XPOST: HUGE NSV -- New 5K PR

Frances S.
on 3/19/12 2:09 am - Crystal Falls, MI
  The Shamrock Shuffle was my first 5K last year.  I had walked it mostly with my son last year.  I wasn't nearly as ready as I thought I would be, but also I didn't want to push past my then 10 year old because I wanted to be supportive of him.  I doubt I would have finished much faster than we did.  We finished in right around 45 minutes last year.

My second 5K was in July.  It's about half a mile longer than a standard 5K and I finished that one in 48 minutes.. so slightly faster than the shuffle.

Fast forward to this past December.  I was feeling somewhat defeated in my weight loss.  I was two years post-op from RNY and still thought I hadn't "arrived" or achieved "goal".  When New Year's rolled around, Jan (fatfreemama) suggested we come up with a word for 2012.  I really wanted my word to not be weight related because I needed something I could achieve that I could have full control over.  So I decided it would be "Athletic".

When I started getting serious about exercise in January I was "jogging" at 4.2mph.  Yes that should have been a fast walk, but it felt too fast to even walk then.  I probably used the treadmill a couple of times a week, and used my elliptical one or two days a week.  Slowly my speed increased until the last couple of weeks I could maintain 5mph for 20-30 minutes on the treadmill.  I was spinning twice a week as well. 

So based on that, I figured it would take me 36-37 minutes for the Shamrock.  I hadn't ran on the road AT ALL.  So I was slightly worried.

When the race started I could feel the weight of my legs and was slightly winded but figured I needed to keep a positive attitude and just keep going.  It was a crowded race and I was actually passing people now and then, but tried to stay to the right for the times that I felt I needed to walk for a bit.  There are two relatively large hills on the route and I had to walk up those.  I walked when I needed to, but tried to start jogging again as soon as I felt recovered enough to do so.  I had my phone tracking my run in my back pocket, but I couldn't hear it announcing my pace.  I really had no idea how I was doing.

Once I hit the halfway mark I knew I had less to go than I had already finished and that motivated me.  It was a bit on the warm side so that kind of stunk, but it wasn't terrible.  I was very thankful for that one water station though.

There were 5 adults from my family participating and 3 kids.  I knew I wouldn't beat my brother in law.. he was anticipating a 24 minute finish.  I was going back and forth with my sister in law and nephew throughout the race.  I would pass them.. they would pass me.. and so on.  At the end of the race they were ahead of me and I thought I would have really liked to finish before Gretchen.  I realized that wasn't going to happen and I needed to focus on me.  The last of the hills were behind us and we were winding back into down-town Madison.  I could finally see the finish line and I pushed it harder. 

There were two clocks at the finish line.. later I figured out one was for the 10K and the other was for the 5K.  I was a little disappointed when I looked up and saw 43 minutes, but then this timer on the right was 36 minutes.. huh?  Oh.  That 43 minute time was for 10K runners..

After meeting up with the rest of our family we made our way to the local pub that was hosting the after-race party and found a table.  There was a station setup to print race results for participants so we headed over.

I was thoroughly elated to see my time:  34:33!!

2 1/2 minutes faster than my goal.. and 10 1/2 minutes faster than last year!

Guess what...

I feel accomplished... and ready to keep moving forward! 

To all of you out there that "really wants to lose another 20-30 pounds" I want to encourage you to try to stop focusing so much on your weight and try to shift your thinking to living well and working on goals and accomplishments that require you to live well -- and really don't matter what the number on the scale says.
KittenLove
on 3/19/12 2:10 am - Around Knoxville, TN
Way to go!!!! that is so awesome!

I had a 5K on Saturday and was hoping for a PR but it didn't happen -- but that is OK!

Be happy. 

Skinnygirlme
on 3/19/12 2:21 am - UT
RNY on 09/05/12
 Congratulations! Great accomplishment!
  I believe in me...the best is yet to be!                        
Cleopatra_Nik
on 3/19/12 2:43 am - Baltimore, MD
You go girl!
Sunnygurl
on 3/19/12 3:12 am - VA
RNY on 02/28/12
WOW, that is fantastic....  Thanks for the post and the encouraging words. 

fatfreemama
on 3/19/12 3:15 am - San Jose, CA
I am SOOO gosh darn proud of you!  Congratulations!

Jan
Bay to Breakers 12K May 15, 2011 (1:54:40)           First 5K 5/23/11 (41:22)
Half Marathons: Napa:  7/18/10  (4:11:21)   7/17/11 (3:30:58)   7/15/12  (3:13:11.5) 

SJ Rock and Roll: 10/2/10 (3:58:22)  Run Surf City: 2/6/11 (3:19:54) 
                         Diva: 5/6/12 (3:35:00) 
HW/SW/CW  349/326/176
"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." - Albert Einstein

christinalee
on 3/19/12 3:20 am - At Home in, NH
awesome, awesome stats! I bet you are still floating on that PR cloud! Congrats on your "athletic" achievements!

"Just keep swimming." ~ Dorrie

happy_baker
on 3/19/12 3:43 am
RNY on 02/15/12
 Can't even tell you how awesome that is.
_._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. 
Check out my video blog!  www.youtube.com/user/HappilyShrinking/videos
Highest weight: 269.  Surgery weight: 233.  Goal weight: 144, and then we'll see.. 
Jenny_D
on 3/19/12 6:32 am - Canton, GA
Way to go! I am doing my first 5k in April and this was very inspiring for me!

My goal is just to finish this first one. LOL.
Jenny         HW: 268 / SW: 254 / CW: 180 / GW: 140
First 5K: 4.21.2012 - Time: 34:45 - 2nd Place in age group
Second 5K: 6.2.2012 - Time 37:09

Frances S.
on 3/19/12 7:01 am - Crystal Falls, MI
 Awesome!  Good luck on your training and your 5K..
Most Active
Recent Topics