Mexico surgeon Dr Ramos Kelly

cissiesue
on 2/12/12 2:01 pm - NV
Has anyone gone to Tijuana and seen Dr Ramos Kelly? Looking to go to Mexico in June and was wanting more info on this particular Dr...I've seen some videos from girls on you tube fir vsg surgery with him, but no rny. Please help! Thank you
bomoni727
on 2/12/12 8:54 pm, edited 2/12/12 8:57 pm - MN
Just my humble opinion, I would not go to Mexico. I at one point contemplated going to Mexico for wls when I was really desperate trying to qualify through my insurance. Thank goodness I was finally approved and dropped that whole Mexico thing. I have not heard anything about Dr. Ramos and have heard good things about the wls doctors that I've researched in Mexico. Be that as it may, Mexico would not be an option for me even if I had not been approved through my own insurance because I was feeling like it was not a physically safe option for me with all the crime there.
cissiesue
on 2/12/12 10:07 pm - NV
cissiesue
on 2/12/12 10:15 pm - NV
Thank you for your honest answer! That is definitely a concern for me as well. Unfortunately, my insurance doesn't cover wls, so I don't have that option. And with the over inflated prices for medical care, in general, in the US, I would be looking at 24-32k in my area. I really would like some feedback from some ladies that have had the rny in Mexico, and especially if they used Dr Ramos Kelly. I welcome all comments and concerns as well
cookies4pennies
on 2/12/12 10:19 pm
There are plenty of doctors in the United States that will do the surgery on a cash payment plan.
Why would anyone want to deliberately walk into a war zone?
wvugal89
on 2/12/12 11:12 pm - MD
I would not go out of the country for surgery. If something goes wrong you will not have the access to the same care as in the states. I know cost is an issue but it is also not safe in Mexico right now and there are many advisories from the state department. Safety and health first!

Teri-Lynn
POI

slim2bsoon
on 2/13/12 3:53 am - MD
I also would not go out of the country - you need your support group in your own 'backyard'.  Some surgeons are reluctant to 'touch' another surgeon's patients.
Cost is important - I paid cash for mine, got a discount from both the hospital and the surgeon.  I would spend $20K+ on a car that I will have to replace, why not invest the same money in myself so that I increase my chances of being around for many, many more years.
Good luck with your decision.
Jackie
cissiesue
on 2/13/12 6:21 am - NV
Thank you all for your input. I am aware of all the risks, I live a days drive from TJ. I can easily get there quickly, my primary phys is on board, as he got his degree in Mexico. What I am looking for advice on, is wether anyone has had an RNY procedure with.Dr.Ramos Kelly. Thanks.again for your concern and input.
Marissa A.
on 2/13/12 12:43 pm - CA
You might be able to get more info on the MEXICO board (http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/mexico/ ) I had my R&Y in Tijuana also, although I had it with Dr. Fernando Garcia and so far it's been a great experience. Dr. Kelly has a good reputation. Never felt unsafe there. Hope I was helpful at least a little bit.
cissiesue
on 2/13/12 12:49 pm - NV
Marissa, I have posted in the Mexico Forum, and it seems like most everyone either gets lap band, or the sleeve. I know your Dr and mine (potentially) work together, and it means a great deal that you posted, since I have yet to find anyone who has had RNY in recent months.
Most Active