My surgeon is closing her practice

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 6/7/12 1:15 pm - OH
The cir****tances are a bit sketchy (based on rumor mostly at the moment), but the reason doesn't really matter.  The hospital network sent us a letter (it did not even come from my surgeon's office) just telling people that she woild no longer be practicing there after July 26th and telling people who are less than 90 days out of surgery which surgeon in the same hospital network (but at another hospital) to contact for their follow-up, and who the people more than 90 days out could choose from (the early out folks apparently don't get a choice!).

I really liked my surgeon (even though we did have a disagreement when I was first having that mysterious belly pain and she refused to do surgery because it was probably "just adhesions", etc.) and even though I don't anticipate needing her surgical services for anything again, and my PCP had already said that he sold be happy to manage my labs, it makes me a little apprehensive about who I would see if I did have some kind of problem down the road.

It also makes me sad.  Even though she just did the surgery, and I am the one who had to choose what and how much to eat, what kind and level of physical activity to get, etc., I chose her after going to the info session for the other primary baraitric surgeon in our area at the time because of her warmth and no-nonsense approach... And I  feel like she helped me get my life back.  

I'm not even sure why I am posting this.  Just needed to express it to someone I guess.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Shelly S.
on 6/7/12 1:25 pm - Mason, MI
I understand how you are feeling. My surgeon is continuing to practice, but not performing WLS any longer. I heard about it last fall and was sad.

I feel your pain, but it will be alright, Lora---you are well connected and so educated. You just have so many changes right now----keep your chin up!
Shelly Smith    
HW 326 SW 293 CW 180 GW 160        
rbb825
on 6/7/12 4:25 pm - Suffern, NY
I am so sorry you are going through this.  Look on the bright side, that you had her for the 5 years that you really needed her and hopefully you wont need her anymore.  If you do, make sure you do a great deal of research on the list of surgeons you are given or if possible, check out others in the area that you might feel more qualified.  I know I went to 5 or 6 surgeons until I found one that I felt was qualified for my case.  It is really important to find the one that we feel is right for us.

I think in the long run you might be better off if you can find a surgeon that is more open minded and is more willing to operate when things go wrong and dont make you wait for so long when in such pain.  I certainly hope that never happens again but if it does, you want someone that will be more available to you.

I wish you the best and hope you can find someone soon.  I also think it is terrible that the surgeon didnt notify you when she was leaving.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 6/7/12 5:13 pm - OH
If I were to need a baraitric surgeon for some reason in the future, I already know that I would go to the lead surgeon in the other hospital system in town rather than any of the remaining surgeons in the first hospital system.  He was my surgeon's mentor of sorts when they used to be in the same surgical office (then he left) and is one of the few surgeons in the state that will do various kinds of revisions and reversals (so is very talented and experienced). I had an appointment set up with him when I was having the belly pain as my last local attempt before keeping the appointments the general surgeon (who also did not want to operate without knowing what was going on) set up for me at the Cleveland Clinic (but then my RNY surgeon finally realized that I really WAS in significant pain and said she would do the surgery so I cancelled the consultation and the CC appointments).

Lora

poet_kelly
on 6/7/12 4:48 pm - OH
I understand.  The surgeon that did my RNY closed his practice, then I found another surgeon to do my follow up, and a year later, she left her practice!  I wonder why so many surgeons seem to be closing their practices?

My PCP is doing my follow up now but if something surgical came up, I'd find a new surgeon, of course.  If you would feel better about it, you can find a new surgeon to do your follow up instead of relying on your PCP.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 6/7/12 5:23 pm - OH
I am very comfortable with my PCP doing my labs and general care, and if for some reason I would need a bariatric surgeon, I know that I would go to the one that I had set up the consultation with (but never saw) before my surgeon agreed to do the exploratory last summer.  He is, without question, the best overall surgeon in the area. 

It's just kind of weirdly sad that she is leaving (and, knowing at least a little bit about what is behind it, I wonder what her future holds).  I, too, sometimes wonder why so many WLS seem to quit.

The really important question is how it is possible that it is almost 3:30am and I am still not able to sleep despite having taken a Lunesta at 10pm and a Tylenol PM at 1:30am...

Lora

poet_kelly
on 6/7/12 10:55 pm - OH
I've noticed you on the forum late at night a lot lately.  I have times I've taken ambien or trazadone or something that should make me sleep and still been up.  Really really tired and out of it, but up.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 6/8/12 1:17 am - OH
Yep, that's it exactly... almost zombie-like sometimes, but still unable to sleep.  Hopefully the posts I make during those hours make sense.  I learned the hard way NOT to work on my dissertation during those times (other than just entering reference info or notes), because half of what I wrote one night (about 3 hours of work) made very little sense once I had slept.

Lora

KittenLove
on 6/7/12 11:44 pm - Around Knoxville, TN
I couldn't imagine how you feel - mine is simply moving over to a new healthcare system in town and moving two miles away from their current location and I'm all torn up!!!!!!!!!

**hugs**

Be happy. 

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 6/8/12 1:18 am - OH
I guess I am just surprised that it bothers me so much...

Lora

Most Active
Recent Topics