Dumping?

nkara
on 5/31/12 10:20 am
 I think I've figured out this is how I dump. 

I have been watching everything I eat, have not eaten anything bad for me at all.  I look at sugar as lethal now.  Nothing more than protein, veggies, fruits for me.  I stick to sugar free and less than 15 grams of sugar if it does have some in it.   

I have found that some days an item of food that didn't bother me will bother me .. for example.  Hummus  - yesterday I ate some hummus for lunch and about 1/2 hour later I was having cramps and just a sour feeling in my stomach.  I did not throw up but once I got home I had to go to the bathroom.  (normal - not running - if you get my meaning.) 

And this has happened a few times so I think I realized that this is how I dump.   

Just wanted to put that out there for anyone who isn't sure?  I guess it's not catastrophic for everyone.  Of course I guess I could but I don't push my diet to see if I will.  
 Realize Band 11/2009 ... revision to RNY 12/27/11. 

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 5/31/12 10:29 am - OH
What you are experiencing is just your body objecting to the hummus some days and not others.  It is not dumping.  Dumping is a very specific reaction of your lower intestine to unprocessed sugar and it involves racing heart, sweating/flushing, dizziness/lightheadedness, and a general feeling of being very ill and needing to be in a horizontal position! It may or may not involve nausea, cramping, or diarrhea.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

nkara
on 5/31/12 10:39 am
 oh interesting. I've seen many people say there are different levels of dumping.  Some people get the whole shebang and others don't.  I was thinking I just had a milder version.  Oh well. 
 Realize Band 11/2009 ... revision to RNY 12/27/11. 

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 5/31/12 10:52 am - OH
Yes, sometimes it definitely is milder than other times (depending on how much sugar you ingest), and sometimes you may not get the entire list of symptoms, but people almost always get SOME of the non-digestive related symptoms whereas all of yours were just the digestive ones.

Lora

poet_kelly
on 5/31/12 11:29 am - OH
Cramps and pooping isn't dumping.  And I don't think you would dump on hummus.

Dumping happens when someone eats too much sugar and while stomach pain usually goes along with it. people also feel sweaty, have a rapid heart beat, and usually feel dizzy, too.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

vogel_girl
on 5/31/12 1:19 pm
I havne't had surgery yet but the dumping has me soo nervous. I heard so many different stories. None of them sound like fun though. How do you all deal with your dumping and can you make it go away fast?
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 5/31/12 1:37 pm - OH
Only about 1/3 of the people who have RNY dump, so most people don't really have to deal with it at all.  The only way to "deal" with dumping, though, if you are someone who does dump, is to avoid it by watching how much sugar (or carbs) you consume.  Once you actually enter a dumping episode there really isn't much you can do except wait it out (usually curled up in a ball somewhere...).  I have one friend who says she can shorten her dumping episodes by drinking some protein (milk or a protein shake), but the couple of times I have dumped, the LAST thing I was willing to do was put any other food or drink in my body!

lora

Lady Lithia
on 5/31/12 1:54 pm
I didn't want to dump. SO.. what I did was hope I wouldn't. I did though. Drat.

MOST of my dumping episodes are VERY mild. How I do this, particularly in the beginning when I was figuring out my own particular issues, was to eat slowly and be VERY focused on my body. If my heart started to race, I knew I was heading towards dumping.

I did not eat another bite when I started feeling bad, and if I c aught it fast enough, it was no more than a short-term discomfort.

If I ate highly processed sugars (High fructose corn syrup) particularly with fats, and especially with trans fats, then I would react MUCH faster than if it was simple unprocessed sugars.

My WORST dumping episodes were when I didn't read a label and assumed it was okay! or if I had the flu, I was always twice as sensitive (cough syrups NO WAY).

Not all sugar is created equal.

Now I rarely dump. Part of that is because I keep sugars to single digits, and carbs to 25 or fewer per meal.

~Lady Lithia~ 200 lbs lost! 
March 9, 2011 - Coccygectomy!
I chased my dreams, and my dreams, they caught me!
giraffesmiley.gif picture by hardyharhar_bucket