How do you know you need to see a psychologist?

(deactivated member)
on 5/24/12 11:36 pm - TX
RNY on 06/11/12
There you go! There is NEVER anything wrong with a life coach! They help in so many ways. I could not have a happier life without my person. She helps me see things that I cannot see.....
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 5/25/12 1:35 pm - OH
I would strongly encourage you to be sure to reach out to someone who actually has at least a Master's level formal education and specific training in counseling, and who is licensed and therefore bound by a code of ethics and a standard of appropriate care.  There are WAY too many people with no training whatsoever who hang out a shingle as a "life coach" (and take advantage of the fact that they are not held to any standard of professional care or any specific code of ethics, and therefore cannot be held accountable and liable for any kind of malpractice).  There are SOME "life coaches" who have degrees in counseling or social work, but most of them do not, and  -- trust me -- they can do far more harm than good if someone needs more than just someone offering their own opinions and advice based on nothing more than their own "common sense" and personal experience.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

(deactivated member)
on 5/25/12 12:20 am - WA

You are displaying depressive episodes. I too got them and mine would only last 1-2 days and never on a reqular basis. But like you I would never hurt another person or kill myself. Until I had one bad episode where laying on my couch with the curtins closed in a darkened room I thought to myself, maybe I should just give up all together and kill myself. Just that thought had me bolt off that couch and call a therapist who saw me relatively soon and put me on meds that took it all away. I have never had another episode. My point is, you are describing depression. You should take care of yourself and see someone. They can assess you as to what is going on. Even justifying your depression as regret over past mistakes is something you can fix and stop. Get help now, because when it gets worse you will not see it coming until it happens.

poet_kelly
on 5/25/12 1:39 am - OH
I think if you are wondering if you should see someone, you should see someone.  At least a few times so you can find out whether or not it would be helpful for you.  I understand you're not suicidal, but that feeling of now wanting to go on is a horrible feeling, and you shouldn't have to feel that way.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

chatterpam
on 5/25/12 1:45 am - PA
I will make it short and sweet, like Kelly, it you are thinking you might need to see someone - then see someone. There is SO much out there to help. You don't have to go through it alone.

Dagne Tripplehorn
on 5/25/12 2:57 am - OR
RNY on 04/06/12
Insurance now has to cover mental health the same way it covers physical health. At least, ODS and Medicare do. I think it's a federal law. 

I've seen many counselors and therapists. One or two have been helpful. The rest had no talent or ability. Some didn't like me, others I didn't like. In my opinion based on decades of client/patient experience, therapy doesn't fix depression. Medication (often) fixes depression. However, a good therapist can help you maintain certain changes that tend to lift depression, like exercise, volunteering, and learning to relate better with others. 

Do not stay with a therapist, counselor, or life coach who doesn't "get" you, you don't relate to, or who isn't helpful. There are plenty to choose from in most areas. A bad fit is a waste of time and might even make you feel more hopeless.

Hey, I've made a lifetime's worth of mistakes, some of them very hurtful. At times I feel so guilty I think I need an exorcist more than a therapist. 
jk

brenlee1965
on 5/25/12 11:24 am - New Berlin, NY
Love the "Life Coach" and that you should "gift yourself"....Seeking help is truly LOVING yourself. I think that SMART people seek Help. It's a shame that more people don't seek help. Many therapists will use a sliding scale for cost! You are worth it! I applaud anyone and everyone that gets help when it's needed. :clap
 Bren                
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 5/25/12 1:44 pm - OH
Please be aware, though, that ALL states regulate the licensure and practice of counselors,  psychologists, and social workers, but VERY few license or monitor "life coaches" in any way.  They often have very little (or no) formal education or training, and since they are not licensed, they cannot be held to any code of ethics or standard of professional care.  They usually become "life coaches" in order to avoid having to spend the time and money on a Master's degree, taking licensure exams, completing required continuing education units (required to renew licensure every year or two), and being legally accountable for failure to adhere to ethical standards and a minimal level of competent care in court.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Most Active
Recent Topics