No Weight Loss in 3 months

Reddheadd7
on 2/22/12 4:13 am - CA
I had my Roux en Y last July and basically I've only lost 39 lb since surgery beside the fact that I haven't lost anything since November. I lost 38 lbs pre surgery. Even when I look at my measurements and haven't lost any inches maybe a half inch in a couple places but nothing really. I've been working out this whole time. I punched it up a bit Jan 1, weight lifting, cardio to see if I could break this plateau, if that's what it is, nothing. Nothing!!!! My scale measures bodyfat %...still no change. So for those of you who might say I'm gaining muscle, well if I weigh the same then I should be losing fat but I'm NOT! So I started a new workout plan this week. I got it from bodybuilding.com, Jamie Eason's 12 week program to see if that works. I eat 1500-1700 calories a day and actually I was eating 1200 until about 3 weeks ago so I bumped it up. I average 115 grams of protein a day, 8-9 cups of water a day, carbs avg 150. I'm taking Pro-Sculpt pre workout drink mix to help with thermogenisis. I use glutamine in my protein shake post workout plus my shake mix has BCAA's and glutamine already. My diet usually looks like this:

Breakfast: Chobani greek yogurt or oatmeal and 1 morningstar farms veggie sausage patty or egg whites
mid-morning: Pure protein bar
Lunch: chicken with 1/4 avocado and either a carb or veggie
pre workout drink (with 10-12 oz water)
workout
post workout protein shake (made with water)
Dinner: lean protein, veggie, carb

Bottom line - I'm not sure what to do. I've been working my booty off and I haven't seen any results.

poet_kelly
on 2/22/12 4:30 am - OH
What does your surgeon suggest?  Your dietician?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Reddheadd7
on 2/22/12 4:41 am - CA
I've seen my surgeon twice since and because my total weight loss is 77 lbs she thinks its great. That makes no sense to me because I lost half of that on my own! Anyway, I havent been in to see my dietician but I don't think she can tell me to do anymore than what I'm doing. I tried to see her before support group but she was booked. I sent her an email with the same info I put on here so if she had earth shattering info I'm sure she would have sent it along.
poet_kelly
on 2/22/12 4:43 am - OH
So your surgeon thinks a three month stall is great?  I would make an appointment with both your surgeon and dietician and specifically ask for advice and what they think may be causing such a long stall.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Reddheadd7
on 2/22/12 4:57 am - CA
No she just thinks that the overall 77 lbs weight loss is great because it met her numbers as a successful surgery...funny I don't see it that way.
iowa_missie74
on 2/22/12 4:56 am - IA
I had to meet with a physical therapist and still do off and on. Does your clinic offer that? Maybe she could give you some exercises that would be different for you. Obviously you are probably building some muscle but I would assume should still be losing something in a 3 month period.

sumueulu
on 2/22/12 6:00 am
From what your sample diet looks like, I would omit some of the carbs. I had been in a stall eating similar foods and I cut out all starchy carbs, I'm on my 10th day, and I've dropped 5 lbs
H.A.L.A B.
on 2/22/12 7:38 am
Some of us can't lose fat while eating carbs... I know I would gain some what I lost if I ate like you do. 
Iif I eat carbs - even good carbs - I gain weight. 

Some people loves working out and they will eat more carbs so they can exercise...

But if yu plan to lose weight... then you may need to limit calories and carbs more than you do now.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Reddheadd7
on 2/22/12 7:41 am - CA
But what about the fact that I'm 7 months out and only have lost 37 lbs?? Isn't there something wrong with that? I tried lowering my carbs at 1200 calories and didn't even go into ketosis, nothing! My body is being quite impossible.
H.A.L.A B.
on 2/22/12 8:18 am
At 7 months I was at 800-1000 cal per day.  Low carbs.   And exercise. 
The body has a lot of stored carbs... it may take days or 2 weeks to work it out (unless you exercise).
I know it is not fair... But that's why some of us got fat... we did not really eat too much..
My body hate losing.  And loses gaining.

I am almost 4 years out. maintenance.  And I am app 163 lbs... muscles and bones... with some fat (20%?) size 6-8.
what I ate today:
1/2 cup sunflower seeds (raw - I don't digest them very well... know for fact - so count 1/4 cup as real food)
coffee + coconut milk (1/2 cup)
protein shake with 1 TBS of almond butter
3 protein cookies (total 240 cal, 24 gr proteins, 9 -10 gr fiber, 16 gr fat, and net 6 gr carbs - that's for 3 cookies)
pork loin (baked, no carbs, some fat - not much)
quest bar (3 gr net carbs, 20 gr proteins,6 fat)

tea and water.  Vitamins and minerals.   
Once I get home - late - I plan to have chicken and green beans... 
exercise : walking - 30 min + hose cleaning, laundry, stairs.

It is not much I maintain on that. or lose very slowly. If I eat more - I gain. If I want to lose- I need to eat less... 

When I maintain - I do not limit how much lean proteins and non starchy veggies I eat.   But then again - if I eat dense proteins and veggies.. I have a lot of restriction...  so I don't really eat much of that...  But when I want to lose (If I gain some due to carbs ) I first decarb - 2 weeks. Then measure portions and eat on a clock. And stop before I am full. 

I lost over 100 lbs in less than 10 months because I could not eat much... I was happy if I could eat 800 cal... Had to work hard to be able to eat 1000-1200 
I am not  saying it is your fault - or that you are doing something wrong.. but some of us make too much insulin.  (I know I do) and insulin is designed to store any carbs... and prevent fat loss...
It is not fair...  but that' why some of us need the drastic surgery.

Check the BOTT group - for people *****gained and try to lose... and see how many of us have to restrict calories very drastically to lose weight...  

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 454 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 412 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 353 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 436 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 353 views