Can we please discuss cramps...

DebsGiz
on 3/7/12 7:54 pm - FL

Though I have always had issues with cramps in my feet and legs, I have noticed that they appear to be getting more severe and frequent since surgery three years ago.

I can go a week without experiencing any, and then I'll have day after day where I'm plagued with them.  They almost alway**** at night when I first get into bed.  I don't get them during the day.

I do not think they are the result of dehydration as I'm very mindful about getting all my fluids in.  In addition to my multi vitamin, I also take calcium. vitamin D, vitamin B, Magnesium, and Potassium. 

My doctor recently put me on a muscle relaxer, but only wants me to take it when the cramping is severe.  I've tried the over the counter leg cramp meds and while they do work, I have to sometimes take up to six of them at a time.

Can someone give me/us a "class" on what causes cramps and what things we might try to find some relief?  What could I be missing?  I know I cannot be the only one suffering with this issue.

Thanks for any, and all, input!!!

DEB
cajungirl
on 3/7/12 7:57 pm
Deb, I wish I knew the answer I deal with it also.  I also do the same vitamin/supplement you do.  It alway****s at night for me to and it's usually in my feet. 

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

Kaoz789
on 3/7/12 8:42 pm
 How are your B6, B12 and vitamin E levels though? Maybe something needs to be increased.

DebsGiz
on 3/8/12 9:36 am - FL

My doctor says all my blood-work looks good.  He's actually joked that I could be the "poster child" for weight loss surgery...

Having said that, I will still try and get a copy of the last tests I had to see if someone here might be able to give me somemore insight.  I think it's safe to say that many PCP's are not familiar with WLS; therefore, they may not always be tuning into a problem.

Thank you all for your input as it is so warmly and graciously appreciated... 
seashell6417
on 3/7/12 9:07 pm, edited 3/7/12 9:14 pm - Gaylord, MN
Like the previous poster, the first thing that came to my mind is "what are her levels?" Although you are taking the supplements you could still be deficient. It might be worth a trip to the lab to have blood drawn to check. In addition to B deficiencies, I believe a D or potassium deficiency could also be the culprit (I am sure there are others as well). Just a thought...
Tami

H.A.L.A B.
on 3/7/12 11:34 pm
Salt. Not enough salt may cause that.
I need to use more salt in my diet.  Most of my foods - shakes, home made meals, etc, contains very little salt.  Salt keeps the water inside the body and allows it to stay in.   Not enough salt - and you can drink as much as you want o but if you can't retain it in the muscles - that may cause mineral imbalances. 
Also - I drink green drinks.... they have so many minerals and natural - easy to absorb micro-elements (that apparently my body and my multi is missing).  
I do use very good quality salt- natural pink Himalayan salt - but almost any sea salt will help.   
How is your BP? low BP (100/60-70 or below) may indicate low fluids levels in the body despite good hydration

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

allys
on 3/7/12 11:58 pm
This question came up on another forum I'm on...the general consensus was thyroid imbalance. Might be a good idea to check your levels. Good luck!
Paul C.
on 3/8/12 12:00 am - Cumming, GA
 Electrolyte imbalance
Dehydration
Low Potassium

These are usually the 3 most common things to cause leg cramps.

Try half a banana and so how it works.
Paul C.
First 5K 9/27/20 46:32 - 11 weeks post op  (PR 28:55 8/15/11)
First 10K 7/04/2011 1:03      
      First 15K 9/18/2011 1:37
First Half Marathon 10/02/2011 2:27:44 (
PR 2:24:35)   
First Half Ironman 9/30/12 7:32:04
timetochange
on 3/8/12 9:35 pm
 I really don't know what you need to do for prevention but I can tell you what I do when I get those leg cramps.  I drink an ounce of dill pickle juice. Can't stand the taste but it will give me relief very quickly. This is something I've done for years and have told others about and everyone who has tried it is amazed at the results. 

Good Luck!
Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 434 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 390 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 326 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 430 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?