Getting frustrated with the process

longhornrose
on 4/23/12 5:38 am - South Texas
RNY on 09/13/12
Except for my pap smear (which is scheduled for Friday), I completed everything on my surgeon's list of requirements as of 4/6.  Since that time, I've been waiting (somewhat) patiently for the results of all the testing to get to him.  I called his bariatric coordinator last Monday to check on the status, and she said she hadn't received anything yet, but would get with his office on Thursday.

Friday, I called to see if she'd heard anything; had to leave a message, as she wasn't in. 

Today, 2:00 p.m., I hadn't received a return call, so I called her again.  She was away from her desk but said she didn't think she'd received anything; said she'd check and call me back.  I'm waiting. . . 

Okay, here's the deal.  My surgeon was located in San Antonio, but is in the process of relocating his practice here.  His bariatric coordinator is with another medical group in San Antonio; I suspect he's got some kind of contract with a group or facility that does bariatric stuff for a lot of solo practitioners, but don't know that for sure.  He's set up his office here, but I don't think he has fulltime staff here, that he's also got some reciprocal agreement with another doc's office here.  Like I said, he's in transition.  For the most part, that's fine by me.  When I've called his local office, I always get someone, so that's reassuring. 

Bottom line, though, is that I'm not sure if the right hand knows what the left hand is doing, KWIM?  I'm staying on top of this, and trying to be understanding, but it's frustrating, and I really would like to keep the process flowing so I can:  1) know if I'm going to get approved for surgery, and 2) actually get the dang thing scheduled sooner rather than later!

I'd appreciate hearing from anyone who's dealt with any similar situations, and/or your opinion of what's going on.  Keep in mind I live in a small city (350,000 pop., give or take), and so my options for surgeons are kind of limited by availability and by insurance.  Plus, I'm completely confident that my surgeon has the skills and experience to do a good job for me, and there really isn't anyone else I'd even consider for this.

Sorry for being long-winded.  Just needed to vent a little.  

Beth    

Consult WT: 312   SW274   CW: 244

funkyphillygirl
on 4/23/12 5:51 am
I can completely understand and would encourage you to keep doing what you are doing.  I live in a large city and was dealing with a wonderful practice in a large medical center, but didn't receive official clearance until about 5 days before my surgery date, even though I had everything in and done WELL before that.  Sometimes it's the practice, and sometimes it's the insurance company - and any number of other delays from missing tests, etc.  Just obtain and keep copies of everything so that you have a complete file.  That was enormously helpful to take to all appointments and to have for all conversations and emails. 

Speaking of that, can you do any email correspondence with the practice or the surgeon?  It often helps to have a record of that and to have the ability to copy multiple people.  That might help to inform both "hands" what is going on.  It shouldn't be hard to find email addresses and may help the distance problem.

Good luck!  Keep the faith!
longhornrose
on 4/23/12 6:05 am - South Texas
RNY on 09/13/12
Thanks for the support!  And you know what?  I love the e-mail suggestion.  I hadn't really considered that.  I have an e-mail address for both the coordinator and my surgeon.  In fact, when I saw him initially, he welcomed any questions I had.  I am holding off e-mailing him until I decide I've given his staff as much leeway as I can.  And I've already spoken with insurance; I have my own bariatric person, and was told to call anytime with any questions or concerns.  (I was shocked at this, actually.)  However, I won't bug them until I know my paper work has been forwarded.  Since they will ultimately be the ones to approve my surgery, I really don't want to p*** them off, LOL!

I'm a pretty patient and understanding person, but what really trips my trigger is when people say they'll call back, but never do.  I worked in offices for many years, and I ALWAYS returned calls, and never could tolerate people who wouldn't do the same. 

Thanks again for your suggestions.

Beth

Consult WT: 312   SW274   CW: 244

funkyphillygirl
on 4/23/12 11:39 pm
I will also add that your goal is not to **** them off, but rather to be proactive on your own behalf.  And, since your style is already so kind and understanding, that's exactly how you'll come across! 

Do try the email thing when you are ready.  I think it helps so much because people are sometimes more inclined to respond to email than they are to make phone calls.  We all know the whole phone tag thing - it can be so frustrating.  But, email takes care of some of that trading messages thing.  I know it's not always the best way to communicate, but I think it might be appropriate here.

In my case, there was one document missing that I had in my file.  Once we figured that out, I was able to scan and email it right away.  Then, for some reason, my insurance company just started dragging their feet, which was unusual since they had been calling me like crazy to see if I knew what I was doing.  It was down to hours before the surgical coordinator was going to remove me from the schedule and - BAM - the approval came through. 

I'd agree with the other poster - keep working on the things that you can work on - like your diet, your attitude, your exercise plan - and stay on top of these folks while remaining upbeat and positive.  It will all come together!  :-)
BWB
on 4/23/12 6:20 am
 Yes I did, however it doesn't pay to get anxious over it.  Just go with the flow, follow your low carb diet, and exerccise in the meantime and you will be up to speed when you finally have your surgery.  Those are things you will be doing anyway.

JaneJetson
on 4/23/12 6:27 am
RNY on 05/07/12
 Question: Have you contacted your PCP who ran all these tests in the first place to make sure they have sent everything in? Call them and find out what all has been done on their end.  
roseofsharonkb
on 4/23/12 8:03 am - VA
RNY on 05/23/12 with
I know how you feel, I'm still waiting too... Just gotta hang in there and be proactive!

"My opinions are my own, and don't necessarily reflect a sound mind or good judgment!"