4wks post op. How much/often do you eat?

BeccaM76
on 6/3/12 10:04 am
My nutritionist says I can eat 1/4 cup of food at a time. What does "at a time" mean? Every 2 hours? Every hour? 3 times a day? I asked her and she didn't really give me a straight answer. I'm not meaning the protein shakes. I have 2 of those a day (equalling 60g protein a day).

For example, today I had 1/4c mix of refried beans, cottage cheese and marinara sauce. Then, about an hour later I really wanted some canned asparagus. So, I had 1/4c of that. Is that ok?

How much and often do you eat at this stage? Like I said, I'm 4wks post op RNY and am on the soft food stage.

TIA!

Hollie313
on 6/3/12 12:14 pm - MI
RNY on 05/09/12
"At a time" means at your meal times....not snacking.  They (or she) should
have told you how many small meals you should be having a day.  For example,
my info says I can have 1/4 - 1/2 cup at a time.  I should be having 3 to 4
small meals.  I do have snacks (sf popsicles, sf jello) in between, but those
aren't meals. 

I would call her and tell her that she was not clear on what your meal
frequency should be.  If she can't tell you, then leave a message for your
doctor or surgeon.  They should know.

Surgery: 5/9/12              HW: 302           SW:  287.6        CW:  158

Katie C.
on 6/3/12 12:15 pm - chugiak, AK
My nutritionist told me I should eat approximantly 11g of protein every 3 hours. ( I am just over 4 weeks post op) I have really only been getting in about 5 meals a day, I just can't get on a good schedule, hoping that changes tomorrow when I go back to work. She suggested basically 3 meals and 3 snacks. The meal should consist of 3-4 oz of meat/ protein, and 1/4 cup of veggies. I am on the real food stage so I am getting in all my protein now and the weight is coming off again. (yes i had the 3 week no loss "stall" like you read about on here all the time.) 

Good luck!

Katie
"Wrinkles only go where the smiles have been"

poet_kelly
on 6/3/12 12:16 pm - OH
I don't know how often your nutritionist recommends patients eat.  If she won't give you an answer to a simple question like that, you might want to find a new dietician to work with.

I was told to eat four to six times a day and at four weeks post op was usually eating five times a day.  One of those meals was supposed to be a protein shake.

I don't think it's necessarily bad that you ate asparagus an hour after your beans and ricotta cheese, but eating meals that close together will make it difficult to get your liquids in, since we are advised to wait at least 30 minnutes after eating before drinking anything.  What really matters, though, is how much you're eating over the whole course of the day.  If I ate every hour, I would end up getting too many calories.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 6/3/12 12:34 pm - OH
I started out from Day 1 eating 6 times a day (3 meals and 3 protein snacks... although very early out you can eat so little that the meals and snacks look pretty much the same), and at almost 5 years out I still eat 6 times per day and sometimes add an extra protein snack before bedtime.  Doing that helps keep your metabolism up throughout the day and keeps your blood sugar at a more even level.  My surgeon was very insistent that all meals and snacks be protein based (so, according to her, your snack of asparagus would not have been a good choice... It should have been at least half protein... But that is according to MY surgeon's guidelines).

Unfortunately, I cannot tell you exactly how much I was eating because I was able to feel "full" by the second week after surgery, so I just ate until I was full and therefore did not need to measure anything.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

alwaysick
on 6/3/12 12:55 pm - new brighton, PA
wow,4 weeks out and able to eat canned asparagus,i had my surgery 9/20/10 and have just 3 months ago starting eating o.k.,today i had a hot dog and still vomited that up.I was on liquids ONLY for 5 solid months.
Dianne Lynn Elko

poet_kelly
on 6/3/12 1:30 pm - OH
But you know most people are not only liquids only for five months, right?  Most people are on soft foods, whi*****ludes cooked veggies, by four weeks post op.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

BeccaM76
on 6/3/12 1:08 pm
Thanks everybody.  I will call her tomorrow and clarify her orders.  Eating asparagus 1 hr after eating my "meal" was kind of a fluke.  I just REALLY wanted some Usually I'm getting about 2-3 "meals" per day with 2 protein drinks a day.  I am just now allowed to start adding more soft foods as my snacks.

Thanks for the help!

amyred27
on 12/5/12 5:19 am

my mom had the surgery 20 years ago an she still vomits hot dogs and speghetti

Most Active
Recent Topics