CT Scan finds a mass

Cassandra Cooper
on 4/19/12 8:49 am - Hermiston, OR
For the last 5 months I have had reocurring UTI infections and blood in my urine. After my last UTI treatment we did another urine sample to make sure the infection was totally gone and I still showed blood in my urine, but no infection. I was referred to a uroligist, but before that I started having more pain in my back & left side and eventually ended up in the ER.

I ended up having a CT scan and they found kidney stones in both kidneys, but more concerning they found a 8cm mass near my ovary. I had a partial hysterectomy over 10 years ago. I have follow up appts this next week to determine more, but until then I am trying not to be too freaked out! I had the Dr. office also send my CT scan off to my WL surgeon. Could they be related. My WL surgery was about 1 1/2 yrs ago. If I had the mass then, would they have seen it?
enJOY
Cassandra

http://www.cassandracooper.com/wp/ {my blog}

HW 276/ SW 250/ CW 146/ GW 155

CarolBeth
on 4/19/12 9:11 am - SoCal, CA
First, it doesn't sound to me like this is WL related, but I'm not a doctor.  If the mass is by your ovary, it may not have been detected, since that's in a different location...or it just may not have been there then.  I think that's a question for your doctors.

I'm so sorry you have to go through this!  Two years ago, I had a huge mass that turned out to be a cancerous ovarian cyst.  I waited until I looked like I was 8 months pregnant and in severe pain before dealing with it.  The thing weighed 15 lbs.  Luckly, it was only stage 1 ovarian cancer, and I am still cancer free.

Sorry to go on about me, but I guess I'm trying to convey that a mass found early can be absolutely nothing or at least very treatable.  My mass wasn't addressed early at all, and luckily I am fine.  Try not to worry until you know more.  (I know, easy for me to say).  I do know what you are going through, and at least they are working to figure out what it is. 

Hang in there.  Hugs, prayers, and best wishes to you!

Carol
Carol - RNY July 11, 2011

THE_life10
on 4/19/12 9:57 am
RNY on 03/26/12

Praying for you

Height: 5'9 Hw: 285 Sw: 272  Cw: 167 Surg. goal: 165

1m: -20 2m: :-18 3m:-10

4m:-12 5m:8 6m:-4 7m:-3 8m-10:-28

Eliza55
on 4/19/12 10:00 am - PA
Best wishes for a good outcome for all this.  I know it is very tough.
Eliza
Consult:239   SW:217  1mo:195  2mo:182  3mo:169   6mo:139  9mo GOAL CW: +2 from underweight

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 4/19/12 10:27 am - OH
I cannot imagine how the presence of a mass could be related to your RNY.  Eight years ago, I had a mass that they thought was actually on my bladder based on the CT (even though I insisted that I was having no bladder symptoms), but when they did a laparoscopy, the bladder was fine and the mass was just up against it.  For some inexplicable reason, the urologist LEFT the mass in me even though he had me on the table and open (!), and then when it started causing more severe pain 3 weeks later, it was much bigger than before and had enveloped the ovary and was attached to the intestine, so the general surgeon had to do an open 4-in*****ision to clean it all up.  So now, since I had already had a partial hysterectomy, I only have one ovary left.  The surgeon told me that very often, as was the case with mine, these masses are just tissue and fluid and are almost always completely benign.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Cassandra Cooper
on 4/19/12 11:20 am - Hermiston, OR
Thanks for the well wishes and personal stories. I am hoping it is just a benign cyst. My Mom had kidney cancer 5 years ago and it was stage 2. I am trying not to think about that awful "C" word. I know so many of us deal with it either with family or ourselves, but it is hard not to go there.
I also have a trip to Paris booked with my 18 year old daughter in June, so I am nervous that I may have to face a surgery and be recovering. I had 2 surgeries last year with the WL surgery and a ruptured disc. :( Not ready to face another! 

Lora...I can't believe they left it in. That is crazy! 
enJOY
Cassandra

http://www.cassandracooper.com/wp/ {my blog}

HW 276/ SW 250/ CW 146/ GW 155

rbb825
on 4/20/12 4:10 pm - Suffern, NY
I am sorry you are going through this.  I understand the constant UTI's with the blood in the urine and then follow ups with only blood and usually protein.  I went through this last spring and fall leading to 3 kidney stone surgeries.  I will tell you that the kidney stones are relate to the RNY but a large mass on the ovaries, has nothing to do with your RNY - you need to see your GYN -- ASAP - call on Monday and get an appointment immediately.  Hopefully it is nothing but unforatunately when you get masses after menopause, they are usally something. - 8 cm is very large - I have had them but usually only 1 or 2 cm.
i
for the kidney stones - you should follow up with both the uriologist to see if they need to be blasted (only if they are obstructing) and a nephrologist to see how to prevent them - they usually do urine testing to see what is causing the stones.  My doctor uses a company called litholink - you can check out there website - tons of info on kidney stones.

good luck and let me know how your appointment goes when you see your GYN

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 438 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 393 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 327 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 430 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?