I walk 2.5 miles a day but...........

Skoonie
on 4/28/12 10:46 pm - Van Wert, OH
RNY on 01/31/12 with
I have a lot of belly fat that seems to be where most of my fat is and walking isn't shrinking it fast enough for me, does anyone have any suggestions for what I can do to work on it more. I am going to visit my family in June they haven't seen me since 5days post op and boy do I want to look as good as  possible when I get there. I really can't afford the gym right now so I am looking for exercises or suggested videos that I can do at home. Thanks for all your input in advance

richarddavis196
on 4/28/12 11:21 pm, edited 4/28/12 11:22 pm - VA
You can try targeting the certain muscle groups in question via situps, increasing the distance or speed of your walks, crunches as your excersize plan allows. I have had limited success targeting my stomach. It seems the weight (fat) comes off from whereever it wants too and then seems to shift around my body at it's whim. Now that is just me.

Your family will be amazed by your weight loss and the health you have regained, so don't over focus on that. Stay on your plan and you will be doing great.

If you find something that really works, share it here.

Good luck!

takqia1
on 4/28/12 11:27 pm
STUPID BELLY FAT WE CURSE YOU!!!!!!

I have tried several things too I'm thinking just a big ole pair of scissors right now.
Someone told me it will be the last place I lose and expect my skin to be gross...Not exactly what I wanted to hear...lmao!

I imagine your family will be thrilled for you no matter what.
    Nothing tastes as good as skinny will feel.         
Tim T.
on 4/28/12 11:52 pm - Eastham, MA
Try this simple excercise to tighten up your core and abdominal muscles- it will not eliminate fat,calories in/out will, but will tighten up that area and may improve how you're holding it up. It's called a plank- get into position like you're going to do a push up, arms and back straight and on your toes- if you can't do that position try on your knees at first. Then tighten your ab muscles and remain in that position for as long as you can stand. Repeat a couple of times if possible. This excercise is equivalent to crunches or sit ups and does not require a gym membership or equipment. I do this in between weight training excercises and it works! Good luck!

Tim T.

Skoonie
on 4/29/12 2:52 am - Van Wert, OH
RNY on 01/31/12 with
Thanks crunches is what I've wanted to try but I have no luck with them my neck just ends up hurting lol I am going to get right on these

Eliza55
on 4/29/12 12:32 am - PA
Tim had a really good suggestion with the plank exercise.  It is one of several strength training exercises that will really help your overall shape as you lose weight.  I do strength training 3x per week, and it has really made a very big difference in my arms and belly.

You should also be prepared for the excess skin issue.  As we lose weight, there is a lot of excess skin that won't go away.  The belly "muffin top" is one area that is common.  How much it shrinks will depend on your age, skin elasticity, and other factors.
Eliza
Consult:239   SW:217  1mo:195  2mo:182  3mo:169   6mo:139  9mo GOAL CW: +2 from underweight

(deactivated member)
on 4/29/12 1:06 am - waukesha, WI
I am almost at a normal BMI.  The belly fat has been the last to go.  Trainer stated cardio......lots of it.  The Plank is a good ideal as well.   Nutritionist suggested MCT oil supplement so I am trying that.  Plank is an excellent idea for over all toning,..............
LJ1972
on 4/29/12 1:14 am - FL

Actually there is no way to target fat loss in a specific area. You can do exercises to tone / build strength and endurance, but our finicky body gets to decide where to take the fat from.

from exercisepress.com
myth 3. Ab exercises melt away abdominal fat
Spot reducing has been disproved over and over again, but some athletes still believe that it works. “You can’t get rid of the fat over a muscle by repeatedly exercising that bodypart," says Douglas Brooks, MS, an exercise physiologist based in northern California. “Study after study has refuted that. Any physiology textbook will tell you that. Spot reducing is a dead dog."
Think of it: If you chew gum, you don’t get skinny cheeks. You can do crunches with the best possible form, but it won’t whittle your waistline or belly by itself. You may develop abs of steel, but they’ll still be covered by body fat if you don’****ch your diet and do cardiovascular activity to reduce the fat layer.

“Doing ab exercises to reduce the waistline is a fool’s errand. Reducing the waistline has to do with reducing body fat," explains Bryant Stamford, PhD, director of the Health Promotion and Wellness Center, professor of exercise physiology at the University of Louisville in Kentucky and an editorial board member of The Physician and Sportsmedicine.

Burning abdominal fat is the same as burning fat anywhere on your body: You have to do aerobic exercise and, of course, not eat so many calories that you put the fat back on again. “Your diet and large-muscle activity will accomplish much more than 1,000 sit-ups a day," Stamford says.

COURAGE TO START, STRENGTH TO ENDURE, RESOLVE TO FINISH 
                              HW 353 SW 317 Original GW 180  Current Wt  170 
                               First 5k 59:18; 5k PR 32:06;  1st 10k 1:20:27; PR 1:08:36
                                                    1st Half Marathon 2:48

Pensacola Double Bridge Run 15k- 1:47:34
                                                  Three Sprint Triathlons

NevillesMom
on 4/29/12 3:25 am - MA
I feel you pain, Skoonie!  I am 6 months post op and my belly is still what I am stuggling with.  At fist I lost in the chest/neck aea, then ams and back and finally I am losing in my belly.  I have been woking out running, lifting and going to classes like body pum and zumba since I was cleared by my sugeon to do so ( 3-5x week) It was really frustating at first but I have leaned to celebrate my sucesses and be patient with the fact that I cannot choose where the weght comes off.

I suggest switching up your routine a bit.  Add some intervals to your walking- start small- walk as fast as you can for 30 seconds, then walk at your usual pace for a minute, repeat and  increase as it gets easier.  Planks are great also see what the on demand section of you cable has.  They usually have lots of choices. 

I am sure you ae looking fabulous and that you will be getting lots of compliments when you see your family in June.  Be patient.....it will  happen!!
unewillow
on 4/29/12 4:45 am - CT
Pilates! It is the only thing I have found that I like, doesnt make me feel like I am going to die at the end of 30 minutes, and is working to tone the muscle under the skin and flab.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 459 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 416 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 356 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 437 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 356 views