Is pizza that bad for us!?

Darcy S.
on 5/11/12 9:40 pm - Clinton, CT
Last night I took my kids and neighbor out for pizza. I ordered a small eggplant, tomatoe and mozzarella pizza for the moms and a regular one for the kids. I ate a little salad and a slice and a half of pizza. Now these were by no means big slices. But is that bad? It was thin crust too. Lol am I justifying what I ate? Is pizza out for rnyers?

Thanks for your input. I'm not trying to be dumb but it just didn't seem that bad. Ps. I get sick on fatty foods but this was yummy and I didn't feel bad physically at all.

Decision made weight 265  SW 249 CW 153  9/4/12 next goal 145lbs  OMG                                

Michelle V.
on 5/11/12 9:47 pm - Livonia, MI
I'm about 5 months out & I have had pizza since my RNY. I think as long as you have it only every couple months instead of every day you should be fine.

Personally, I only eat the toppings, I do not eat the breading. Bread is a big trigger for me - I have the insane urge to eat and eat and eat when I eat bread.

Cleopatra_Nik
on 5/11/12 9:48 pm - Baltimore, MD
You can eat anything you want. If this isn't an everyday thing for you, I think it's fine. The goal of this surgery is to teach a healthy approach to food. A healthy approa*****ludes MODERATION.

I will say though my first year when I did things like pizza I always knew I was going to do it at the outset of the day (cuz I am neurotic like that) so I made sure to get enough protein in my other meals so that I was good to go.

But moderation...it's something you gotta learn. Many of us learn by PRACTICING!
dasie
on 5/11/12 9:52 pm
I think it all depends upon you.  Some people can eat all things in moderation and have self-discipline.  If that is you...I see no problem with it.  I have to watch my carb intake or it increases  my appetite.  I've found eating those things are not worth fighting the cravings days later.  I TRY to stay away from that stuff but don't always succeed.

BellaSaid35
on 5/11/12 9:59 pm
 I eat pizza as well- thin crust and one piece. :) Its yummy. 

Rny 2.14.12

Darcy S.
on 5/11/12 10:06 pm - Clinton, CT
Thanks so much. It was so good and I definitely know I can't do the bread thing often cause yes it will make me crazy as I love it so much. I do see that I'm not getting as full as I used too. The signal to stop or the feeling that I'm done doesn't seem to be as loud anymore. So I am trying to watch my portions. Is that typical as we get further from our surgery. Not to get the full and gotta stop signals.

Decision made weight 265  SW 249 CW 153  9/4/12 next goal 145lbs  OMG                                

BellaSaid35
on 5/11/12 10:16 pm
 I think so. I am 3 months out and have found I am "over eating" lately. I have taken a look at my diet, and I know right when it started- when I began to have pretzels as a snack. I didn't realize it was a trigger food, but it is. So that stops today. 

We all struggle with these things. But I say pizza is fine- a small slice once in a while is good.

Rny 2.14.12

iisme
on 5/11/12 10:21 pm
The first time I had pizza post-op was at about 5 months. I could only eat about 1/4 of a slice and it did not set very well.
I have it maybe 4 times per year now, and usually when I am out and everyone else is eating it. Difference is, before surgery I probably would ate half the damn and now I don't even eat a full slice. Usually a few bites of something and I'm "over it"  As Nik said, we can have anything we want, just in moderation.

10 pounds loss pre-op
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 5/11/12 10:49 pm - OH
I personally don't have any forbidden foods (except the ones that make me sick) and believe that anything, if eaten only occasionally and in moderate amounts, can be part of our diets.  I am a little surprised that you were able to eat a slice and a half, but I don't know the size of the slices obviously.

I would encourage you to consider two things, though.  First, that the cheese was the only protein in that meal (which is pretty minimal) and that there are a lot of empty carbs in the crust. (1/6 of an average medium thin crust pizza has about 30g of carbs.)  I would encourage you to consider what I do: eat a bite or two "as is" and then use a knife and fork to just eat the toppings off of the rest.  This will keep the carbs down and will leave more room for the yummy toppings (which will increase the protein a bit... And trading carbs for protein is always a good thing).

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

BellaSaid35
on 5/11/12 11:37 pm
Great advice.

Rny 2.14.12