One Year Surgiversay

Tessie W.
on 3/8/12 11:44 am, edited 3/8/12 11:45 am
One year ago today I had my surgery.  Would I do it again - YES!!!  Don't get me wrong - there are days I miss eating, I mean really eating - but they are few and far between.  There is nothing I can't eat and I do eat it if I want it.  But when I look at how much I would have eaten a year ago verses what I eat of it now - WOW! 

I had labs done last week and they were all spot on.  I am lucky.  I take 1 chewable Centrum Silver twice a day (I am 52), 2 chewable calcium citrate twice a day (usually - but not always good), a supplemental Zinc and Biotin and B12 injection of 1mm once a month.   I do not take iron and do not have any in my vitamin - but my iron level was actually high by one point!  I do ALWAYS get in at least 65g of protein and usually closer to 85. 

I give thanks because I know I am lucky to have a body that seems ot have embraced this and has not to this point taken a fits!  :-)  I did have my gallbladder out mid Feb. but I had stones prior to surgery but did not have attacks so it was not removed. 

I am down a total of 136 pounds.  30 were pre-surgery but I did gain 10 while in the hospital.  I would have lost more if I was more methodical about not eating carbs, etc. but I am so happy with things the way they are as I feel my lifestyle and diet choices are lifetime do-able for me.

My advise, if I get to give any:  Always remember it is YOUR journey.  No one will go through it like you do.  No one elses body will respond to it like yours.  It's good to read of others experiences, but ultimately it is yours to embrace and live through.  If you have not had surgery yet - make sure you have a great relationship with your surgeon and follow their plan.  Yes - it will be different than someone elses, but if you have taken the time to find someone who makes you comfortable and who you trust - then follow their plan and enjoy the journey!  It will be really hard at times - but you too will look back a year later and have your own "WOWS"! 

Thanks for letting me share!  Starting weight:  351.4  Current:  215.4!!!!!

Kaoz789
on 3/8/12 11:59 am
 Congrats! It's great to hear your story. ^_^

Carrie W.
on 3/8/12 12:06 pm - KY
Congrats, Tessie!!
  HW 347/SW 328/CW 176/GW 160                   

dasie
on 3/8/12 6:12 pm
Congratulations on your one year....and great advice for those pre ops and newly post op...really for all of us.

tulips52
on 3/8/12 11:40 pm
 Congratulations on your journey and things you have learned!!! Great advice!

rhondanewme
on 3/9/12 12:04 am - Grantsboro, NC
Congratulations- you've done a great job getting through the first year! Great advice for all of us!
christinalee
on 3/9/12 1:56 am - At Home in, NH
Tessie, always glad to read your posts. You've remained level-headed about your approach to this journey. I respect your steadfastness amidst all the "carbs are evil" hyperbole that can flow in the WL community. Your journey is one I truly admire.

Congrats on your one year milestone!

"Just keep swimming." ~ Dorrie

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 473 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 430 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 364 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 447 views
Recent Topics