Fluids = Nausea

Deb331
on 7/9/12 5:14 am - GA
RNY on 05/14/12
Everything I drink makes me nauseous. It's already 3pm and I've consumed less than 20 oz. how am I going to get 44 more in by EOD? Yesterday I only consumed 12 oz all day. I'm afraid I'm going to dehydrate soon. 

poet_kelly
on 7/9/12 5:20 am - OH
I imagine you are already somewhat dehydrated, which would explain why you are nauseous.  Dehydration causes nausea.  If you can't get more fluids in, you probably need to go to the ER for IV fluids.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Kay L.
on 7/9/12 5:22 am - N., AL
You may already be dehydrated, hence the nausea. You just have to keep trying. If you're nauseated, but keeping the fluids down, then keep doing it. However, if you're vomiting, you need to call the doctor.
Deb331
on 7/9/12 5:51 am - GA
RNY on 05/14/12
No vomiting fortunately. I'll keep trying and if I keep having problems I'll call my doctor. Thanks for the advice.
hedrider
on 7/9/12 7:45 am - Midlothian, TX
 Lack of fluids = nausea.  You are most likely dehydrated, which will cause nausea, which will in turn cause you to drink less.  It's a vicious cycle.  Do you have any Zofran?
Heather
Since 2008 my team has raised over $42,000 to fight breast cancer.

Deb331
on 7/9/12 8:15 am - GA
RNY on 05/14/12
I do. I just have to remember where I put it. Thanks for the reminder.
poet_kelly
on 7/9/12 8:19 am - OH
I would suggest if you can keep it down, really pushing the fluids.  I know that's hard to do when you're nauseous.  I had trouble getting my fluids in the first three weeks or so post op.  I ended up dehydrated and had to go to the ER twice for IV fluids.  If you can't get the fluids in, then you should do that.  You would feel about a million times better as soon as you got full of fluid.

But if you can keep fluids down, focus on pushing them as much as you can tonight.  If it makes you feel nauseous, just drink anyway.  Don't gulp, but sip constantly.  If you do that tonight and tomorrow, I bet by this time tomorrow night you will feel a whole lot better.

You might try some warm tea.  Warm peppermint tea helps when my stomach is upset.  You can also eat ice chips or eat sugar free jello.  but just push the fluids in all night.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Princess Brandy
on 7/9/12 8:25 am - PA
 I've been nauseated as well, they suggested taking the zofran every 4 hours and if after 24 hours of sipping fluids I'm still sick then to go to the ER. I get my zofran IV which works better then PO, but I would use whatever you have. I was given phenergan suppositories as well, but they just see to make me tired. 
Good luck!
        http://poundsago.blogspot.com/.  My daughters weightloss blog, would love if you all support her in her journey. 
garnetgal
on 7/9/12 8:35 am - Redwood City, CA
RNY on 04/02/12
Water makes me nauseaus and I cannot drink it no matter how hard I try. It will leave me feeling horrible for hours. Try some jello and s/f popsicles and see if that's easier on the pouch. That was the only way I could stay hydrated the first few weeks.

GraceGirl
on 7/9/12 8:47 am
could you sip on some broth? Sugar free jello or popsicles?