Upcoming Surgery :: What to pack in the Hospital Bag?

Texan-In-Seattle
on 4/27/12 12:26 pm
RNY on 05/07/12
I have bypass surgery scheduled for 05/07 and was trying to determine what items people think would be good to take with them to the hospital. I searched and read through some of the posts.

I have heard about chapstick, slippers, and of course DVDs to watch. But what are some of the other items to pack in my "hospital bag"?

pen/notepad
bert's chapstick
zune to listen while walking / charger
mouthwash, toothbrush, toothpaste
deodorant
CPAP
baby wipes
slipper socks
pillow
laptop
sweatpants/shorts for ride home
earplugs

Am I missing anything crucial?

ShebasMom
on 4/27/12 12:51 pm
Revision on 07/05/16
lip balm...your lips are going to be dry while you're NPO.

HW322 SW296 GW150 LW196 

RNY 8-29-11

Revision to Distal bypass 7-5-16

SW262 GW165 

John 3:16

lorastevens
on 4/27/12 12:59 pm - Byron, IL
RNY on 04/04/12
My experience is that you don't need much. You will feel like hell, so less is more. I didn't take anything (they have tv etc) and i have not strengh to even hold my ipad. However, I did appreciate having clean clothes (I was in for 3 days and got to shower on day 2) and i had flip flops (easy on and easy off). However chapstick was most important thing to me. Good luck!

taylorwayzz
on 4/27/12 1:07 pm - MI
You pretty much have everything u need on ur list, i slept most of the time, chapstick was my best friend!! Good luck to you!!!!
 Lynnette                 
Shelly S.
on 4/27/12 1:31 pm - Mason, MI
Ok, take as little as possible. You will be out of it most of the time and feeling crappy the rest of the time. I threw everything in a reusable grocery store bag. Even when my hubby brought the netbook I was too weak and tired to care or use it . . .I took: cpap, lip balm, several pair of clean underwear, and a tiny lotion that smelled nice and that is all.

You have to wear a hospital gown while you are there. So the clothes you wore there can be the clothes you wear home. They will give you everything else you need: soap, socks, toothbrush and all that. Plus a hospital is a germ pool so I would not even use a bag for which I cared.

Good luck to you!
Shelly Smith    
HW 326 SW 293 CW 180 GW 160        
sarahmathis1681
on 4/27/12 1:39 pm
RNY on 02/13/12
 they let me put on my own gown to make me more comfortable but i was either sleeping or walking i watched a little tv in the room but not much i wore my gown,housecoat and slippers home i was very sore so it was easy to put on other than that i didnt use anything make sure you take pads if u are still able to have a period cause i started in the hospital which sucked!!

http://www.weight-loss-center.net

THE_life10
on 4/27/12 1:54 pm
RNY on 03/26/12

I packed a lot...even a Snuggie and pajamas.

The ONLY thing i used was : 

1) my own soap..I dont trust other people soap.
2) my own rag..
3) my own cloth/towel
4) chap stick!!
5) my phone and charger

Other than that I was too tired from pain meds or too busy walking to do anything else.

Height: 5'9 Hw: 285 Sw: 272  Cw: 167 Surg. goal: 165

1m: -20 2m: :-18 3m:-10

4m:-12 5m:8 6m:-4 7m:-3 8m-10:-28

Adrianne_Dawn
on 4/27/12 4:03 pm - WA
RNY on 05/21/12
 Ohhh I see you have Dr. Chebli! That's my doctor as well! 

My surgery is scheduled for May 21st - Good question I haven't even thought of this yet. I've been googling Protein shakes so much..hahahaha 

I think I'll snag my Robe cause not a huge fan of walking around in the thin nightgown hahaha. Although I work in a hospital and people do it all the time. hahaha 

Yay congrats btw! 

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 4/27/12 10:07 pm - OH
Just put a second hospital gown on backwards as a robe...

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Iroh
on 4/27/12 4:08 pm, edited 4/27/12 4:09 pm
RNY on 04/23/12
After perusing topics here, I decided to take only chapstick and my phone to the hospital. The day of surgery I spent the majority of my time sleeping, sitting in a chair, and sleeping more. I used the phone briefly to check in with friends and family but didn't have the gumption to even use the internet.

On the second day I used my phone more frequently, but was discharged early in the afternoon after spending so much time walking that the IV pump battery died and refused to turn back on. There wasn't anything I regretted not having with me. I would suggest keeping it simple! The chapstick was a life-saver though, I didn't think my mouth would ever be moist again on day one!

Most Active
Recent Topics