passing gas

Mary Catherine
on 2/25/12 5:58 am
 Gas was only a big problem when I consumed milk or sugar alcohols.  I became lactose intolerant pretty quickly after surgery.  There are also chewable vitamins that have sugar alcohols and give me a lot of gas.  And all the sugarfree candy, popsicles, pudding, etc were a problem.  

I learned to avoid most of the gas.
mpjones
on 2/25/12 8:17 am
Thanks all for your replies--there's so much I finding out from this forum.
happy_baker
on 2/25/12 9:42 am, edited 2/24/12 9:42 pm
RNY on 02/15/12
Well--there's two different kinds of gas.

The gas that causes pain is surgical gas, the stuff they pump into your abdominal cavity to make it easier to maneuver around in there. That kind of gas dissipates into your tissues and does not...er, exit through your digestive system.

The gas that causes farting can be controlled to a small extent by what you eat, but really, it's sort of inevitable. Your digestive system will be seriously manipulated with this surgery, and there's really no escaping it.

You can still excuse yourself to another room if you feel it coming, but if one slips out, you'll just have to learn to laugh it off and say "excuse me" without getting all embarrassed. Your husband farts. Your children (if you have any) fart. Everyone farts. It happens. Roll with the punches, you'll be just fine.
_._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. 
Check out my video blog!  www.youtube.com/user/HappilyShrinking/videos
Highest weight: 269.  Surgery weight: 233.  Goal weight: 144, and then we'll see.. 
undergoingchange
on 2/25/12 11:26 am
I hope your gas is not too bad and that you can avoid any embarrassing situations.

All my life I have heard this saying, and I have to agree with it.

"Better to fart and bear the shame than not to fart and bear the pain."

This is sooo true sometimes after surgery.

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 66 replies · 461 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 61 replies · 471 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 37 replies · 314 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 31 replies · 354 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 5 replies · 47 views
Recent Topics