Ultimate NSV!

heatherambrosia
on 7/5/12 11:28 pm - GA
So, my C25K app is over after 9 weeks of training. I went from a 60 second walk/60 second jog for 16 minutes total to running for 30 minutes straight with only 2 water breaks and maybe two 30 seconds walks!

The best part of this is not just what I've accomplished, but that I've just started and I've learned so much about myself and my body. My weight loss is still stuck, but I've bumped up the calories since I'm running about 9-10 miles a week plus Zumba and weight lifting. I know it will budge soon.

I have about 2 weeks before my first 5K and another month and 1/2 for the "big" one. Here are some thoughts and advice I had for friends on FB so far. If you run or walk, what would you add to this list?

‎9 Things I’ve Learned in 9 Weeks of Running:

1) Start easy. Do a walk/jog combo or even just start with walking. It’s amazing to complete something well that you didn’t even know you could do.
2) You may not lose weight quickly, but you will get lean muscle. Check out those hammies and quads!
3) Don’t wait until you’re “ready". Life is happening all around you. Join in!
4) It’s ok to take a mulligan and try again another time.
5) A 14 minute mile is still a mile! (and a 20 minute mile at that!)
6) You conquer hills with your heart, not your legs.
7) You start looking at streets you’ve driven for years in a new light. Flat and tree-lined? That looks like a great spot to pull the car over and run home!
8) Limit your commute time. The closer your run is to your front door, the easier it is to talk yourself into just doing it.
9) Runners aren’t just born… they can be made.

I’ve found success so far by having a goal. A 5K in July and August, and I’m kicking around the idea of a mini-triathlon in October. I'm also incredibly motivated by my friends and family. If you’re looking for a good couch to 5K app, I love mine through RunDouble ($1.60). Good Luck and Good Health!
SW 343, Current below, Goal 160 & to start a family!11978920
Neen L.
on 7/6/12 12:08 am - Arlington, VA
C25k amazed me too! I could never, ever run, even when I was swimming year-round. C25k was a pretty perfect plan for building up slowly.

Goals are what keep me going too. I am doing Warrior Dash in the autumn and can't wait!

Long-term post-ops with regain struggles, click here to see some steps for getting back on track (without the 5-day pouch fad or liquid diet): http://www.obesityhelp.com/member/bananafish711/blog/2013/04/05/don-t-panic--believe-and-you-will-succeed-/

Always cooking at www.neensnotes.com!

Need a pick-me-up? Read this: http://www.lettersofnote.com/2009/10/it-will-be-sunny-one-day.html

christinalee
on 7/6/12 12:35 am - At Home in, NH
Damn straight! Here's to all the waddlers out there (running is still running whether it's 14 minute miles or 5K's under 20:00).

#7 and #9 are righteous!

Best wishes for awesome 5Ks in July and August. Rock the finish line!

"Just keep swimming." ~ Dorrie

Most Active
Recent Topics