constipation.... i need help!!! This is awful!

I_must_be_crazy
on 5/16/12 10:03 pm
I am almost 6 weeks post op and ever since my surgery I have had the WORST time with constipation.  I have tried eating baby prunes,  benefiber, milk of magnesia.  I have to find something that works...  anyone have this problem and found a soultion?  
rachel05
on 5/16/12 10:17 pm - Leesburg, GA
If it were me I would do an enema.. There comes a point when things are just too backed up.. Next Miralax daily until you get ona  good schedule..Then you can cut it back to a few times a week. Constipation is common post op..Actually al sorts of bowels issues are common.Lets face it you just rerouted your entire system,it gets a little angry at you..lol
tiffreacarter
on 5/16/12 10:23 pm
RNY on 04/17/12 with
 I agree! I now buy enemas in bulk! I take stool softeners daily and also use been fiber daily. I also have suppositories and milk of magnesia on hand just in case. As gross as it may sound, enemas work really well!
MikesJulie
on 5/16/12 10:25 pm - MA
RNY on 02/07/12
i am 3 months post op and had aweful aweful constipation to the point where i wasnt going at all for 9 days.  I tried the miralax twice a day (per dr orders) and that was not helping.  I called the dr back and they told me to take stool softeners (two at night and if that didnt help to also take two in the morning) so that is what i did and it helped.  I dont mean to be graphic but my stool was very hard/dry and like lil rabbit size when they did come out.  Now after the stool softeners they are more normal.   You may want to give it a try..Believe me when i say i know the discomfort you are in.

Good Luck to you  i hope you get some relief soon

Julie
 (HW) 246 (Pre op weight loss) 9lbs (Surgery weight) 237  (1mo) 19lbs
rachel05
on 5/16/12 10:30 pm - Leesburg, GA
You have to ry different vitamins also..If you are getting cheapy vits at Walmart,although not really cheap, they have a lots of fillers.. They can wreak havoc on your body.Many many vits come in chewables or liquids,which may be better for you.. Try some help from a healthfood store or nautral vitamin place. Trust me I'm not this guru of nutrition,but this is true.
I_must_be_crazy
on 5/16/12 10:49 pm
Thank you all for your advice, I have been using enemas every weekend. I will try the stool softener and miralax... I keep telling myself it will get better... Thank you all so very much!!
grmadeb01
on 5/16/12 10:55 pm - FL
been there done that and DON'T want to do that again!!!!
i now get up in the morning and make a glass of milk with benefiber and miralaz in it...on an empty stomach, i take my vitamins with my milk and then about an hour or so later, i eat breakfast..in my vitamins i take a colace (stool softner) and then i sometimes take another one at night...
so far this has been working great for me....i go every morning like clock work, if i miss a day or 2, things get stopped up real quick....i ge the miralaz and stool softners from my base dr with a script..that makes it nice..
good luck
debby
H.A.L.A B.
on 5/16/12 11:39 pm
To have BM you need to get daily:
water
fat
fiber

If even one of these is not there - you will have horrible BM.
I also use magnesium daily as stool softeners. Every night before bed I take 800-1000 mg mag oxide. But it has to be taken daily. Taken it when you are constipated may not do the trick.  The consistency is the key.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

stlfocus
on 5/16/12 11:47 pm - IA
I take 3 Colace (actually the generic version) EVERY day, along with 2 Fiber tablets.  That has worked without fail.

Erik0409
on 5/17/12 12:06 am, edited 5/17/12 12:06 am - NJ
RNY on 03/15/12
I was in your shoes a few weeks ago.  It was painful because it was so hard and big it would not come out.

The formula tha worked for me was:
- 2 stool softeners every 1-2 hours
- milk of magnesia after you do 2-3 doses of stool softeners.

Then you should go.

Going forward the things that seem to work (daily):
-2 stool softeners 3 times a day
-fiber pills (if you don't have enough in your diet)
-probiotic
-1000 mg of magneisum oxide