taking arthrotec ec 75 is it ok

ibbobrob
on 4/19/12 2:13 pm - canyon country, CA
HELLO ALL I NEED SOME HELP MY PAIn MANAGEMENT doc prescribed me a nsaid call arthrotec he said it was safe to take well i took one and it made me blowded i told him i had g bypass 16 monthes ago he dont understand does any one know if this medication is safe for me

thank you
Robert

Ladytazz
on 4/19/12 3:33 pm
Yeah, it's a NSAID and you shouldn't take it.  I doubt just once will make a difference.  There are some doctors that think it's ok to take NSAIDs if you take something like Prilosec with it.  That would be a gamble I think.  I would talk to your surgeon about it and see what he recommends.  In the mean time you need to make sure your pain doctor knows that NSAIDs are off limits.  I have in my chart that I am allergic to them.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

rbb825
on 4/19/12 4:28 pm - Suffern, NY
please do yourself a favor and dont take another one - arthrotec like all other NSAIDS cause ulcers and arthrotec from what I remember is pretty strong.   I get so mad when I hear that doctors tell us it is safe to take them - what right do they have after we tell them flat out, we cant take NSAIDS but they still try to give them to us.   I have read so many stories recently about ulcers and they are not easy to get rid of and in some cases, can be very serious. I was talking to someone early tonight and she had to have her RNY revsised due to ulcers - it isnt worth it.

NSAIDS can cause anyone ulcers - I had 3 or 4 of them preop and then we are even higher risk post op.  I just tell my doctors and list in my history so when I go into the hospital that I am allergic to NSAIDS>.

avivaps
on 4/19/12 8:31 pm
RNY on 02/28/12
 Arthrotec is an NSAID combined with a stomach protector. While that REDUCES the risk of ulcers it does NOT eliminate it. I agree with others to list NSAIDs as an allergy and talk with yr SURGEON about safe alternatives. 

Andrea. 

RNY February 2012

starting BMI 40

CathyD1968
on 4/19/12 8:48 pm - OH
RNY on 04/30/12 with
 I am a pre-op, this may be a stupid question. BUT, what is a NSAID? Sorry, I just want to know what I shouldn't have after surgery! I don't want any complications. Thanks!
    [url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wVe5uXv/] [img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wVe5uXv/blk-weight.png[/img] [/url]        
poet_kelly
on 4/20/12 1:09 am - OH
NSAIDS are non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs.  Like ibuprofen, advil, motrin, aleve, etc.

I'm concerned that you are scheduled for surgery in a few days and your surgeon never explained this to you.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

CathyD1968
on 4/21/12 12:42 am - OH
RNY on 04/30/12 with
 No I was never told of this. I will be making a phone call on Monday morning! Thanks!
    [url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wVe5uXv/] [img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wVe5uXv/blk-weight.png[/img] [/url]        
poet_kelly
on 4/20/12 1:07 am - OH
NSAIDS are not safe for gastric bypass patients.  Does he understand why not?  Did he explain why he thought this particular NSAID would be safe?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 440 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 395 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 333 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 432 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 333 views