they would help with your chip craving and give you some protein too.

http://yourlighterside.com/crunch-time-doritos-style-chips-m akes-mouths-munchier-2/
Katie  ♥     

FleurDeLis
on 2/8/12 11:00 am
My Bariatric Pantry has a nice selection of protein chips.
ShyFriend
on 2/8/12 12:24 pm
I make Kale chips no real carbs, but they are crisp.
Cleopatra_Nik
on 2/8/12 12:29 pm - Baltimore, MD
There's a concept that I practiced when I was new out that I deemed "defensive eating." That is to say, to avoid eating a bad thing, sometimes I ate a good thing, even when I wasn't particularly hungry. Because I knew I could and would eat the bad thing even if I wasn't hungry. So I'd get me some carrot sticks and dip or if the temptation was big (and chips would qualify) I'd do a half a protein shake. Whatever it took to make me too full to be able to put that "bad" thing in my mouth.

I don't suggest others do this, but some days that's what it took for me.
terriphillips417
on 2/8/12 1:25 pm - Graham, WA
I ended up having a protein drink.  I was due for my third one anyway.  I think I was over hungry because my lunch didn't have much protein.  I got full on fruit (first time eating it since surgery), and it didn't last very long.  I think I'm having salt withdrawal.
gbsinsatx
on 2/8/12 12:31 pm - San Antonio, TX

I eat these. I order from amazon.com (I get a discount on the auto ship program also)

1.2 ounces Kay’s Better Balance chili nacho cheese protein chips: 120 calories, 12 grams protein

1.2 ounces Kay’s Better Balance cinnamon toast protein pretzel sticks: 120 calories, 12 grams protein, 3 grams sugar

Age at RNY: 55, Height: 5'4", Consultation Weight: 331 lbs-12/1/2009, RNY Surgery Weight: 281 lbs-3/22/2010, Goal Weight Reached: 141 lbs-6/23/2011, Lowest Weight: 126 lbs-12/11/2011

Current Age: 61, Current Weight: 161 lbs-5/20/2016Total Weight Loss Maintained: 170 lbs  

terriphillips417
on 2/8/12 1:19 pm - Graham, WA

Thanks,  I looked up some Kays produlcts.  I have celiac deisease and the things I looked up are gluton free.  Jackpot!  I'm excited to try them.

losing-jennifer
on 2/8/12 8:51 pm
Chips were my number one "go to" food before surgery. Even over cake. I had those cravings too for chips but further out than you. I ate some and got so sick! Between the fat and carbs and it didn't even take a serving size. Cured me real quick. I didn't like the extreme nausea it caused.
SafetyTurtle
on 2/8/12 11:09 pm - Cincinnati, OH
I am with Nik on this one, replacing the crap craving for a healthy or at least less crappy substitute if I just can't get through the craving.  I just posted in a thread about PMS head hunger.  I keep the crisper drawers in our fridge stocked with healthier options for head hunger days...one is full of sugar free jello and pudding (easy to add protein powder to as well, if you tolerate the texture), and the other is full of cheese.  We buy a lot of cheese.  For the crunchy salty cravings, I make the cheese chips, but I make them in the oven.  I heat to 400F, put pinches of parmesan (I'm trying asiago next week) cheese on a well greased cookie sheet, usually I make 12 at a time.  I leave them in with the heat on for 7 minutes, then 3 minutes with the heat off, then let them cool outside the oven for 5 minutes.  SO YUMMY!  When you're a little further out, you can put turkey (or regular) pepperoni on them, and eat them dipped in pizza or marinara if you like.  It does well for the pizza craving, w/o the crust.  The pizza chips I make w/turkey pepperoni: a serving of six chips (each chip is 1 tbsp of grated parmesan, and one slice of pepperoni) has 160 calories, 8g of fat, 0.5g of carbs, and 16.5g of protein.  It does not include sauce if you choose to use it.  It is a meal for me, but I eat 6-8 small meals a day.  When you're further out, check out PoetKelly's roasted chick pea recipe...made them for the first time last week and they were delish!  

Good for you for not giving in to the chips, and having the protein shake instead.  You're already replacing bad habits with good ones, which is so important to do.  Keep doing that, and you'll find it gets easier and easier to do the right thing food wise.  My only other advice is to stay hydrated.  I know it is so hard (I ended up back in the hospital 3 times in the first 5 weeks, after an extended initial stay, for dehydration).  It happens so quickly once it starts, and the more dehydrated I got, the worse the head hunger got.  And it was illogical...I knew I physically couldn't eat the foods I was craving.  I would just sit and near hallucinate about just chewing up crappy food and spitting it out...first steps towards a rather ugly eating disorder.  Thankfully, I was just with it enough to realize something is going on here, something is really wrong with me, why am I craving these things...some of them I never liked pre-op.  Once I got fluids in me, they would start to go away.  Now I recognize intense head hunger (in myself at least) as a sign of needing to drink ASAP.  

I've rambled long enough...head to the cheese department at your grocery and stock up!

Gina :~) 
Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 165 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 248 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 302 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 262 views