Still have NSV "moments" at 5 yrs out. Have I mentioned lately...

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 6/17/12 2:01 pm - OH
... how wonderful it is to go to the theater and have lots of EXTRA room in my seat (not even coming close to having my arms hang over the armrests!) instead of squeezing myself into a seat and praying that I am not angering the people next to me by taking up too much of their seat?!?! 

We have two theaters in town: one modern one that is just a few years old and one beautifully restored Victorian one (with the tiny original seats).  For about 7 or 8 years before my surgery, the old theater was the only one we had, and I had to miss some shows that I really wanted to see because there was just no way I could squeeze into those small seats.

I saw "Wicked" again tonight (and splurged on a better seat than I had last weekend... I was so close -- 2nd row -- that I could occasionally see the saliva spray from cast members in the lights as they were singing, LOL!) and as soon as I sat down (the people on both sides of me were already seated), I realized how much extra room there was in my seat.   Because there was only one row of people in front of me and then the open expanse of the stage, I felt a little like "Edith Ann" in the giant chair!  (Yes, I am dating myself...)  It is such a GREAT feeling!

(I guess I did not notice it as much last week because the seat was underneath the balcony above and had the sound booth directly behind, so it felt much more closed in.(

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Cleopatra_Nik
on 6/17/12 2:06 pm - Baltimore, MD
Congrats on your NSV! i keep hearing about Wicked. As I am poor, I am diligently waiting on Matthew Broderick or some such person to make a film version.
happy_baker
on 6/17/12 2:09 pm
RNY on 02/15/12
 Aww, this post made me smile. :)  I'm so glad you're enjoying yourself. 

I haven't been to the movie theater since surgery, so I'm excited to go and wiggle around in the seat myself. 
_._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. 
Check out my video blog!  www.youtube.com/user/HappilyShrinking/videos
Highest weight: 269.  Surgery weight: 233.  Goal weight: 144, and then we'll see.. 
kidnamedtoad
on 6/17/12 3:11 pm
What  a great feeling!
Toad         Starting weight: 249 Day of surgery wt: 217  GW: 109 CW 149                                                                    
fatfreemama
on 6/17/12 4:26 pm - San Jose, CA
Isn't it fun to still surprise ourselves? Did you read the book first? I read Wicked and found it filled with a lot of political and social satire, a lot like Alice in Wonderland is. So I've been hesitant to see the musical after reading the book. What do you think?

Jan
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 6/17/12 5:50 pm - OH
I did not read the book (both people I know *****ad it did not care for it), but I have heard that the musical is only VERY loosely based on the book (and it does not have the "adult content" found in the book).  I suppose one could read all sorts of commentary into the musical (animal rights, corrupt government, personal ambition) rather than just enjoying the story of the changing relationship between Elphaba and Galinda/Glinda, but that would be a little like the way my High School Honors English teacher ruined several of the books we read by making us delve so deeply into the symbolism, character motivations, etc. that the enjoyment of the story was lost.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

MarilynT
on 6/18/12 12:52 am
I found the book too long and the plot plodding. I did NOT want to see the play. However, my theater aficianado children DID, so off we went. It was ok...not my favorite, and certainly not something I would see repeatedly (like Lora! ). Now Phantom....I've lost track of how many times I've seen THAT! And I still cry every time!

Congrats on your NSV Lora!

Marilyn (now in NM)
RNY 10/2/01
262(HW)/150-155(GW)/159(CW)
(updated March 2012)

Selenan101
on 6/17/12 5:28 pm
RNY on 06/06/12
 That's fantastic!   Thanks so much for sharing, it's a great thing to give us newbies to look forward to!
 Selenan 

Winnie_the_Pooh
on 6/17/12 9:06 pm
I understand completely.  We have a newer cinema and an older cinema here.  The older cinema shows dollar movies (second run).  The seats were too small (or my butt was too big) to sit comfortably there.  Now, 100 lbs. lighter I have plenty of room. 

Two years ago my hubby and I went to NYC and went to a broadway show.  I did not fit.  I had to sit on the very front of the seat.  It was awful.  I did not enjoy the show at all.

Congrats that after almost 5 years you can continue to celebrate this NSV.

Winnie

KittenLove
on 6/17/12 9:31 pm - Around Knoxville, TN
Whoo hoo!!!

... I adore Edith Ann

Be happy. 

Most Active
Recent Topics