Question for the Vets 2+ years...

poet_kelly
on 7/16/12 12:58 pm - OH
Yeah, the bottomless pit thing is gone.  I felt like a bottomless pit almost all the time.  It took an immense amount of food for me to feel satisfied.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 7/16/12 12:52 pm - OH
I am one of the ones who never got a traditional hunger sensation back (and at 5 years out, I seriously doubt that it is ever coming back). My blood sugar drops precipitously, though, if I go too long without eating, so my "hunger" signal is lightheadedness and shaking. 

Generally, people who DO get physically hungry say that if you eat plenty of dense protein, you can keep the hunger at bay.  Dense protein (chicken, beef, tuna) definitely holds me much longer than a less dense protein (soft fish, crab) or a "slider" protein (yogurt).

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Mary Catherine
on 7/16/12 5:00 pm

I still have not been hungry since my RNY in 2007.  It is a wonderful feeling.  I do eat and have to convince myself to eat more than I actually want sometimes.  I eat when I am not interested in the food just to avoid any low blood sugar incidents.

Mal
on 7/16/12 9:11 pm
 I am hungry when my body needs food.  If I let it get that far that means I've waited too long to eat or simply have forgotten to eat then I need to eat NOW or watch out! LOL  I have learned how to listen to my body on how full it is.  I can only eat a maximum of 4 bites of anything (except when it comes to soups they slide right though) and then my pouch says "STOP!" or you will puke.  It HURTS when you eat even one bite too many and when that happens to me (It did recently at a wedding my fiancee was in the food was just phenomenal!) I have to walk around until it moves or I'm in agony.  I've only had to force myself to vomit like 3 times in 2 1/2 years but man it hurts and when something gets stuck you know it.  It happened to me last time with steak I didn't chew it enough before I swallowed it and it got stuck so I had to induce vomiting to get it up.  

My pouch is still quite small thankfully.  It can and will stretch out to the size it was before surgery if you don't change the way you eat and listen to your doctor/follow the pouch rules.  I know people in my own life that have done just that.  People who are addicted to food and did not overcome their addiction prior to surgery.  Its a huge head game after surgery and I recommend getting a good qualified therapist to help you through this journey.  

Good luck with your upcoming revision!

Mallisa

gbsinsatx
on 7/17/12 10:39 am, edited 7/16/12 10:46 pm - San Antonio, TX
  • I am hungry like I was before RNY, but I eat every 2 to 3 hours to satisfy my hunger. I am thankful for the restriction benefit of RNY because the volume of food I now eat at one sitting is dramatically less than before RNY.

I eat 1800 calories a day to maintain my weight loss of 200 pounds at a weight of 131 pounds. My height is 5'4" and I am 57 years old.

I do not participate in a formal exercise program due to Rheumatoid Arthritis and Osteoarthritis. I do move around a lot more and do a lot more walking.

Age at RNY: 55, Height: 5'4", Consultation Weight: 331 lbs-12/1/2009, RNY Surgery Weight: 281 lbs-3/22/2010, Goal Weight Reached: 141 lbs-6/23/2011, Lowest Weight: 126 lbs-12/11/2011

Current Age: 61, Current Weight: 161 lbs-5/20/2016Total Weight Loss Maintained: 170 lbs  

Most Active
Recent Topics