itsjustmeyousee
on 6/8/12 8:55 am
 Lora-how many procedures did that take?
LisaAnne
10/18/10

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 6/8/12 3:23 pm - OH
Three: the panni was done first, then the arms and mons lift were done together, and the tummy tuck was done last.  

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

AlohaJen
on 6/8/12 7:29 am
RNY on 09/05/12
I haven't had mine yet and I am worried about the exact thing... what will I do with all that flabby skin? I say if you have invested this much into your life, then you are worth the rest of the investment... we are both blessed with supportive husbands and you can't buy that for any amount of money.... I say you are worth it.... Keep at the ins thing and don't give up! 

HW 304   SW 258  CW 199  GW  160?

avidreader
on 6/8/12 9:46 am - Cary, NC
I had my tummy tuck 3 years after my RNY - they removed 8 pounds of skin and fat and I am so happy with the results. 

My father died and had a little life insurance policy that came to me - guess where the money went  - to my plastic surgeon!!!  Yes, there were bills I could have paid and purchases I could have made but this TT was so necessary for me.  I try not to look back and think about the money and what else I could have done with it - I just stand sideways and look in the mirror and smile!!

Highest/Surgery/Current/Goal
250/241/139.5/125
I have a new philosophy, I'm only going to dread one day at a time.  Charlie Brown
Dravens_Mommy
on 6/8/12 11:43 am - VA
I'm still preop so I don't know. Does anyone know if you can be billed for plastic surgery or if it has to be paid in full before the procedure?
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 6/8/12 3:25 pm - OH
I have never heard of anyone who did not have to pay the surgeon in full before the procedure.  Often it has to be paid by a certain number of days before the procedure to make sure charges clear, checks clear, etc. You can, however, take out specific loans for medical costs or can put it on a credit card and pay those over time, of course.

Lora

Laura in Texas
on 6/8/12 9:50 pm
Depends on the surgeon. Mine financed his portion of my bill. The surgery center had to be paid in full before my surgery.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

poisonivy
on 6/8/12 12:53 pm - lancaster, SC
 does anyone know if you can use a health savings account to pay  for plastics?
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 6/8/12 3:27 pm - OH
Many policies prohibit flexible Spending Accounts to be used for cosmetic surgery, but I have heard of people doing it anyway.  I am not sure about actual HSAs which have slightly different rules.

Lora

sudemo09
on 6/8/12 2:37 pm - Dover, NH
My husband had a panniculectomy in early April.  Because of medical issues, our insurance did pay for it.  We had to meet the deductible of course, and 20% after that, up to the out of pocket max.  So, $4500.

I will tell you, meet with more than one surgeon.  The first doc we met with was 'in network' and therefore would have cost less.  But after meeting the second PS, who did NOT offer a free consult even, we knew we wanted the 2nd surgeon to do the procedure.

Make sure you are very clear on what type of procedure you are discussing with the surgeon.  A panniculectomy is NOT a tummy tuck, and does not yield great cosmetic results.  My husband looks better, yes, but more important, he feels better.  That was his goal and so we are happy with his results.  He is still just 2 months post op, so it will look a little better as time goes on.

Also, there are different types of tummy tucks.  Personally, if I decide to have a TT, I would want an anchor TT.  I also want a thigh lift.  But I don't want either badly enough right now to pay for them out of pocket.

As far as I know, a Healthcare Spending Account/Savings account cannot be used for cosmetic procedures.  Because my husband's surgery was deemed 'medically necessary' (if your insurance will pay for it, it is pretty much guaranteed it has been deemed 'medically necessary') we were able to pre-plan and put aside the whole $4500 tax free.  It saved us $1000 in taxes, at least.....

And finally, as others have said, no you are not selfish for wanting this.  If you can swing the payments, go for it. 

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 55 replies · 479 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 31 replies · 402 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 391 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 25 replies · 340 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 152 views
Recent Topics