Help! I Seem To Be Losing Some Hair!!!!!!!

Darlene M.
on 5/26/12 2:00 pm
I am 4 and 1/2 months out and I have always had VERY think, long hair...I mean long like a good ways down below my behind...but now it is getting a good deal thinner... and I have noticed that I always have hair in the shower... I mean a good little bit, not just one or two strands... and when I bru**** my brush is full of hair. 

I'm worried about this!

I make sure that I take all of my vitamins everyday and I take in at LEAST 75-90 grams of protein a day, so I am wondering what the deal is? 

I go back to the doctor in a couple of weeks, but I just thought if somebody on here has had a similar experience and then got it "fixed" I would certainly appreciate hearing how you were able to take care of the issue.....

Thanks a bunch in advance!

Darlene
poet_kelly
on 5/26/12 2:03 pm - OH
It's called telogen effluvium and is a side effect of general anesthesia.  Usually starts about three months post op.  Lasts for a couple months, then it should grow back.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Darlene M.
on 5/26/12 2:10 pm
Ok..thanks Kelly!  I was/am in a panic!  I KNOW I am getting in the protein, but still am losing the hair...now I have something to research!  Have a great night!
Darlene
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 5/26/12 2:27 pm - OH
As Kelly said, it is called telogen effluvium.  Almost everyone who has RNY loses some hair.  How much varies widely, though.  Some lose very little and some (like me) lose a lot.  It usually lasts about 4-5 months, and the hair (or at least most of it) will grow back.

NOT getting in all your protein and vitamins can increase the amount of hair you lose, but since the hair loss is not caused by lack of protein or vitamins, getting them in or getting more of them will not prevent it.   

Many people who lose a lot cut it shorter to make it look fuller, but I am guessing that you are probably not open to that., LOL.  Just be sure to keep it trimmed so the bottom of it does not look thin and "scraggly".  Also keep in mind that, unless it gets very thin, others will probably not even notice.  Some people fnd that biotin helps promote regrowth, but others find that it makes little difference.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 455 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 414 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 354 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 437 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 354 views