Dry Skin???

siamsa1
on 8/8/12 1:00 pm
RNY on 07/17/12
Hi all!!

I am 3 weeks post op and I have noticed that my skin is getting extremely dry.  I get between 50 - 70 oz of water per day and between 60 - 80 mg of protein.  My skin just drinks up the lotion when I apply it.  The worst is on my abdomen, back and thighs.  Is this something that comes along with RNY? 

Jennifer

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 8/8/12 1:03 pm - OH
It is likely from the drastic decrease in the amount of fat in your diet.  I did not notice it until much farther out than you are, but as soon as I was able to add some healthy fats back into my diet, my skin was fine again.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Dave Chambers
on 8/8/12 1:05 pm - Mira Loma, CA
Take some Omega 3 fish oil of flaxseed oil. Dry skin can be an issue, and take a daily supplement for a while--it should help. DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

BeansOnToast
on 8/8/12 1:10 pm - Reisterstown, MD
RNY on 07/31/12
 My legs are extremely dry the last day or so, but my face has become EXTREMELY oily. I shower just as often and use all the same products but my legs are almost scaly and my face is all sorts of gross. I was wondering if that's normal after surgery or not. Kinda sucks. Lol
juleskar
on 8/8/12 3:23 pm
I'm a lotion freak!! I put babyoil on after my shower, and use lotion all over my body twice a day. Plus use lotion on my hands after I wash them. Bath & Body Works and Victoria Secret love me!!!
(deactivated member)
on 8/9/12 5:49 am
I'm 6 months post op and have very dry itchy skin. I had eczema preop and am not sure if my dry itchy skin's worsening condition is due to RNY or  coincidence but it is definitely much worse. I take coromega every day and am adding a gel omega 3 pill. I drink lots of water but am on prescription antihistamines every day just to deal with the itching. I suspect I have food allergies and am trying to keep a chart of when I itch or have a reaction so I can eliminate triggers from my diet. In my case I suspect it's part due to preeixsing allergies and part due to malabpsorption from RNY. Time wil tell. Keep up with the lotion and if necesary see a dermatologist. Oatmeal baths a few times a week help a lot. best of luck to you!
jbuntyn
on 8/9/12 8:27 am - apple valley, MN
Hey Jen...at my 3 wk appt I asked the nurse dr. about the dry skin I had really bad on my tummy and he had no clue!!!! I just kept re-applying the lotion and it cleared up within 2 weeks...hope it does for you too
~JENN~