New Here...Looking for some Support

K B.
on 3/19/12 7:50 am, edited 3/19/12 7:50 am
RNY on 04/30/12
Hi everyone, I have opted to have RNY. I am meeting with the surgeon this Thursday. I am excited and nervous. I am really stressing about telling work I need time off. How much time I will need to take. Also, I am looking for tips on losing the pre-op weight. I have had all my testing and after my nutrition appointment on the 27th, I should be able to schedule my date. Hope to hear some tips and some support while I process everything that is going on.

Kathleen
poet_kelly
on 3/19/12 7:56 am - OH
If you're having lap surgery, most people seem to take two to four weeks off, depending on what kind of work they do.  Everyone is different though and some have an easier recovery than others.  If you have open surgery or have any complications you may need more time.

How much weight do you need to lose pre op?  I think some fairly easy things you can do are avoiding obvious junk food (no chips, no candy, etc), no drinks with calories (so no juice, no regular soda, etc) and trading veggies for some of the starches (like having veggies or salad as a side dish instead of pasta or rice or bread).  You can still eat good food, and a good amount of it, and lots of variety, but you'll cut your calories a lot and you'll be practicing for the way you'll need to eat after surgery.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Marcia101
on 3/19/12 9:51 am
RNY on 06/22/22
Kathleen,

Everyone recovers in there own speed. But there is an average of 3 to 4 weeks off, depending on what kind of surgery is done. Just try to allow your self time to heal. I see it all the time, People think they will be ready in one week... Then you hear them say "What the heck was I thinking". lol. 

Here on OH you will have plenty of support. I'm very excited for you and the new journey your going to en bark on. CONGRATS!!!
K B.
on 3/19/12 10:08 am
RNY on 04/30/12
I have decided to have Gastric Bypass. I have to lose 13.5lbs pre-op. I had lost 6 and now I have gained 1 back and kind of stuck. I am trying to work out a bit more, but it is hard to get motivated. I wake up at 5 every morning and drive 54 miles to work. I know I am amking excuses, but I just need to switch somethings up and stay motivated! Thanks again for your advice :)
mcalkins
on 3/19/12 10:22 am - Cheyenne, WY
I had a lap RNY and needed 8 weeks off...but I am also older than most of you--late 50's.  It just took me longer to recover.

Good luck.
Mary

Cheryl C.
on 3/19/12 12:38 pm - NY
RNY on 02/29/12 with
I had my Lap RNY done on 2/29, and was back to work a week and a half later.  I'm 46.  My first two days back were half days, but by that Wednesday, I was back full swing!  I found sitting around the house to be a bit rough - every damn commercial on TV has food in it!  LOL  I'm no expert, but I make sure to follow ALL the surgeon/nut's rules to the tee...and so far, so good. 

Good luck!!!

Cher    

K B.
on 3/19/12 9:31 pm
RNY on 04/30/12
 Thanks! This really helps and makes me feel a lot better. Did you tell work you were having the surgery? I am really stuck on how/what I should tell them. Of course I want everything to go as smooth as possible, but I also think about the whats ifs...I meet with my surgeon on Thursday I am going to talk with him and see what he suggests. I think after that I should have an idea, as well as what I will tell work. Kepp up the good work :)
Want2beabettermom
on 3/20/12 2:56 am

Hi, I am new here too!  I met with my surgeon a few weeks ago, and asked him for what he recommended for time off for me.  He took into consideration, the type of job I do, how much I lift, how old and healthy I am.

Ask your surgeon what he expects for YOU! 

As far as telling work, I chose not to tell them what kind of surgery I was having.  Only because they recently had a bad experience with somebody that was not following their plan, and was therefore, sick all the time.

It is really a personal choice, but legally, you don't have to tell them what kind of surgery you are having.  I would give them as much of a warning as possible, though.  I have already told my employers that I would be out for surgery, and an approximate time that it would happen.  I do not have my date yet, or for that matter my insurance approval (that is where I am in the process, waiting for ins.)

Good luck to you!

happy_baker
on 3/20/12 3:08 am
RNY on 02/15/12
 Hey Kathleen, how ya doing? Nice to meet you.

It's a lot to process, that's for sure. I work from home, so I don't have much advice on asking for time off. It's not a good idea, generally, to lie to your employer, so you might just ask for a private meeting with whoever handles scheduling and confide in them why you need time off. And be sure to ask for confidentiality if you want it.  Then you can tell everyone else whatever you want. Having your gallbladder out is usually a common excuse. When people I didn't want to tell about my surgery asked why I was laying low for a while, I told them I had a hole in my diaphragm patched. It was true, I had a small hiatal hernia repaired, so it's not a lie. 

As for losing the weight pre-op, my surgeon didn't put me on any special diet. He just recommended laying off the simple carbs and sticking to 1400 calories max. I ended up eating about 800 calories, and lost 11 pounds in the 2 weeks before surgery. I just didn't want to do anything that could possibly jeopardize my chances, and it wasn't difficult. I've done harder things, and a person can handle ANYTHING for two weeks, right?

Everyone's recovery differs. But I was home in 48 hours, active within 4 days, and back in the pool doing water aerobics in two weeks. It was smoooooth sailing. But others have had different results, so it's probably best to allow extra time, just in case. 

Welcome to the boards! :D

_._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. 
Check out my video blog!  www.youtube.com/user/HappilyShrinking/videos
Highest weight: 269.  Surgery weight: 233.  Goal weight: 144, and then we'll see..