How do you know you need to see a psychologist?

EboniLamis
on 5/24/12 10:29 pm - MI
I have random times of anxiety where I feel like it is the end of the world.  And I just dont want to go on.  But I would never kill myself, I just feel like I have done too many dumb mistakes and get depressed.  Usually it does not last more than a couple of days.
(deactivated member)
on 5/24/12 10:33 pm - TX
RNY on 06/11/12
Well everyone is different so I can't say that you should do this or do that.

For ME, I know it is time to see my person again is when I start lashing out at inappropriate times. This week was a good example, I had a hard time with people on this post due to no fault of their own... It was me... Then something else happened and then I knew... I gotta go see my person. That is what I call her, "My person"... Got that from Grey's Anatomy this year..

I can't offer anything else except if you feel you need someone to talk to by all means go.
Amy D.
on 5/24/12 10:44 pm - VA
RNY on 03/13/12
I don't think there's any simple answer as to when you need to see a psychologist. For me it helps to see "my person" (thx wpmom) for an objective view point. My husband and friends are great confidants, but they are biased and don't want to hurt my feelings. I like seeing the psych because she's kind but objective. It helps to get an outsider's perspective sometimes. And I find I can be more honest with her than my family/friends because I don't have to worry about her reaction or feelings.

I think if you're experiencing frequent or regular episodes of depression or anxiety then it would probably be beneficial for you to find someone to talk to.

Good luck to you and hang in there!

HW: 272 lbs. (BMI 49.7)     SW: 237 lbs. (BMI 43.3)    GW: 140 lbs. (BMI 25.6)   
(deactivated member)
on 5/24/12 10:44 pm - Romulus, MI
RNY on 04/25/12
Please, if you have have thoughts of hurting yourself or others, go to the nearest emergency room!!!

With that said, I used to work for a Mental Health agency and it sounds as if you should probably check with your insurance and make an appointment to see a Therapist. Therapists are wonderful at helping you set life goals and working with you to find ways to accomplish them.

I call my Therapist my Life Coach. I do not neccesarily see her every month, there are times when I don't see her for a year! Then there are times when I have hit a rough patch and I see her for 3 weeks in a row! It all depends on you and how you are feeling and if you are making progress with your therapy.

I too have anxiety and my Life Coach has offered several ways for me to work through it. If I feel so overwhelmed that I just can't get through it...I have a prescription for xanax, a very small dose. Which does help me out a lot.

I was told by a coworker that the true sign of insanity is doing the same things over and over again and expecting a different result! lol So try something different and then possibly you will get a different result and feel better when you are having a difficult day.

I pray that you will get the help that you need and that you can find some peace. Life is to short, believe me...I have been there and more than likely, I will go there again. I just know that it is not where I want to be and I try to use the tools that I have been given to get back on track.

Big Hugs to you Eboni and take care.
SarinaHaas
on 5/24/12 10:46 pm - NY
RNY on 02/28/12
I think a therapist is the best gift any person can give themselves :)
(deactivated member)
on 5/24/12 10:56 pm - Romulus, MI
RNY on 04/25/12
Amen to that!
MichelleNC
on 5/24/12 10:50 pm
Sarina that was a great sentence. I keep tossing it around if I should go to one not for my weight just my marriage and life in general....I keep thinking about that dang co pay but you are right it is the best gift you can give yourself! Eboni I think you should do it if you are wondering if you should go why not go and see how you like it. Do you feel better walking out of the office etc.
Good Luck,
Michelle

Michelle
Did the happy dance onto the Loser's Bench March 18, 2013!

Visit my blog at http://skinnyundermyfat.blogspot.com/

Laura in Texas
on 5/24/12 10:52 pm
You're only 9 months out. Your hormones are still going crazy from the weight loss. I remember that time well. That plus being on birth control (I used to be on depo shots) made me feel like I was going insane. I never sought help. Looking back, maybe I should have. I got off birth control and as my weight loss slowed down, I felt much better. I just kept telling myself "this too shall pass".

If you think you need to see a therapist, then do so.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

wvugal89
on 5/24/12 10:58 pm - MD
I have suffered from depression for a while and knowing that I was having WLS, I wanted to work out the issuess and use this gift the right way. I began seeing a therapist 4 months before my surgery and still go every week. So far I have been able to handle everything that would have spiraled me down before. It is so worth my copay!

Teri-Lynn

EboniLamis
on 5/24/12 11:31 pm - MI
Ok I am going to make an appointment.  I can tell that I need a Life coach.  I think it will help me even on this journey.  My husband did say I have been emotional.