New Life Bariatric Vitamins

artroxy blue
on 6/7/12 10:11 am - MA
RNY on 08/14/12
 Has anyone used these vitamins? They claim no deficiencies for bariatric patients...here's the link:

www.newlifebariatricsupplements.com/index.php
jthubbard
on 6/7/12 10:19 am - NC
RNY on 04/16/12
That's where I had my surgery almost 2 months ago.  I started using these but switched to Melaleuca vitamins.  I was using them before and loved them so I want to keep using them and I checked all the numbers.  That is not to say that the New Life vitamins aren't good.  I believe they meet all the criteria we need and if I wasn't using the melaleuca vitamins I would be using these.

Todd

Checkout my new blog at http://mansperspctiveafterwls.blogspot.com/
artroxy blue
on 6/7/12 10:23 am - MA
RNY on 08/14/12
 Thanks for the input! I really appreciate it!  

I'm trying to streamline this vitamin situation for after surgery, and these seemed like a good bet. I have Bariatic Fusion chewables, but I'd rather have something not chewable for the long haul, and small enough that I don't gag. 
(deactivated member)
on 9/19/14 1:26 am

I started using bariatric multivitamins from New Life but after a year I switched to vita4life. Not that I had problems with newlife vitamins but the dosage levels were not clearly mentioned. My nutritionist suggested that I switch to vita4life and I did so. They offer the vitamins in dosage I need and all the nutrients are mentioned clearly.

poet_kelly
on 6/7/12 10:22 am - OH
I didn't see any claims of no deficiencies.  I saw a claim of fewer deficiencies than patients that took no vitamins.  Something like, patients taking New Life were 73% less likely to have iron deficiencies than patients taking no vitamins.  Well, some is better than none, sure.

I can't tell you how good I think these are because I cannot find the nutrition facts on their website.  That always makes me very suspicious. 

All in one vitamins like this typically don't work well for us because certain nutrients interfere with the absorption of others.  Like, if these contain the proper amount of calcium citrate (they would need to have 250 mg calcium citrate per tablet since they direct RNY patients to take six a day), that means that in order to absorb any iron in them, we'd only be able to take one tablet at a time.  So you'd have to take one tablet six times a day.  I would find it hard to remember to take a vitamin six times a day - I currently take vitamins four times a day and sometimes have trouble remembering one of those doses.

If they really have everything the ASMBS recommends, each tablet would need to have 1/3 of the RDA of most vitamins and minerals, along with 250 mg calcium citrate.  So they would be kinda big tablets.  Think one big calcium horse pill PLUS 1/3 of a normal multi like Centrum.

If you can find the nutritional facts, could you please direct me to them?  I'd like to see.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

artroxy blue
on 6/7/12 10:25 am, edited 6/7/12 10:28 am - MA
RNY on 08/14/12
 If you scroll down further on the page, there is a link for a comparison for other vitamins vs. these. It should pop-up in a separate window. 

I haven't seen an actual label so that's why I was wondering if anyone had used them. 
poet_kelly
on 6/7/12 10:29 am - OH
I saw that, but the print was tiny and it was hard to read.  I wanted to see the label.

Bariatric Fusion, by the way, is not a real good vitamin for us.  To get the 200% of the RDA that the ASMBS recommends, you'd need EIGHT of them a day.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

artroxy blue
on 6/7/12 10:35 am - MA
RNY on 08/14/12
 Yeah, I haven't found an actual label on their site. I'd like to know for sure what's in it, you know? 

I'm only using the BF chewables for the first few weeks, then moving back to a regular vitamin with whatever supplements I'll need. I had ordered them a while ago, before I knew all my vitamin/mineral needs post-surgery. Lesson learned! 
jthubbard
on 6/7/12 10:30 am - NC
RNY on 04/16/12
I was going to attach a spreadsheet I put together when I was comparing them with my melalueca vitamins but I don't see how to attach an attachment.

Sorry
Todd

Checkout my new blog at http://mansperspctiveafterwls.blogspot.com/
artroxy blue
on 6/7/12 10:38 am - MA
RNY on 08/14/12
 No probs! Thanks anyway! 
Recent Topics
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 5 replies · 52 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 358 views