Question regarding strictures!!??!!??

tracy L.
on 6/20/12 4:01 am - PA
RNY on 05/21/12
Hi all! Have a question about food impactions, strictures!! I was moved up to regular foods on Friday at my 4 week postop appt., which was a few days early. I was 4 weeks out on Monday. So, Saturday afternoon I was able to eat 4 shrimp and tolerated it well. Saturday night I had some more but a piece got stuck- majorly I had the most severe chest pain, shortness of breath, tachycardia, dizziness and ended up vomiting 4-5 x before it cleared. Sunday and all day Monday, I stayed away from shrimp and ate a lot of fruit, drinks. Monday at work I had salad with chicken breast pieces and I did okay, a couple of times experienced a tiny bit of "sticking" but it passed. Last night I made tiny bay scallops, m&m sized, nice and soft and was VERY CONSCIOUS of chewing and chewing! Again, piece became lodged and was even more painful and awful than Saturday night!!!! Vomited several times and it came up! So, had just a protein shake for breakfast and later for a snack, very mushy fresh strawberries which went down but had discomfort, first time for that with strawberries. At lunch had chicken salad that was same consistency as when I did puréed and once again, brief episode of "stuck" with pain and then is passed on its own!! Can those with experience tell me if u think I am developing a structure or if I am just irritated because of original episode Saturday night with shrimp?!? Called office and am to do just puréed rest of today and tomorrow and let them know tomorrow afternoon how I am doing!! Thanks in advance!!!

MNJourney
on 6/20/12 5:06 am
It's possible that you are experiencing swelling or irritation due to the shrimp, however, what you describe sounds very much like the beginnings of a stricture.

Either way, protein shakes or pureed until you see your dr is a good idea.

HW:317 SW:255 CW:147

tracy L.
on 6/20/12 5:13 am - PA
RNY on 05/21/12
Thank you so much for responding!! My surgeon is actually out of town until next week but I spoke with his nurse and will check in with her again tomorrow! She told me who is covering for him but I hope it is just some irritation!! I will behave with purees and liquids for a day or two!!

marianthelibrarian
on 6/20/12 5:15 am
It's good that you called your doctor, and I hope you feel much better by tomorrow!

I don't have RNY experience yet, but I do have lapband experience.  I think that might be helpful here-- you can decide!  When bandsters throw up, we have to do one day of full liquids and one day of soft foods to let our stomachs settle back down.  It works!  It sounds like that is what your doctor is having you do.  Fingers crossed that it works for you, too!  :)

And you'll remind me of this in a couple of months when I'm in your shoes, okay?  :)

Lapband 4/2005:  342HW, 202LW
RNY 7/30/2012: 292HW, 276SW

tracy L.
on 6/20/12 5:39 am - PA
RNY on 05/21/12
It's a deal lol!!

FireFightersWife
on 6/20/12 5:16 am
so sorry your experiencing this!.. sometimes going into reg food is too hard on us.. and what your surgeon recommended is exactly right for you. Also maybe when going back to reg food..stick to one type at a time.. like a infant..when placing on food..we would do one food to make sure it is tolerated.. if this becomes a problem again.. you could be irritated and swollen and.. hope it is not road of stricture. Do not hesitate to let your Dr know anything even if it is just thinking your a worry wart.heck no.. and of course.. there are many whom have been through what you have and I hope you have no more problems :)
     HUGGS         
     TAMMY

~Failure is not trying~ Success is not given, but earned~
SW: 283lbs/HW: 287lbs/current 168lbs/NEWGOAL: 155lbs  
Living with PCOS/Fibromyalgia/Arthritis/MultipleSpinal-Hip Injuries/conditions
Hysterectomy 02/06/2012

MNJourney
on 6/20/12 5:24 am
I hope it doesn't turn out to be a stricture for you. However, please know that the "cure" is not so bad! Typically, they dialate the opening via an EGD. You'll be alseep!

HW:317 SW:255 CW:147

JaneJetson
on 6/20/12 5:29 am
RNY on 05/07/12
 Tracy, just keep doing what  your surgons nurse told you.  From what I have read on OH alot of people cannot do the chicken for a long time and or shrimp, crab.  What we can't do now, we may be able to do later and vice versus!  It can be fickle as to what our pouch will tolerate or not tolerate day to day. Please keep us posted and keep it light and easy.  Take Care, Jane
tracy L.
on 6/20/12 5:44 am - PA
RNY on 05/21/12
Thanks everyone I know this can happen, the sensitive pouch as well as irritation or stricture!! Is it even possible to develop a stricture this early out?!? I had a hiatal hernia repair as well but I don't know if that makes any difference? I think it is odd I ate shrimp fine that afternoon but not later and the chicken I have been doing for a couple of weeks cuz used it with puréed. Guess time will tell me!! Thanks for all the responses Will update tomorrow!!

sumueulu
on 6/20/12 6:46 am
You may have had a reaction to the consistency of the shrimp. Then the throwing up irritated your pouch and that can lead to more throwing up, if you eat something again that irritated it. I have to give it a day if that happens, or 2 sometimes, before everything returns to normal.
Could be a stricture, or a fickle pouch like mine!
Sarah
Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 464 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 423 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 358 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 440 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?