soft capsule d3

gi_bode
on 3/13/12 9:57 am
its all they had at Costgo, and its a big bottle...can I poke it with a pin or drizzle it on my tongue before swallowing?

2000unit size
open RNY December 21, 2010
St. Vincent's Charity Hospital

H.A.L.A B.
on 3/13/12 10:01 am
you can... but that is not the problem.. it is oil based and we malabsorb oils and anything in oil...
Yo may need up to 10,000 IU D3 per day - dry form.  The oils - not sure how much - if any we can absorb.  

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

rocky513
on 3/13/12 10:04 am - WI
You need dry D3.  Anything suspended in oil is a waste of money...we can't absorb it.  I get dry D3  from Vitalady (online store).  I take 50,000 units twice a week...but my D was really low.  You need to check your labs to figure out how much you need to take.

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

poet_kelly
on 3/13/12 10:44 am - OH
Yeah, you can... put that won't help you absorb it.  The stuff in there is oil and you malabsorb fats.  Whether the fat is inside a capsule or dirzzled on your tongue, you still won't absorb it very well.  You'll absorb some of it, just not all of it.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

DanniGirl423
on 3/13/12 11:59 am - Columbus, OH
 I get the d3 liquid caps and the pharmacist told me it was what was best for bariatric patients and that is how it was prescribed...So this is wrong information?  I am on my 7th week post op.
poet_kelly
on 3/13/12 12:08 pm - OH
If the pharmacist told you that is how D3 is prescribed, yes, that is wrong information.  D3 is not available by prescription, only D2 is.

D2 is prescribed in soft gels, the footbal shaped things with oil inside.  But vitamins in oil are NOT best for RNY patients, because we malabsorb fats and oil is a fat.  We don't want to malabsorb our vitamin D3.

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

DanniGirl423
on 3/13/12 12:15 pm - Columbus, OH
OHhh...you know what?  I am sooo glad you said something.  My script from doctor clearly said vit d3 and I went and got it and I have been taking once a week!  The pharmacy filled it wrong!!  I am sooo going to give them an earful tomorrow!  No wonder my blood tests were still bad!  
poet_kelly
on 3/13/12 12:18 pm - OH
Well, they sort of filled it wrong.  There is no prescription D3, only D2.  They are legally allowed to make certain substitutions, including substituting D2 for D3.  It would be really nice if they told you they were doing that, but legally they are not required to.

If you need a large dose of D3, I order mine from vitalady.com.  She has 50,000 IU capsules, dry D3, the kind we need.

DanniGirl423
on 3/13/12 12:32 pm - Columbus, OH
 The thing I am most upset about is that I specifically asked her what the differences between them were and asked if the one I was getting from her was the best for bariatric patients.  She said yes as if she was sure.  She didn't look it up or tell me she didn't know.  I work for a major pharmaceutical company and when our pharmacists don't know, they will research it or simply tell the patient that they do not know.  I am so bad off financially right now and the $24 that I spent on it is a lot to me.  I have to juggle bills sometimes to get my vitamins since they are not covered by insurance companies.  Sorry, felt the need to vent a bit.  ;)
poet_kelly
on 3/13/12 12:39 pm - OH
Of course they should look it up or just say they don't know.  I encourage you to let them know you're unhappy that they gave you incorrect information and didn't even tell you they were giving you D2 instead of the D3 written on your prescription.  I"m saying legally they are allowed to do what they did, but that doesn't mean it was a good thing to do.

And now you're going to need to spend another $20 getting the right stuff.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 440 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 395 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 333 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 432 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 333 views