Accepting Compliments

cuddles010982
on 7/17/12 11:33 am - Mt
I am curious as to how everyone deals with compliments now that we are becoming our new "skinny" selves. I am down 90 pounds and have been getting a lot of compliments. I find my self deflecting them all the time. i say things like "well i have a long way to go".."I am definetly not skinny yet, but thanks"..or "oh I don't know about looking as good as you say"

How do you respond to compliments? Do they make you feel uncomfortable or inspired?

~Heidi
The quest for excellence is a life long process
lanagirl
on 7/17/12 11:41 am
It makes me uncomfortable. I just don't know what to say other than "thank you". I always feel like I need to reciprocate.

Dee.spunk
on 7/17/12 11:46 am - Sacramento, CA
I usually say something like, "Thanks! I've been working hard!" sometimes someone will keep going and then I'll say, "Well, thank you. But I still have a long way to go".

Height:5'1.5 RNY:11/30/11 HW:307 SW:234 CW:136 GW:140 (LOST 73 Lbs. PRE-OP)

twobabies06
on 7/17/12 12:10 pm
I struggle with this as well.  I am trying to train myself to just say thank you or thanks for your compliment.  I try to change the subject right away too.  I don't know that this is such a positive response, but I am trying to deflect the attention I guess.  Not used to it!

april89love
on 7/17/12 12:18 pm - NC
I had to retrain myself. Now I say thank you or I am skinny aren't I haha!

Sandy

HW 225, SW 219, GW 140, CW 124

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me!  

THE_life10
on 7/17/12 1:00 pm
RNY on 03/26/12
I hate the compliments as well..it embarrasses me ..in some instances , like when they come from men that i THOUGHT liked the bigger me, it disgusts me.  I guess because I've started seeing what people thought of me when I was bigger. It's shocking because I was bigger just 4 short months ago and the compliments im receiving are from people that I thought werent judging me..i guess you realize it was all an act and naturally i feel some type of way.

But everything is a learning process and I am very excited for the future.  It definitely inspires me to take care of myself first and to have more confidence.

Height: 5'9 Hw: 285 Sw: 272  Cw: 167 Surg. goal: 165

1m: -20 2m: :-18 3m:-10

4m:-12 5m:8 6m:-4 7m:-3 8m-10:-28

lmaosmileyfacenz
on 7/17/12 1:03 pm
Sounds like what I say lol, ive never been good at receiving compliments

cuddles010982
on 7/17/12 1:42 pm - Mt
im glad to hear im not the only one who struggles with accepting compliments. It is very hard to know what to say when you are not used to hearing compliments.

~Heidi
The quest for excellence is a life long process
Christy L.
on 7/17/12 1:50 pm - TN
I'm very uncomfortable with compliments too.  My standard is, 'Thanks but I've got a long way to go'.  I guess that's not very accepting of the compliment.  I just don't know what to say and I  hate the attention being on me!  It's embarrassing! 

happy_baker
on 7/17/12 1:52 pm, edited 7/17/12 1:53 am
RNY on 02/15/12
Honestly, it depends who it's coming from. I have different reactions to a large variety of complimenters.

If it's coming from someone who knows I had surgery and is smaller than me, I beam and say "Thank you, I FEEL good!"

If it's coming from someone who knows I have surgery and is bigger than me, I usually smile and say "Thank you!" and then follow it with the qualifier, "It's been a lot of work."
(I think I do this because I secretly fear they're in their heads whispering, "Cheater!")

If I get a compliment from soneone who doesn't know I had surgery, I tend to thank them and rush past it, either onto a compliment to them, or a change of subject entirely. I'm not ashamed I had surgery, and I've ended up telling a lot more people than I thought I would, but I really just want to be "normal". I don't want to become "That girl who had bypass." So I don't like to really spend a lot of time discussing it.

If I get a wistful compliment--someone saying things like, "You look great, I wish I could get this weight off." then I tend to commiserate. I thank them and follow it with, "I know how you feel...my weight was making me really unhappy and I had to do something about it. So far, so good."

If I get left-handed compliments, like someone telling me I'm wasting away, I just smile and say, "Well, I've still got a ways to go."

One thing that has made me super uncomfortable is that I have a VERY dear male friend for the last 8 years or so. I've had a crush on him for a long time, and I know the feeling is mutual. We flirt lightly sometimes, but because we're both married (and we're really good friends) it's always been a harmless thing. Just fun, nothing further. But lately, he's taken more of a pronounced interest, and I'm toeing a very fine line between appreciating the attention and feeling that it's crossing a line. So when he makes comments that are a little TOO inappropriate, I have no idea how to respond. That is one compliment I still have yet to handle gracefully.

_._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. 
Check out my video blog!  www.youtube.com/user/HappilyShrinking/videos
Highest weight: 269.  Surgery weight: 233.  Goal weight: 144, and then we'll see.. 
Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 362 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 332 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 197 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 118 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 0 replies · 8 views
Recent Topics