Being a vegetarian after surgery...is that possible?

artroxy blue
on 3/1/12 4:15 am - MA
RNY on 08/14/12
 I'm wondering if it's possible to become a vegetarian post-op? I'm waiting for my date, and my husband wants to do more vegetarian foods. I applaude his efforts in getting healthier, but I'm not sure it's going to work for my new life. I won't be able to have huge salads or eat tons of nuts. Anyone have experience with this? Thanks!
hedrider
on 3/1/12 4:19 am - Midlothian, TX
It's completely possible.  I eat more vegetarian meals now than I did pre-op due to taste preferences changing and tolerance to meats sometimes.  There are several vegetarians here that will chime up as well.

I don't get what not being able to eat HUGE salads or TONS of nuts has to do with it.  You won't be able to eat huge steaks or tons of chicken breasts either... :)

It's possible.  I actually prefer it.
Heather
Since 2008 my team has raised over $42,000 to fight breast cancer.

happy_baker
on 3/1/12 4:21 am, edited 3/1/12 4:29 am
RNY on 02/15/12
Sure. Vegetarians, especially those who eat eggs and dairy, shouldn't have a hard time. Even vegans, as long as they eat healthy, protein-rich foods, shouldn't have a problem post-op.

Ova-lacto Vegetarian protein options:
Eggs
Low fat cottage cheese, cream cheese, regular cheese
Milk
Whey protein powder

As well as:

Vegan protein options:
Soy protein powder
Soy yogurts, cheeses
Beans, lentils, nuts (though nuts are more fat than protein)
Flax
Quinoe
Soy, tofu, tempeh, seitan

You'd have lots of options, but you'd have to eat a bit more frequently and possibly supplement with powders more than meat eaters. You would also have to keep an extra close watch on your iron levels.

The problems people often encounter when going veggie in an attempt to lose weight (I'm not assuming this is your husband's reason) is that there are a LOT of vegetarian and vegan junk foods, and people tend to assume that just because those products are vegetarian/vegan/organic, that they're healthy. And that's not always true. I've known quite a few fat vegetarians.

As long as you watch what you eat and make sure you're getting enough protein, there's no reason a person can't be meat-free after surgery.
_._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. 
Check out my video blog!  www.youtube.com/user/HappilyShrinking/videos
Highest weight: 269.  Surgery weight: 233.  Goal weight: 144, and then we'll see.. 
poet_kelly
on 3/1/12 4:36 am - OH
I was one of those fat vegetarians!

You know, I don't think I eat any more often than many post ops I know that eat meat.  I eat six times a day most days.  And I don'****ch my iron any more closely than post ops that eat meat, either.  I get my labs done twice a year, but that's what we should all be doing, regardless of whether or not we eat meat.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

happy_baker
on 3/1/12 5:01 am
RNY on 02/15/12
Right, but you're also 4 years out. For someone like the OP who would be freshly post-op and (it seems) fairly new to vegetarianism, she might need to be a little more vigilent.

As mentioned below, you're the expert, so I could be completely wrong. I just know from personal experience as a former vegan, that even pre-op, I had to really monitor my protein intake, because I had issues with anemia. I just figured a fresh post-op would have to be even more careful. 

Funnily enough, once I started adding meat back into my diet (man, I love cheeseburgers), I really started to crave it. I have had the WORST jones for good corned beef lately. 
_._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. 
Highest weight: 269.  Surgery weight: 233.  Goal weight: 144, and then we'll see.. 
poet_kelly
on 3/1/12 5:12 am - OH
That may be true, for someone newly post op and new to a vegetarian lifestyle.

I didn't realize you used to be vegan.  Or if I knew, I forgot.  Why did you decide to eat meat again?  That's interesting that you started to really crave it.  I wonder what would happen if I started eating some meat again?  Not that I have any intention of doing so.  I think I would have a really hard time eating any  meat, at least at first.  The idea is just repulsive to me.  (I don't mean that I am repulsed by other people eating meat, it's just the idea of eating it myself that really turns me off).  It has been a long, long time since I craved any meat.  I don't even remember the last time.  Maybe 20 years ago?

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

happy_baker
on 3/1/12 5:21 am
RNY on 02/15/12
I grew up vegetarian. My mother never cooked meat, so I didn't eat it. As an adult, I had never really developed the taste for it, so it just wasn't part of my diet. 

Then I decided if I was going to do something, I might as well do it all the way. I was really repulsed by slaughterhouses and the inhumane treatment of animals and the grotesque way they're kept and processed. So I laid off animal products entirely. I was vegan for a good 4-5 years. 

I don't really remember when I stopped. It was probably just like all my other failed dietary commitments...just a taste of something here or there, which leads to a full slide downhill. It was probably, in all honesty, a cheeseburger that gateway'd me back. Cheeseburgers are my kryptonite. 

I still don't eat a LOT of meat. I don't eat pork or shellfish at all, no white fish, and only a little red meat. I eat mostly tuna, turkey, and chicken. But every now and then, when I have beef (like last night), omg, I don't want to stop. It's ridiculous. 
GeminiSnake
on 3/1/12 7:43 am
RNY on 03/20/12
Me too a fat vegetarian! LOL

poet_kelly
on 3/1/12 4:25 am - OH
Sure, it's possible.  I've been a vegetarian since long before my surgery.  I do eat big salads, though I didn't eat salad for the first couple months after surgery.  I eat nuts occasionally but certainly not tons of them.  It's especially easy if you're still planning to eat dairy products.  It's a bit more challenging if you want to give up dairy, but still possible.

And, a little plug for Nik, on Bariatricfoodie.com next week she is having a whole series about being a vegetarian post op.

hlacy
on 3/1/12 4:29 am - Chandler, AZ
HA! You beat me to it...I was typing mine reply while you posted :)
"Keep a green tree in your heart and perhaps a singing bird will come"           

Most Active
Recent Topics