Lost my way...outta control!

(deactivated member)
on 3/6/12 9:05 am
I'm sorry to hear you're struggling so much after reaching your goal! You should be proud of yourself for what you've accomplished. I'm a newbie since I'm only 6 weeks out from my RNY but one thing I've heard that works is that when  you get a craving, decide to wait 20 minutes and see if you still want it. Much of the time, you will be distracted by something else and the temptation will pass. If it doesn't, you measure out a small serving of whatever it is and that's all you get. I'm sure it's not easy to do and that's one of the reasons I had to resort to surgery for weight loss but maybe it will help if you delay eating? Just a thought. You can do this! You seem very determined to overcome this.
Shelly S.
on 3/6/12 9:38 am - Mason, MI
Hey Katie,
Wow! You have got some really great support and advice in this thread-----it was helpful just reading the advice of the others and "feelin' the love".

I had a couple of ideas for the cravings and the hungry feeling . . .I have been battling them for a few weeks and I have stumbled upon a few that really do work.

1. I read that a woman burns 300 additional calories daily in the week or so before her TOM, so keep track and add a serving of something healthy if you are hungry or obsessing. Dense protein like tuna or chicken can keep you feeling full.
2. Add fiber powder to your food if it is a slider or to your drinks, it helps you feel full longer.
3. Focus on variety, in color, texture, and taste. I eat at least 1 salad daily with things like: LF shredded cheese, lettuce, chopped cabbage, cukes, dried edemame, seaweed sheets (trader joes), cottage cheese, meat, salsa, mustard, pickles---things that pop with flavor and texture and crunch--- this leaves me satisfied and full.
4. Chew sugarless gum, change pieces and flavors ofter and keep the minty kind on hand when you are preparing food to avoid licking and tasting. I use coupons and hardly ever pay for than .50 per pack.
5. I eat on a schedule and if I feel hunger before it is "time" to eat I make myself drink tea, crystal light, coffee or something--often hunger and thirst feel the same.

I am not saying that I still don't give in, but these are the things I thought might be helpful to you. This is not easy and I am glad you reached out. I will bet money that others out there feel this way too.

Peace and hugs,
Shelly
Shelly Smith    
HW 326 SW 293 CW 180 GW 160        
IrishIze
on 3/6/12 11:18 am, edited 3/6/12 11:20 am - NJ
I had my original RNY back in 2004.  I did very well, but there were problems with my surgery which I won't go into here.   I too was able to eat anything and everything and after awhile I did eat anything and everything.  I too became obsessed with food again and gained back about 70 lbs.  I was very fortunate and able to have a revision and I have to say I'm hoping to do things differently this time around. 

I know I am especially addicted to sugar and white carbs and when I had enough, I would do the 5 Day Pouch Test (not sure if I'm allowed to post links here, but I'm giving it a try).   After two days without sugar and white carbs, I didn't feel the cravings anymore and could generally get myself back under control.   

http://www.5daypouchtest.com/index.html

I also got to the point of being afraid of failure.  I have been seeing a therapist for six years, and while I have learned a lot about myself, I still don't know why I"m addicted to food.   I am also a recovering alcoholic (with 30 years under my belt) and I quit smoking.   Somewhere inside of me there is a hole that I'm trying to fill and I've tried filling it with alcohol, smoking and food.   So, my quest is to fill that hole with something that is not self-destructive. 

Yes, this disease of obesity is way more than the physical.  Don't be afraid of trying.  This is your life.  Food is just food.  Love yourself enough to give yourself two days without sugar, white carbs and junk food.  You'll feel better physically and you'll realize you are stronger than you think.  Don't let the obsession with food run your life.  Take control - you are the ONLY one who can do it.  You have loads of support here, but if you could find a support group or a therapist, I think it might do you a world of good.

Please give it a try.  If you want the surgery to work for you, then you have to put in the work.   Wishing you the courage to JUST SAY NO! 
Irish......  

wericamichele
on 3/6/12 8:31 pm
Dr. Oz just did a show on weightloss aids last week. He mentioned Bilberry tea for cravings. He also talked about Saffron Extract Saterieal 88-90mg. supplement  for appetite suppresson.
Paul C.
on 3/6/12 11:34 pm - Cumming, GA
 Ok so you have some problems that you need to get help to learn how to cope with and change behaviors  no big deal right?  You have identified your problem and you know what you need to do, and now you just once again need to commit to and act upon the current knowledge you have.

Just look over the past year at what you have accomplished face it now in a singles guy world you are a babe, this may or may not have been the goal but it can be motivation to help drive you to the next steps you need to take.  Don't hide in shame or feel like you have failed you haven't.

I have a friend that has given me a phrase that gets me through a race or a training day it is quite simple and very effective.

RFP

Relentless
Forward
Progress

pretty much nothing is impossible if you commit and keep pushing forward, so keep pushing.
Paul C.
First 5K 9/27/20 46:32 - 11 weeks post op  (PR 28:55 8/15/11)
First 10K 7/04/2011 1:03      
      First 15K 9/18/2011 1:37
First Half Marathon 10/02/2011 2:27:44 (
PR 2:24:35)   
First Half Ironman 9/30/12 7:32:04
Paul C.
on 3/7/12 12:37 am - Cumming, GA
 I know this won't come as a total suprise coming from me but if you spend time brining calories in the gym you can afford a few more througout your day.  But again you need to be honest with yourself in regards to what you burn which is based on time and intensity.
Paul C.
First 5K 9/27/20 46:32 - 11 weeks post op  (PR 28:55 8/15/11)
First 10K 7/04/2011 1:03      
      First 15K 9/18/2011 1:37
First Half Marathon 10/02/2011 2:27:44 (
PR 2:24:35)   
First Half Ironman 9/30/12 7:32:04
Cherylkas
on 3/7/12 12:50 am - PA
 Hey Hun sorry your having such a hard time of it. You can do this you just forgot that you can. You are strong and have people here to help when you need it. Come here more and get support you know how great everyone is. 

You know I am just an im,pm txt away if ya need me.
 Come visit me on my bloghttp://apeekintomytreehouse.com/ 

Start weight 282, Surgery weight 265, Current weight 131, Goal weight 140 

A woman is like a tea bag - you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water.  Eleanor Roosevelt

_Donna_
on 3/7/12 12:53 am
Maybe you can look at some of your posts when you were newly post op and remind yourself how pro-active you were with this.
Where did that girl go? You were very inspiring back then.
I hope you get a grip on this soon.
HUGS

RNY 5-5-2011

EthelMae
on 3/7/12 1:08 am - MD
Ms. Katie,

I remember following your journey when it just started and was thrilled to meet you at Nikki's food event in Baltimore.

As for words of encouragement - how about if you don't get your **** together, I will drive down and put my foot up against your ass. 

You have come too far to let thisget to you.

I too can eat anything and sometimes I do and am worried about the possiblity of regaining.  Even though we don't want to admit it, we do need help.  Are you still able to go through the office of your surgeon?  Is there a LCSW or other individual there you can talk to?

Pull your big girl panties back up (and I don't mean the ones that you wore when this journey started) and get back with the program.

~Barb
Highest - 279 (08/2009)     Program Weight - 256 (03/10)  Surgery Weight - 232 (05/24/11)     

~*K J*~
on 3/9/12 8:16 am - MD

HI!
I remember meeting you at Nik's bariatric foodie event back in October and you were such an inspiration. I am now 5 months out and am beggining to do the same things as you are now struggling with 1 year out. I am really glad you posted this as it makes me feel that I am not alone. I have been afraid to post my feelings with being so early out and the backlash that may have ensued. The responses that I see are so helpful and encouraging. We can do this and I thank you and everyone else for their courage and advice. Keep on trucking girl!

~*KJ* HW 330 Day of Sugery 320