Ok TMI but I would like to know this!!

BetterFutureAhead
on 7/3/12 12:58 pm - DE
Ok so I got my period today!! BTW timing couldn't be worse!! For the first time in months me and my fiance have the house to ourselves but no my uterus has its own plans!! Anyway I bleed like I could die from blood loss!! I was just wondering if after my RNY will the bleeding lighten up or will I always bleed like a pig?? Any advice will help!! I'm just so tiered and I am confined to my bed most of the time because of cramps that make me double over in pain!! And I sleep all the time and idk if the tieredness is from me bleeding so much or a normal side effect of having my period!!
God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can and the wisdom to know the differance!!    
LJ1972
on 7/3/12 2:14 pm - FL
hasn't made a bit of difference for me..... sorry
maybe you can check with your doc about going ahead and starting iron supplements?
BetterFutureAhead
on 7/3/12 3:12 pm - DE
 ok thanks ill talk to my dr about the iron suppliments!!
God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can and the wisdom to know the differance!!    
Sara L.
on 7/3/12 4:43 pm
You might look at the mirena iud, it really helped me. My period went away,completely! It's pretty easy to get one, and easy to get it removed if and when you want to be pregnant.

BetterFutureAhead
on 7/3/12 4:53 pm - DE
That's not a bad idea!! As soon as my surgeon gives me and my fiance the ok to start trying to get pregnant then that's exactly what we going to do!! What is the minimum amount of time you have to wait to get pregnant after RNY?? My cousin says a year and she had the RNY also but I was just wondering if she was right!! I was planing on condoms being our best friend till we are allowed to start trying!! I don't mind my period the cramps are bad but child birth is worse i'm assuming and if the sleeping all the time and having no energy to do the simplest things would ease up or go away then I wouldn't mind getting my period!! Thanks for the reply!!
TamaraL
on 7/3/12 9:50 pm
most physicians recommend you wait a year to try.  Try losing as much weight as you can.  You are not able to absorb vitamins and you mal absorb food for the first 1 year to 1 1/2 years.  I recommend waiting just because you want the baby to get all the nutrition you can.   also with weight loss surgery the whole purpose for me was to get healthy and get back to a reasonable weight so my co morbidities would clear up

So please wait a year

Sara L.
on 7/4/12 7:46 am
OK, did you understand my point about not having a period once you get the Mirena???  NOT GETTING A PERIOD AT ALL means no cramping, no blood loss no fatigue.  

Once you reach goal weight and get approval from your doctor, you can have the mirena removed and start trying right away. 

Different doctors have different ideas about how long you should wait to start trying to get pregnant.  My surgeon wants his patients to wait at least a year.

I vote for no period....and if you have bad cramping, why put up with that????

Sara in Maui

Laura in Texas
on 7/3/12 9:50 pm
For many of us, myself included, it got MUCH worse post-RNY. My periods used to be 3 days long, with only one semi-heavy day. Post-RNY it was like a pig slaughter for a week straight. It was like this for me for over a year. Now at almost 4 years out, mine have gotten a bit better, but are still much worse than before. Ugh!!

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

wendydettmer
on 7/3/12 9:58 pm - Rochester, NY
mine has gotten much worse. They are at least a week long. I do have the paraguard IUD (which i hope to get out soon) and they were just normal before surgery. I am much crampier now as well.

Follow my vegan transition at www.bariatricvegan.com
HW:288    CW:146.4   GW: 140    RNY: 12/22/11  

WifeMama
on 7/3/12 11:59 pm
RNY on 06/21/12
 I am not far enough post-op to comment on periods, however I am "qualified" to comment on IUD.  Getting pregnant on IUD isn't as uncommon as it may seem.  I had the 10 year IUD...and at the 3 year mark (after no problems or complications) I got pregnant!  The doctor said she had no idea why, it hadn't moved and wasn't defective (when she took it out after finding out I was pregnant).  I now have a happy, very active, bouncy 3 year old that I adore.  Just thought I'd give an FYI because I know the importance of BC post-op.   
Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 55 replies · 437 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 31 replies · 362 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 361 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 25 replies · 310 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 6 replies · 165 views
Recent Topics