RNY Revamp?

Whit
on 5/17/12 9:39 am
Revision on 12/10/12
Hi All,
I had a consultation with Dr. Jossart today about a RNY to DS revision. He does not recommend them. He thinks the DS as a first surgery can not be beat but the 30% complication average of  this as the revision surgery does not make it worth it for ME

I have a Hiatal (sp) Hernia, Marginal Ulcers, and a stretched out stoma. He thinks if he goes in and repairs all of these things as well as reduces the size of my pouch (which has always been bigger then most) I will loose 30-40 of the 60-70 pounds I need to loose. The remaining 20-30 could come off with proper diet and exercise. 

I know we are all different but I am wondering if anyone else out there has had this type of surgery and what their experience was.

Please note I am not making a statment about DS I wi**** were an option for me the first time around. 

Thanks
Whit

Revision from RNY to DS 12/10/12 Dr. Ara Kesishian BMI: 19

Created by MyFitnessPal - Nutrition Facts For Foods

poet_kelly
on 5/17/12 10:02 am - OH
Do you need surgery for the hernia and/or the ulcers?  If so, I guess I would say sure, make the pouch smaller while you're in there.  I do not think I would want to have major surgery just to lose 30 or 40 pounds, though.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

(deactivated member)
on 5/17/12 12:12 pm - WA
30-40, did the doc tell you that? I am looking at a RNY redo as well and I am not going to be happy with only 30-40 LBS.
Ladytazz
on 5/17/12 12:19 pm
The complication rate for a RNY to DS revision can be high, as are almost all revisions, but with a skilled surgeon I am sure it would be a lot less the 30%.  Dr. Keshishian I am sure has a much better success rate then that.  If you really want a DS revision you can find another surgeon.  I don't believe Dr. Jossart even does that kind of revision.  Dr. K has a reputation that can't be beat.
If you do decide to revise your RNY I am sure that can work out for you, too.  It may not sound like a lot of weight to lose but from what I have seen revisions seem to lose slower and less no matter what they have.  I was told I may not lose any weight with my revision and I went on to lose more then my excess weight.  We do have some control over the end result no matter which surgery we have as long as we address whatever issues led to our weight gain to begin with.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

Whit
on 5/17/12 12:23 pm
Revision on 12/10/12
Yes he said there are no guarentees and it could be 0. Dr. Jossart is very up front about the realities of RNY and what can be done after... Everybody s different.  but 30% risk of a leak scares me. 
I am going to get a second opinion and then decide what is best for me.

Best

Whit
on 5/17/12 12:26 pm
Revision on 12/10/12
Thank you LadyTazz I am gig to get a scond opinion and do what is best for me.
Whit

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 5/17/12 12:53 pm - OH
The complex nature of the revision and the high complication rate are the reasons that most surgeons do not do RNY to DS revisions (even if they do both procedures as initial surgeries).

I have a very genuine question that is not meant to be nasty, but might sound that way.  If you can get the "remaining 20-30" off with proper eating and exercise, why not all 60?  Any type of revision (even "just" making your pouch smaller) carries risks of complications, and anything you do to the pouch or stoma may cause you to have problems that you did not have the first time around with food/eating, so I would seriously consider whether or not it is absolutely necessary or just "easier"...

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Whit
on 5/18/12 2:00 am
Revision on 12/10/12
 Hi Lora,
While there are lots of snarky, nasty, and insensitive posts on this board yours is not one of them.

Without getting to into it . I lost most but not all of my weight 10 years ago. Kept all of it off for 5 years Personal tragedy over the next couple of years coupled with the challenges of a mentally ill step son caused me to revert to old habits. Seek comfort in food and alcohol. Over the past 2 years I have maintained my weight but can not seem to loose any. Comorbidity's have reappeared...This is not an easy decision and I do not take it lightly.

I probably should have posted on the Revision page but want to see if anyone else has gone through something similar. This is a support based site that's what I am looking for...

Best,
Whitney 

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 454 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 412 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 353 views
What's on your Monday Menu?