I HATE My Bed !!!!

JerseyJim
on 2/16/12 1:04 pm - Sayre, PA
Ever since I dropped all this weight, I totally hate sleeping in our bed.  Apparently, my fat used to provide much needed cushioning because I now wake up with pain in my back, my shoulders, my hips, and sometimes even in my neck.  All of a sudden, I even feel pain in my ribs when I roll out of bed in the morning. Granted, that my ribs are starting to protrude for the first time in my adult life, but for the life of me I never expected to feel pain from sleeping.  The mattress is a four year old top of the line Stearns and Foster that came with a steep 3K+ price tag. At the time I was close to 400lbs and thought that the firmer the mattress, the more resilient it would be to my weight.  That was before I decided to have RNY and lost so much weight.

Now I'm in the market for a new mattress, so my wife and I went out to test out some plush and ultra-plush inner spring mattresses, and after trying about 30 different ones, we came to the realization that even the most plush inner spring, with the most luxurious pillow-top, still causes a ton of pressure and pain.

While moving from mattress to mattress in the store, we unintentionally landed on a memory foam mattress which was pretty firm at first touch, but didn't create any pressure on my sore spots.  The sales person then led us to some "plush" memory foam mattresses and I have to admit that I really liked them a lot more than the inner spring variety.

Unfortunately, I know so little about memory foam that I left without making a new mattress purchase, but at least I have something to research now.  I'm going to do some research, and thought I would post here and find out if anybody has any experience with memory foam mattresses.

If you sleep on one, please let me know your impressions.

Thanks,
Jim

HW: 418 SW: 386 CW: 225 GW: 210

manda2108
on 2/16/12 1:18 pm
 My mom has a bad back and she sleeps on a memory foam mattress..she hates sleeping anywhere else. She has mentioned that they are warmer(but they also live in Texas) so she has an extra fan in room. Best of luck!

Kat Kat
on 2/16/12 1:19 pm - AZ
Hi Jim,

They sell memory foam toppers for your regular mattress, so you might want to try that out before investing in a whole new mattress. It was enough for me to use with my last bed. I also LOVE the sleep number bed. Have you tried one of those yet?

Happy Shopping!
Kat

april89love
on 2/16/12 1:19 pm - NC
People I know who have one, really love it. I have a mattress with a memory foam top and it is really comfy. I like how it cradles you.

Sandy

HW 225, SW 219, GW 140, CW 124

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me!  

(deactivated member)
on 2/16/12 1:40 pm
Hey there!

I've got a bad back and wake up every morning with issues... and I'd LOVE to have a memory foam mattress except for one thing.  Another person mentioned that they are hot... and yes, they are.  I had a mattress topper that was awesome and didn't make me hurt, but I swear, I'd wake up bathed in sweat.  It comforms around you so well that you barely move... and the heat just builds. 

I've heard that there are supposedly ones that aren't as hot due to some ventilation system/coring built in, but I haven't done much research into it yet.  I might at some point, because the foam really did help... even though I have to sleep on my side to avoid my lower back hurting worse, I end up with my hip and shoulder aching each morning, as well as my ribs, too.  So trust me, I hear ya on this!

Good luck... hope you figure something out!

tori
Dee.spunk
on 2/16/12 2:17 pm - Sacramento, CA
I have a sleep number bed. You should try it. They are super comfy! I live my bed!

Height:5'1.5 RNY:11/30/11 HW:307 SW:234 CW:136 GW:140 (LOST 73 Lbs. PRE-OP)

sandy822
on 2/16/12 2:33 pm - FL
 I too have a sleep number bed and you can change it as needed!
Sara L.
on 2/16/12 2:35 pm
I too feel your pain!! I bought a foam topper for my bed and it made all the difference. It came with its own cover that extends down over the mattress. I imagine if I only used that cover it would be hot. I use a basic quilted cotton matress pad under my fitted sheet and I don't get overheated. I never have to use the AC here, so if I don't get hot you probably wouldn't get too hot.
The foam topper is pretty reasonable, $140 at Costco.
Good luck figuring it out!
Sara in Maui

kittehkitteh27
on 2/16/12 4:09 pm - Zebulon, NC
RNY on 01/18/12 with
I just spent an hour researching mattresses online. Now I've decided that I want a new mattress too.

I get pain from pressure points in my bed but I wanted to hold off on getting a new one until I lose weight. I don't want to prematurely wear out a new bed while I'm still heavy! I'm thinking a topper might extend the life of mine and make it tolerable until I'm ready for a new one.

Darn you, Jim, for making me want to spend money! lol jk

I'll be interested to know what you end up purchasing. It may help me make my ultimate decision.

~Kitteh~   Start 363 / Surgery 346 / Current 204.1 / Goal 150

MultiMom
on 2/16/12 6:49 pm - NH
I feel your pain, literally!!  What I did was buy a 4 inch memory foam pad and topped that with a feather bed that has the sides that cover the mattress. I recently moved and my brothers were laughing hysterically calling me the "princess and the pea" . Bony people need sleep too!

If you decide on a new mattress that is memory foam, a cover is definitely a necessity as they do hold the heat.

High 250/Consult Weight 245/Surgery 205/Now 109
Height 5'4.5" BMI 18.4
In maintenance since June 2009

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 464 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 423 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 358 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 439 views