My precious Khan needs to be put to sleep, and he isn't even 2 yet

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 5/15/12 7:45 am, edited 5/16/12 9:40 pm - OH
He has severe hip dysplasia. We knew by the time he was just 6 months old that something was wrong. When he was a year old I had the vet do x-rays (she had to put him under to do it because he refuse to lay (lie?) on his back). I had hoped that we would be able to make him reasonably comfortable with anti-inflammatories and pain meds, but he is at the highest dose of Tramadol that is safe for him, and taking as much Rimadyl as his digestive system will allow (he is sensitive to NSAIDS... They give him diarrhea, which is a really bad thing for a Chow with all that hair...), and still in pain. He rarely stands for long, never sits, has trouble going up even 5 steps, will no longer lay on his side to be brushed for more than 15 minutes at a time, and this weekend i noticed that his front legs shake when he squats to poop. On his bad days, which are more frequent now than ever, he picks fights with my Scottie (who will not back down from a fight, but is outweighed by 40 pounds and only gets a mouthful of hair when he tries to fight back). Last weekend I suffered a significant bite trying to break up a fight (Max bit me, not Khan.)

I hate to see him in pain, but it breaks my heart to have to put him to sleep. I was on a waiting list for 9 months to get him, and he is physically beautiful and much more affectionate than a typical Chow. (All of the dogs from this breeder have wonderful temperaments, though.) I have bonded to him more than most dogs I have had. The breeder guarantees her puppies, so I will be getting a replacement puppy for free, but I, of course, don't want a free puppy, I want Khan to be healthy. I even had a bunch of people praying for him to be healed. So much for that. I tried to make the appointment today, but couldn't do it. I am so sad and angry that I have to do this. And, of course, I want a cookie.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

WayCoolJr
on 5/15/12 7:53 am
RNY on 05/01/12
Aw, sorry to hear this. 

(deactivated member)
on 5/15/12 7:57 am - waukesha, WI

My thougths are with you, Lori! 

irishgirl89
on 5/15/12 7:58 am
That is so sad Laura and I feel for you. I don't know what to say. I would dread having to make such a decision. My thoughts are with you. Sharon.
  Surgery 11/16/11.  HW 267.5; SW 250.1; Pre-op wt. 195.5; CW 126  GW 140-160             
Poe2004
on 5/15/12 8:01 am - Ottawa, Canada
 My heart goes out to you.  Khan is so young for his hips to be that bad.  Chows are beautiful dogs.  I didn't realise they were a breed that is prone to hip problems.  My cousin had a chow, and his issue was a problem with his heart.

One of my ex's had a dog with hip displasia.   He was a beautiful blue eyed alaskan malamut/timber wolf cross. He had an amazing personality.  Weighed about 90 lbs, and thought he was a lap dog.  I remember watching his mobility deteriorate.  It was very hard to see him in pain all the time.  When it got to be too much for the dog, his owner has him put down.  I had gotten very attached, and cried like a baby when I found out (my EX had become my 'EX' a couple of years before).  I was so angry; not at my ex, but simply at the fact that our beautiful and otherwise healthy dog was gone because of his hips.  The dog was only 6, but the hip problems had become evident when he was about a year old. 

~Tammy

HW: 386 - RNY: 356.8 (14-Mar-2013) - CW: 238.6 (07-May-2014)  . . . GOAL: 199  

LJ1972
on 5/15/12 8:21 am - FL
oh I am so sorry.....
I know you have posted about Khan and how great he is and how much you love him. It is a horrible, heart breaking place to be.

poet_kelly
on 5/15/12 8:21 am - OH
Oh Lora, I am so sorry.  Of course you don't want a new puppy, you want Khan.

This is such a hard decision to make, isn't it?  You don't want him to suffer but you want him with you longer.  I'll be thinking of you.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Ladytazz
on 5/15/12 8:24 am
I am so sorry, Lora.  I just lost my JJ and even though I had him for 12 years it wasn't enough.  A thousand years wouldn't have been enough.  JJ had congestive heart failure and the morning he died I prayed that he would be healed and that his heart would be as healthy as it was loving but it was not meant to be.  I miss him so much but I am glad that he went in his sleep and he didn't suffer at all.  I wish you didn't have to make this decision but I know you will do what is best for your friend.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

Selenan101
on 5/15/12 8:28 am
RNY on 06/06/12
 I'm so sorry.  That is the hardest thing to have to do especially when bonded so tightly.   You are definitely in my thoughts
 Selenan 

Greg S.
on 5/15/12 8:30 am - Ypsilanti, MI
RNY on 05/08/12
 I am so sorry to here about that very difficult decision,  I have had to do 4 times and it kills a little bit of me each time,,, I am so so sorry about your loss and hope you feel better soon.  My thoughts and prayers are with you.
Most Active
Recent Topics