Hot flashes/ hormone changes related to WLS?

Christy L.
on 7/9/12 1:25 pm - TN
 I haven't been sleeping well for a few weeks. I had a total hysterectomy about 9 years ago and have been on HRT at different times, but don't like to stay on them long term. I've actually been fine without hormone replacement for a couple of years. 

That being said, since I started losing weight, I'M BURNING UP!!! Well, at least at night, during the day I freeze to death. :-/ 

Has anyone else had hormone problems after WLS? I'm figuring that my body is changing so fast my hormones that I do still have can't catch up. 

Hopefully the lack of sleep and hormone changes don't cause me to say things I don't mean...everyone is on my nerves lately! Gotta remember its just me and not them!

tgrlnh
on 7/9/12 1:27 pm
RNY on 06/05/12
Hormones are stored in fat so with rapid weightloss you get a rapid release of hormones....My hormones are crazy too.

HW 351 SW 314 CW 140 ~ Surgery Day 6/5/12 - The first day of the rest of my life!

jralbertson
on 7/9/12 1:45 pm - CO
My NUT said this surgery can push you in one of two directions.  If you're of child-bearing age, it can make you more fertile. If you're closer to menopause, it can push you into menopause.
Missy A.
on 7/10/12 4:11 am - NC
RNY on 08/17/12
I'm glad you asked this question. I, too, had a total hysterectomy 9yrs ago and although i'm pre-surgery was wondering how I would be effected in the hormone department. The hysterectomy turned my life upside down and inside out and I definitely don't want to be there again.

Congrats on your surgery and I hope you start to feel better!

Missy

HW:348 Consult W:320 SW:295 Current W:156 GW:140

chatterpam
on 7/10/12 7:10 am - PA
My hyst did that to me as well.  This wasn't as bad on the emotional side, though I did go through an adjustment period where I was irritable - but it seemed to adjust within about 2 months.  The physical symptoms are going strong.  Feel free to PM me if you like.  Pam
chatterpam
on 7/10/12 7:05 am - PA
YES YES YES!!!!! I had a total hyst 11 years ago and had very little problem with menopausal symptoms. Since I've lost the weight they are HORRENDOUS! I have hot flashes throughout the day every day... before I might have had a hot flash once or twice a week in the evening. And now I have night sweats! I never had them before the weight loss. And now that the weather is hot they are awful.

I was told that fat stores hormones and since the fat cells are collapsing because we are losing weight, that we are now storing less. This makes the menopause symptoms worse. I can't take HRT because if the history of cancer in our family but there is a natural over-the-counter rememdy that is helping me - it's called Remifemin.

I still would rather have the hot flashes and night sweats than the weight back ;~)