Somewhat OT, upset with my MIL

jujubee4224
on 7/19/12 3:11 am
RNY on 04/09/12
I had my rny back in early April. I thought about who to tell and who not to tell. I live near my MIL and see her frequently, so I thought I would tell her because she would know that I had surgery and would see the change in me. When I told her, I said that this was not public knowledge and told her that I was telling only key people that I wanted to know. There are lots of family on my husband's side who think that WLS is the easy way out or it is for losers. I knew I didn't need that kind of stuff going on behind my back. I have recently found out that she has been telling everyone about my surgery. I went to a funeral 2 days ago and one of the grieving family members (who I am related to by marriage) made a comment about my weight loss and the fact that my MIL told her. I'm positive that my condescending SIL's are having a field day with this news. 
I am having trouble dealing with this. I don't want to be angry at my MIL, she is in her late 70's but she is not senile by any means. She knew what she was doing. I told my husband about it and he said something like "everyone probably knows now, so what difference does it make?" I don't know if I should just forgive and forget or nicely tell her that I told her about my surgery in confidence. My hubby said he would talk to her, I guess because he's afraid I might lose my cool. I really think she should know she violated my trust and not to tell anyone else if there is anyone who doesn't know yet. What do y'all think. I have learned my lesson the hard way. She will not know anymore of my business.....AGAIN!!!

Carmen C.
on 7/19/12 3:19 am
RNY on 08/08/12
Just went through that.. with a friend.. and she went telling other people.. and was confornted about it.. I said Yes.. I am having it and held my chin up high and moved on.

Had RNY on 8/8/2012- revision from Gastric sleeve in 12/2008-  
LOST 5.8 POUNDS POST-OPT

jujubee4224
on 7/19/12 3:44 am
RNY on 04/09/12
Thank you. I am proud of the fact that I have had the RNY. I have taken charge of my life and my health and I am not embarrassed. Taking the high road and holding my head up high might be the way to go. Right now, my feelings are a little raw.
kcarlson0814
on 7/19/12 3:21 am - CA
RNY on 09/10/12
I think you should tell her you are disappointed she did not uphold her promise of trust and that it will be hard for you to trust her going forward.   That said, let it go.. don't hold on to anger, it doesn't do any good.  Also ... WHO CARES what other people are saying, you know what is right for you and your health and if your "in laws" or anyone else wants to pass judgement.. that is their problem and their character flaws...  let it all go, peoples gossiping is their problem not yours.

my 2 cents...
HW: 300 / Lapband Low: 247 / RNY: 9/10/12          
pwoo10
on 7/19/12 3:42 am - IN
RNY on 06/06/12
Another lesson learned. 

Lisa T.
on 7/19/12 3:42 am - Indianapolis, IN
RNY on 06/07/12
My friend sent me an eCard that sums it up like this: If you're talking behind my back, you're in a real good position to kiss my a$$!

I have a MILDEW (mother-in-law does everything wrong)that rides my last nerve from time to time so I feel your pain. Thankfully (sometimes unfortunately)my spouse is an only child - I could only imagine the joys of snarky SILs on top of it.

Height 4'11"  HW:  235  SW:  230  GW:  130   RNY 6/7/12   

JUSTJUNQUIES
on 7/19/12 4:18 am - Citrus Heights, CA
RNY on 04/04/12
I am in the same boat , told my sis , and one friend and said I was keeping it kinda quiet because I frankly was embarrassed to have a second WLS, well sis told Bro who because of death/inheritance issues we no longer speak to and friend told other friend who runs our mobile home park at the lake and low and behold people who come every year for the 4th all knew when I arrived for the week that I had had the surgery, these people were not there last year and the first thing out of their mouths were gee we hear you had bypass how ya doing. Now  I know they all like me and want the best for me , but I had no intention of telling these people that I see once every other year about any surgery. I don't know WHY people feel the need tell tell others. My sister has told her whole golf group , her Friday lunch group and anyone one else she could think of  to tell...I don't  even know these people...geeze
I wouldn't make a big deal about your MIL now , the "damage" is done and it may cause more drama that is needed in a family that lives close to each other...sigh

Donna Q. --5'8" -60 years old
Band 2005
hw320 sw276 lw with band 195 gw 160-180? 
Bypass 4/4/2012
pre sw 258 lw RNY 162 cw 203

JaneJetson
on 7/19/12 6:45 am
RNY on 05/07/12
I agree with you, Donna.  The minute we tell someone certain things in confidence, they feel the need to run and post it in the New York Times newspaper.   I got a kick out of the golf group and Friday lunch group, omg  don't get me wrong Donna, I couldn't help but laugh because that is how it always seems to go!  I get a kick out of you anyway, Donna.  I am sorry to the OP to get away from your question.  Yes, I don't blame you for being upset and the cat's out of the bag.  When you see her, tell her how you feel, that you love her, but please, please when I tell you things in confidence, please keep it that way.  From now on, just don't give her any info that you don't want blabbed to the entire world.  Sigh..........Take Care, Jane
Oxford Comma Hag
on 7/19/12 4:21 am
Yes, it's irritating and I get where you are coming from. Tell her from now on you will not be sharing things with her because she cannot keep her lip zipped.

My own mother is that way. Tell my mom, tell the world! She doesn't care.

As for snarky SILs, I have a couple of those. I tell them in no uncertain terms what I think. Just because I'm related by marriage doesn't mean I have to put up with them talking smack.
JaneJetson
on 7/19/12 6:49 am
RNY on 05/07/12
 I so love the word SNARKY.  It says it all about people we really can't stand or their attitude!  Have a great day, Jane
Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 211 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 345 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 223 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 128 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 211 views