Tummy Tuck ???

Daspian
on 6/8/12 12:04 am
Hi;
I'm thinking of getting a tummy tuck to deal with some of the lose skin that is around my middle, and love handles, can anyone give me some advise? I'm three years + out and don't have a lot of lose skin but after 140 or so pounds gone I think I need the skin gone.
Was wondering how much it cost, does ins. ever help, do you stay in the hospital, is recovery bad etc.
Please help.
Thanks.
David
EthelMae
on 6/8/12 12:07 am - MD
David - take a look at the Plastic Surgery board.  The people there are a wealth of knowledge.

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/plasticsurgery/

~Barb
Highest - 279 (08/2009)     Program Weight - 256 (03/10)  Surgery Weight - 232 (05/24/11)     

Laura in Texas
on 6/8/12 12:07 am
If you haven't already, ask on the plastics board:

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/plasticsurgery/a,messagebo ard/ 

I had a lower body lift last summer. Best thing I ever did for my mental health. I finally feel "whole" again.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Daspian
on 6/8/12 2:50 am
Does the plastic board have a forum? I didn't see how to get on the forum part.
Thanks,
David
Larry Wassmann
on 6/8/12 12:21 am - Lacey, WA
RNY on 05/09/12
I lost 200lbs 15 years ago via a diet. Gained it all back plus. When I was down, I had a tummy tuck. Then it cost me $5K plus. Surgery was not bad. Spent one night in hospital. Had to wear a drain for a few weeks, kind of a pain but not bad. I looked great, had a 6 pack the surgeon firmed up some stomach muscle for me so I loved it. However under a ton of fat as it is now, it does me no good. The skirt that hung down on my tummy never came back even with my current weight gain. As I had RNY in May the skirt is not coming back and the surgeon told me that it probably will never come back or at least not very much. So I would say it was worth the money to me and there is no way you are going to exercise or diet away lose skin.

Please go to my blog http://www.lwassmann.blogspot.com/

fb.png   Visit my Blog at  http://www.lwassmann.blogspot.com/                                

Daspian
on 6/8/12 12:57 am
Thanks Larry, good advise. I will check the plastics board too.
Thanks,
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 6/8/12 1:10 am - OH
The only thing insurance will cover is a panniculectomy (removal of excess skin below the belly button), and then only if it is of significant size and casuing skin issues.  Unless you have a hernia that needs repaired, it is unlikely that they will coevr a full tummy tuck with muscle tightening.  You might not need muscle tightening, though... just removing the excess skin migth be enough (and that is MUCH cheaper).  Only a consultation with a plastic surgeon (I suggestconsulting with more than one surgeon, especially since there are some who try to "upsell" you just to increase their profits) will tell you that, though.

Most of the time, any hospital stay is just overnight for a tummy tuck.  If you ahve the full deal with muscle tightening, it can be extremely painful.  (My tummy tuck was far more painful than my open RNY... tied with an open hernia repair as the most painful surgery I have ever had).  Costs vary widely from place to place and from surgeon to surgeon (and varies depending on whether the surgeon uses a full-service hospital or a specialized surgical facility), but I paid around $6000 for mine.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Capt_Kirk
on 6/8/12 1:36 am - WA
RNY on 06/12/12
On June 8, 2012 at 8:10 AM Pacific Time, ****rogirl wrote:
The only thing insurance will cover is a panniculectomy (removal of excess skin below the belly button), and then only if it is of significant size and casuing skin issues.  Unless you have a hernia that needs repaired, it is unlikely that they will coevr a full tummy tuck with muscle tightening.  You might not need muscle tightening, though... just removing the excess skin migth be enough (and that is MUCH cheaper).  Only a consultation with a plastic surgeon (I suggestconsulting with more than one surgeon, especially since there are some who try to "upsell" you just to increase their profits) will tell you that, though.

Most of the time, any hospital stay is just overnight for a tummy tuck.  If you ahve the full deal with muscle tightening, it can be extremely painful.  (My tummy tuck was far more painful than my open RNY... tied with an open hernia repair as the most painful surgery I have ever had).  Costs vary widely from place to place and from surgeon to surgeon (and varies depending on whether the surgeon uses a full-service hospital or a specialized surgical facility), but I paid around $6000 for mine.

Lora
 My insurance actually covers "Removal of Excess Skin" and a Panni.  They're listed as two seperate procedures in my plan.  I'm not sure what "removal of excess skin" falls under, but I guess I'll find out, if I end up needing it.

It's also based if there is a functional impairment.  I'm not sure how that is defined either, haha.
Shawna F.
on 6/8/12 7:31 am
Typically, if you have a hernia, insurance will cover the surgery but otherwise, it is out of pocket. In Pittsburgh, it is typically about $7,000. I had a hernia repair and they removed the excess skin. LOVE that I had this done..
Good luck!
avidreader
on 6/8/12 9:54 am - Cary, NC
I had a friend that had a hernia repair and her insurance paid for the hernia repair but she had to pay out of pocket for the TT.  I, too, had to pay out of pocket for my TT but it was well worth it.

Highest/Surgery/Current/Goal
250/241/139.5/125
I have a new philosophy, I'm only going to dread one day at a time.  Charlie Brown
Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 31 replies · 217 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 257 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 305 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 266 views