any other weight loss procedures I can get after rny?

Nicole T.
on 3/13/12 1:58 am
just curious if there is any other surgeries that can help me get the rest of the weight off. it has been four years and I haven't been able to do it myself and i really want to get another 60 lbs off. any suggestions? obviously i am going to keep trying to do it myself but am scared i won't be able to. my mind gets in the way too much!
momsal
on 3/13/12 2:02 am - PA
I wish we could SMACK our minds sometimes  they can be our worse enemies
Cleopatra_Nik
on 3/13/12 2:09 am - Baltimore, MD
Some surgeons do "band over bypass." Some actually do both at the same time, I have heard. The band has the advantage of being adjustable so that you if you feel like you can eat too much you can correct that right away. The bypass? If you can eat too much it's largely a function of your head to not do so. With some of us, that's ok. For the rest not so much.
poet_kelly
on 3/13/12 2:12 am - OH
You can have a lap band put around your pouch, something I would absolutely not do.  Far too many complications.  You can revise to a DS, if you can find a surgeon that will perform the surgery.  Although surgeons may be reluctant to perform a revision if you only need to lose 60 pounds and your insurance may not want to pay for it.

Also, if it's a matter of your mind getting in the way, a second surgery may not help.  There's not an operation they can do on your mind.  Therapy might be more helpful instead.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

hedrider
on 3/13/12 2:50 am - Midlothian, TX
Do you need a second surgery or do you just need to adjust your current eating habits?

Have you broken your tool or is it your diet that is broken?  If it's the first it's fixable.  If it's the second... that's on you.  No amount of surgery will fix that if you don't fix it for you.

What's a typical day look like for you?  Calories, exercise, types of food - are you eating lots of sugar, fats, drinking with or soon after meals?
Heather
Since 2008 my team has raised over $42,000 to fight breast cancer.

Nicole T.
on 3/13/12 3:22 am
it's mainly my own behavior. i have issues w/ insulin so it is very important i keep my sugar and processed foods very low. and those are my comfort foods. i can't seem to stay away long enough to lose more weight. i've been in therapy for a very long time and i know what my issues are. but for some reason i can't seem to change. my rny helped immensely and i would like another boost to get the rest of the weight off. i really need to lose more than 60 but would be very happy there. i guess the reality is i am stuck w/ what i have and need to just try to change. i wi**** wasn't so freaking hard. i feel like a major failure.
H.A.L.A B.
on 3/13/12 3:30 am
You know that even if you get DS - eating carbs and sugars may prevent you getting the weight off?  Even for DS - if they eat carbs - they gain weight. Specially simple carbs.
On top of that - some of them have as many issues with alcohols as we do (RNY) ...
The too much insulin - may or may not be corrected. There is some theory that states that post op RNY we just make more insulin - (grew more cells in pancreas) - as a result of early and then late dumping.  That's why it is so critical to eat less sugar and simple carbs.    And that's why RH shows up 1-2 years post op and not right away - the pancreas learn to make more insulin.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

poet_kelly
on 3/13/12 3:31 am - OH
You're right, it is hard.  But I don't think there is any surgery that will make you change your behavior and stop eating for comfort.  Your therapist hasn't been able to help you find other ways to comfort yourself?

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Nicole T.
on 3/13/12 3:53 am
i've suggested a lobotomy but....

oh yes lots of suggestions but i'm dealing w/ a lifetime of stuff that hasn't been resolved despite every effort to do so. it's very frustrating and i don't understand why i can't change long term. i don't know the answer. i am just going to keep trying i guess. what other choice do i have?
poet_kelly
on 3/13/12 5:26 am - OH
What type of therapy have you tried?  There are different kinds of therapy, you know.  If you think you are addicted to food, you can seek treatment for addiction.  If not, cognitive behavioral therapy may help.  If you've been seeing the same therapist or trying the same type of therapy for a long time and it's not working, perhaps it's time to try a different technique.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 451 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 408 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 39 replies · 345 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 436 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 39 replies · 345 views