what to order when eating out?

cudagirl15
on 2/27/12 3:07 am
 i am young, 21 years old. i find that my boyfriend, family and friends always are going out to eat. i avoid this as much as possible because it is so unhealthy. I got surgury december 19th and have only been out to eat a few times however, am always staring at the menu trying to pick the best option!

What do you suggest to order at this stage of my life after WLS?
Jennifer M.
on 2/27/12 3:13 am - MN
RNY on 02/17/12
 I don't know where you are going out, but by now, you should be on solid foods, and your tolerances should be more evened out.  If it were we, I'd order a grilled meat/fish/poultry entree... or simply ask my boyfriend to order a grilled meat/poultry/fish entree and eat a few ounces off of his entree.   

If it's served with veggies you can tolerate and you have room after eating your protein, you can have some of those.  

Don't be afraid to order off the menu at a typical place.  Most places can give you a plain chicken breast or medium rare cut of beef with veggies.  

If you want specific menu ideas, you might want to tell us where you go eat (maybe link to online menus).   

iowa_missie74
on 2/27/12 3:15 am - IA
Im 6 months out and I still dread restaurants, lol. You are a few months out...soup is a good choice, fish with steamed veggies, salads...Id ask for dressing on the side, just so it's not overdone. Definitely stay away from bread! It will feel like a rock in your pouch :)  Some places offer half sizes on certain item, like salads. Good luck!

rbb825
on 2/27/12 4:07 pm - Suffern, NY
why do you dread restaurants? I love eating out./  I can practically order anything off the menu at this point but even at 6 months, there were tons of choices - any meats, fishes, chicken, eggs, salads, even a wrap is fine

lebrunfive
on 2/27/12 3:16 am
a lot of times I just eat a few bites of whatever my husband orders.  something off the appetizer menu would be a smaller portion......and my old standby........a cup of chili, and a lot of places have that.  good luck--experiment and have fun, you know what you can have and not have :)
Paul C.
on 2/27/12 3:17 am - Cumming, GA
 I order whatever I want that has MEAT!
Paul C.
First 5K 9/27/20 46:32 - 11 weeks post op  (PR 28:55 8/15/11)
First 10K 7/04/2011 1:03      
      First 15K 9/18/2011 1:37
First Half Marathon 10/02/2011 2:27:44 (
PR 2:24:35)   
First Half Ironman 9/30/12 7:32:04
myminime
on 2/27/12 3:19 am - Eugene, OR
I've done a veggie and hummus plate or wings off the appetizer menu, or a grilled chicken or turkey sandwich and just eaten the insides. The sides usually go to my kids - most places will let me sub fruit for the starches and my kids will eat fruit all day long

I've done burgers once or twice - leave the sauce off and do a bit of ketchup and mustard on the side and ditch the bun.

Team events are always team lunches, so I've dealt with the going out a few more times than not
HW:  255  SW:  225.7  CW:  156.3

Tessie W.
on 2/27/12 4:34 am
I love the challenge of eating out.  (and that I usually have enough for 2 more meals leftover!)

We went out last week - I got::  salad with blue cheese dressing and ate about 1/3 of it - dipped fork in dressing), grilled chicken with bbq sauce and a baked sweet potato.  I brought 2/3 of the chicken and potato home with me.

I don't receommend at this stage ordering anything out you haven't tried at home.

Last Friday I ordered beer battered fi**** came with mac and cheese.  I at 1/4 of the fish and 1/5 of the mac and cheese.  Sure - not an ideal meal - but I love the fish fries of Lent and real life is having it!.  I celebrated that a year ago I'd have eaten all the fish, all the mac and heck probalby would have had dessert too! 

Linda-P
on 2/27/12 9:52 am - Farmville, NC
RNY on 01/11/12
shrimp ****tail, wings, or refried beans, ground beef, or I order a club sandwich and eat the meat

cleach1972
on 2/28/12 1:02 am
I went out to eat for the first time last Friday. I took my son to O'Charley's to celebrate an award and I ordered the cedar plank grilled talapia with steamed broccoli and I had a salad(lettuce, tomato slice, cucumber slice, hold the cheese and croutons) with apple cider vinegarette on the side with a glass of unsweet tea with lemon....needless to say I still have fish in the fridge and I've eaten it for lunch twice...lol...Like you I was terrified of eating out but if I know in advance I go online and check out the menu so I'll have an idea before I get there. That way I won't be tempted with stuff thats not too good for me.