Having trouble with staying on track pre surgery

kimchigirl
on 3/3/12 7:17 pm - MA
Hi everyone! This is my first post since my intro on here. At this point in the process, I have been cleared by the nutrionist and the pyschologist, had my sleep study, and am okayed to start going to the 4 mandatory support meetings. There are 4 consecutive ones and the next set start on March 7th. THe program I am going to require a $350 fee but they only require $150 of it to be payed by the first meeting. I'm pretty sure I will have to do another sleep study with the CPAP machine. My follow up with the neurologist to review my sleep study is in a week and a half. 

The only problem I am encountering is staying on track with the low carb eating they want me to do in order to lose weight before surgery. I did really well for 2 weeks, then slowly started letting carbs in and the past four days have been having a carbfest. It was my birthday on the 28th, and my partner made me this amazing coconut cake.
Do other people's doctors want them to specifically do a low carb meal plan? OBviously this is part of the problem in the first place, that I can't stick with something, but I am determined to put my all into this, I just have a lot of trouble mostly late at night when my bad habits battle me.
Is there like an insomnia group on here, lol, of other people who struggle at night, that I can maybe chat with to stay strong? Are than any tips anyone has? I lost 8 pounds since my nutritionist appt, and have gained 7 of it back. Agh!
hoosierapple
on 3/3/12 8:24 pm
Revision on 06/05/18

My dr/nut put me on a 1700 cal... High protein.low carb/low sugar diet.   Which for the office  I go to seems to be the standard.   A week before surgery I will be switching to the 'week before surgery diet" ... Luckily that one isnt clear liquids like most have. 

Good luck on your journey... It's a tough road... But will be worth it.   :)

I went back to an old hobby of mine - crocheting ... To keep my hands busy.   Maybe you have something you can do as well?  

Take care.   :)

kimchigirl
on 3/4/12 9:44 am - MA
 That's so funny that you say that! I learned how to crochet a few years ago and have been keeping my yarn next to the bed. When I am working on something I like, (right now it's a pair of fingerless wrist warmers) it def keeps my interest and keeps me focused on crocheting right through any cravings. But I am always working on a million patterns at once and when I get stuck or don't get a part of the pattern, I get frustrated and toss it aside. I swear crochting has been such a support, sometimes it's like therapy, it helped me quit smoking in Oct. Glad to find another crocheter!

hoosierapple
on 3/4/12 11:17 am
Revision on 06/05/18

lol.  I have a ton of projects going too.  It has been a great relaxer and stress reliever for me.   

Good Luck!

-Apple

keepitoff91
on 3/3/12 10:25 pm
The pre-surgery diet is important to help shrink your liver for surgery. It doesn't happen too often, but people have posted here thaT they went in for surgery and couldn't complete the procedure due to their livers being too large and rigid. Nobody is perfect, pick yourself up and try again. You can do it!!!

kimchigirl
on 3/4/12 9:48 am - MA
thank you for the encouragement. I have to remember that. I don't know what I would do if that happnened!
Jenya37
on 3/4/12 3:33 am - Cloquet, MN
 @Hoosierapple- crocheting!!  What a great idea....Thank you!  I should definitely pick that hobby up again, would probably help with the hand to mouth habit!
Jennifer

Dagne Tripplehorn
on 3/4/12 5:26 am - OR
RNY on 04/06/12
 Kimchigirl, I feel you, I hear you, I'm with you. I've lost the same seven pounds six times in the past year. All that's holding me up for surgery is...me! I can't seem to stick with anything.

Daytimes are plenty hard, but I had terrible night cravings, and still do occasionally. They're much less intense now. I bought little "personal"-sized puddings and, on the advice of my nutritionist and psychologist, planned a meal for bedtime. For me, that's about nine or ten o'clock. I usually have a pudding and a little satsuma/mandarin orange. I could have meat and a veg, or anything. 

I used to lie awake until dawn if I was the least bit hungry. The late meal has cured that, mostly. Sometimes I take an OTC diphenhydramine for sleep.

I pray/plead for the willingness to stick with the weight loss, low carb diet for just eight pounds. But at least I'm sleeping!

Let's indulge in lots of our favorite proteins this week. And if our water intake hasn't been per plan, let's bring that up to goal, too.

Go, us!     

BWB
on 3/4/12 11:24 am
Make sure you are drinking all the water or non-carbonated beverages that you can and you shouldn't be as hungry. I can sympathize with you but surgery will be a waste of time unless you can switch off your old habits. The weight loss is so worth the sacrifice.

Most Active
Recent Topics