how long do it take for pain to go away

Kristina679
on 3/22/12 9:08 pm - Somerville, MA
RNY on 03/20/12
I had my sugery on the 20 and i am still in a lot of pain  

Vivian Prouty
on 3/22/12 9:16 pm - Fort Worth, TX
 I am going on 7 yrs. post op but it seems like it takes a couple of weeks for the pain/ soreness to go away.    Congrats on your RNY.    Hang in there...things will be much better for you really soon.   Just listen to your body and get LOTS of rest.    

Hugs and blessings ~~~ Vivian

GOD GRANT ME THE SERENITY TO ACCEPT THE THINGS I CAN NOT CHANGE;   COURAGE TO CHANGE THE THINGS THAT I CAN;  AND THE WISDOM TO KNOW THE DIFFERENCE !!!!    THIS IS MY DAILY PRAYER.
Vivian Prouty      Obesity Help Support Group Coach  "LOSE IT 4 LIFE"

dragonlady004
on 3/22/12 9:36 pm - MS
RNY on 02/23/12
 I am 4 weeks post op and yesterday my doctor told me a nerve was inflamed so he gave me shots in it.. but guess what STILL BURNING..but at least most of the pain did stop. He told me it could be up to 6 months before this stops..
HW: 465.5 SW: 290 CW: 270         
yahpraiser
on 3/22/12 9:50 pm - danville, AL
I am a little over 5 weeks out. My surgeon told me early on that a nerve was stiched and that it could take up to 2 months when the stitches dissolved for it to be completely better. It was just in this last week that I no longer feel pain so I am thankful it didnt take the whole 2 months.
Sarah R.
on 3/22/12 10:50 pm
It took me 2 full weeks before the pain let up and by the end of the third week other than some remaining swelling the pain was mostly gone. Its different for everyone though.

JenK130
on 3/22/12 10:53 pm
RNY on 01/30/12
I was 1/30 and it was 2 weeks.  At the two week mark I started turning the corner and feeling better.
txtumbleweed
on 3/22/12 11:18 pm - TX
It's gets better every day.  It will all be worth it.  I agree that the 2 week mark is a real turning point.  Just focus on the day and do the best you can do!  Remember, every day will be better.

Gail Wilson
RNY 12/27/11

rbb825
on 3/22/12 11:31 pm - Suffern, NY
congrats on your surgery.  You are very early out - things are still healing.  It is going to hurt for a while - they did alot of cutting and stapling, plain ole, rearranging your insides.  But even if you had it done laproscopically, they did a lot of cutting inside that needs to heal. It is major surgery and it takes time to heal.  You aren't even 3 days out, give it time.  You need to do alot of walking - this will relieve any gas pains you are having and also relieve some other pains ands and speed healing.  YOU aren't expected to walk long distance - my surgeon said 10 minutes at a time - 5 or 6 times per day at first and then increase as you can.  It helps and take the pain meds - they help and that is what htey are for.  I was still in the hospital on the pain pump at your stage

Michelle M.
on 3/23/12 12:06 am
RNY on 03/19/12
I had surgery on 3/19, and I have to say, the pain has been worse than I could have imagined. I think that I was so focused on the actual surgery and on all the lifestyle and dietary changes post surgery, that the physical recovery of the operation got overlooked. From the moment I woke up in the recovery room I have been in pain. I have had other surgeries before, c sections, gallbladder removal, and others. I have always recovered well, no complications, no extreme pain, and I expected the same this time. I hope this gets better soon!
Nycm
on 3/23/12 12:54 am
RNY on 02/21/12 with
At four weeks out I can say that the GI issuers (gas and loose BM's) are more a part of my day than pain. By 3 weeks post op I was able to go to work, but had pain when bending, had to hold my left side when sneezing, coughing and laughing. Now I feel very little pain and can even sleep on my tummy and sides.

It will get better but it will take time.

Christine

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 455 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 414 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 354 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 437 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?