New product but..Can we digest pea and rice protein same as whey?

Darcy S.
on 4/26/12 11:24 pm - Clinton, CT
I started selling Arbonne because my face was falling after weight loss. It has helped my neck and my face so much that I became a rep. They released a new product and Im wondering if we can digest this type of protein like we do whey protein. Here's what they say:

Arbonne Essentials® Nutrition Bars
A healthy balance of protein, fiber, vitamins and minerals, our supplement bar satisfies hunger and helps boost energy.◊ Packed with 15 vitamins and minerals, it fills the gaps in your diet. Made with nutrient-rich quinoa and 9 grams of pea and rice protein, more digestible than soy or whey, the bar satisfies hunger faster and supports metabolism.◊ Simple, nutritious, and all wrapped up in a chocolate or fruit flavored bar.
Key Ingredients: Arbonne Protein Blend, fiber, vitamins, minerals, quinoa
Recommended for: balanced nutrition, boosting energy◊, supporting muscles.◊
10 bars, Chocolate or Fruit, $24 each

I would like to introduce these bars to my Gastro friends but what your opinion first.

Decision made weight 265  SW 249 CW 153  9/4/12 next goal 145lbs  OMG                                

poet_kelly
on 4/26/12 11:27 pm - OH
The issue isn't digestion, it's absorption.  Peas and rice are incomplete proteins, they don't have all the essential amino acids.  However, combined as they are in this product, they may provide a complete protein, I don't know.  Can you ask the company about the PDCAAS score for their protein blend?  Whey isolate gets a score of 100 on a scale of 1 to 100, which is the best score available.  If it has a comparable score, then it's a good choice for us.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 4/26/12 11:44 pm - OH
I knew I had read something about rice protein a while back, and although I did not quickly find what I had originally read, I did find this link which had similar, buti less detailed, info (see especially the info toward the bottom about the peas providing the amino acid missing from the rice).

bodybuilding.ultimatefatburner.com/rice-protein.html

Since this does not say specifically what the PDCAAS score is for these blends, though, I would second Kelly's suggestion to conbtact the mjanufacturer and ask.  The score of rice alone is only .5 (half the bioavailability of whey protein, so not a good choice), so it would be important to know how MUCH blending with the pea increases the score (it might increase it to close to 1 or it might only increase it to .75 or something).

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Darcy S.
on 4/27/12 9:25 pm - Clinton, CT
Thank you so much I'll email the company today.

Decision made weight 265  SW 249 CW 153  9/4/12 next goal 145lbs  OMG