Throwing up is such a different experience now... (graphic)

Samantha L.
on 7/17/12 1:21 pm - Petaluma, CA
 So, I ate part of a slice of pizza and now the pouch is pissed at me.  I don't know about everyone else, but throwing up since surgery is a special kind of hell for me.  It takes FOREVER.  I don't do it often, but when I do... damn.  
  Now, when I need to be sick, it's very much like someone hit the slow motion button or something.. the icky watery feeling in my jaw (that usually comes MOMENTS before you hurl) lasts for up to half an hour before anything happens.  When something finally DOES happen, (I am trying to think of a way to put this delicately).. it's not all at once.  It's tiny amounts over and over again.  

Ok.  Enough grossness.  I just wonder if it's like that for other RNY post ops, or if it's just me?  

Ugh...  this is the pits!  

Moral to this story:  Stop eating stuff you know you aren't supposed to, Stupid.  

Capt_Kirk
on 7/17/12 1:26 pm - WA
RNY on 06/12/12
 It's weird for me.  I can't throw up.  I just dry heave and dry heave.  I've only had two episodes, but even when I begged for the stuff to come up (for some relief) nothing did.  Whatever the issue was went away eventally, but about 30 mins of dry heaving is not fun.
Samantha L.
on 7/17/12 1:32 pm - Petaluma, CA
  It's been two years (as of the first of July) and I am happy to say that I never dry heave.  That IS miserable.  Usually (and here we go again with graphic content) I have to just sit with a cup or something similar and wait out the hour long barfing process.  (which is what I am doing right now.)  I would LOVE to just do it like the old (pre-op) days and just.. you know, THROW UP.  Like.. out it comes.. wow, that feels better.  

Thankfully, I have learned MOST of body's rules regarding food.  Pizza has just never given me a problem before and since I am currently trying to gain a little weight, it seemed harmless.  *sigh*

happy_baker
on 7/17/12 3:14 pm
RNY on 02/15/12
 I can't vomit, either. I have only puked once in the 5 months since surgery, and it was because I jammed my fingers down my throat in desperation. But usually, even that doesn't work. 

My little pouch does NOT easily reverse itself. 
_._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. 
Check out my video blog!  www.youtube.com/user/HappilyShrinking/videos
Highest weight: 269.  Surgery weight: 233.  Goal weight: 144, and then we'll see.. 
Christy L.
on 7/17/12 1:45 pm - TN
I haven't actually thrown up since surgery except for the night I came home from the hospital due to liquid tylenol.  That was a long and miserable night.  I have sat with a bucket in my lap a few times WISHING I could vomit though! 

I wonder if it has something to do with the lack of stomach acid?  I expected after surgery that I would vomit more easily, but that's not at all the case.  I hate to throw up, but sometimes it's just necessary!  (Especially when you are new post op and learning what you can and can't eat!)

Hope your misery is ended soon!

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 7/17/12 1:46 pm - OH
I can count almost on one hand the number of times I have thrown up in the 5 years since my surgeryand I only rarely feel bad after eating something.  For me, I feel bad for maybe 10-15 minutes and at that point I can tell whether I am going throw up or just continue to feel miserable for another hour.  When I DO throw up, it is usually a quick process.  It takes two, perhaps three, times to get everything up, and then I feel much better.  I do not have dry heaves and do not have enough acid in my pouch to have to deal with that horrible burning sensation.

All in all, I find throwing up post-op to be FAR less objectionable than pre-op (but it is never fun, of course).

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Samantha L.
on 7/17/12 2:16 pm - Petaluma, CA
Lora,
  Really?  I pretty much ALWAYS feel kinda icky after I eat.  Always slightly nauseous.  I sort of just accepted that as the way it is post op.  Huh.  It doesn't matter what I eat or how much.  That (and the fact that I rarely, if ever, feel hunger) has made my relationship with food kind of a love/hate thing.  I still like flavor.. but, I don't like to eat.  
  Hmm.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 7/17/12 3:16 pm - OH
Nope, I have rarely felt bad after eating at all. Usually only if I have eaten a little too much or a little too much fat (which bothers me more than sugar).  I felt a bit nauseous maybe a couple of times a week during the first month, but not after that.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Samantha L.
on 7/17/12 4:10 pm - Petaluma, CA
 *sigh*  So jealous.  

littleskie
on 7/17/12 1:52 pm - freeport, TX
RNY on 08/19/09 with
You can eat something one day and its great. then eat it the next day and its miserable. My son says when that happens I sound like a cat trying to cough up a hair ball. personally it feels like i'm trying to get rid of cat hair balls. It's miserable, but I survive it. Sometimes live is to just to surprise us and show us our limits.

I'm so looking forward to menopause. Then I can eat the same thing several days in a row like my mother and grandmother.

Well ambien is kicking in so i'll finish reading, Have a great night all.

Met my first goal, met my second goal, met my surgeons goal. Now I have a new goal!

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 468 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 427 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 358 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 442 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 358 views