9wks out. I have a few questions.....

marty69
on 8/11/12 11:42 am - MO
RNY on 06/06/12
 Up till now I have not been taking the vitamins and calcium an b12 on a daily/regular basis. How much damage do you think I have done?
 My Dr. has stated my lab's look good. But I figure at this point my body can still be drawing on fat reserves.?
 I have really started getting some much needed "exercise" this week.(in the form of fall cleaning my home.) It went well for 2 days,but yesterday and today I feel sooo worn down.I have made my self get out of the house and go to town yesterday. Today we have 2 birthday party's for relatives kids to go to.So I am at least moving and not vegetating on the couch watching tv or on the computer all day.(which were 2 of my old bad habits.) I
 expect to be some what tired from the new level of activity.But should I feel soooo just plain worn out?
  I have heard people at group and here talk about endless energy. I myself have not had that happen yet,but REALLY want it to.Could it be because I am still low on protein? That coupled with the irregular vitamin intake?
  Looking forward to your answers...

May We All be Blessed and Valued 

marty

Lady Lithia
on 8/11/12 11:54 am
If you haven't been getting in your protein, you have to. Remember that if you don't get protein in, your body will start to take it from your reserves, and those are your muscles (and your heart is a muscle)... you want to get your protein in because if the muscles are diminished, then you have less calorie burning overall.... which means that you won't lose as fast. Not to mention that if your heart is weakened sometimes it's not going to recover to where it was before. That is bad.

You need to embrace a new lifestyle. I'm not much one to talk, aside from protein, I'm certainly not the poster child for always getting my vitamins and definately not when it comes to exercise. But I know that if you are having trouble with protein, exercise, and vitamins, it would seem to me that you are missing out on some of the essential things that will result in the best success. Diet alone without vitamins and protein and some movement of your backside (get that butt moving, you don't have to formally exercise).... that's only one of the legs of your new life, and no table can stand without at least three legs.. you need to work on it.

That said, of course, I am going to say that I never had any sensation of "boundless energy".... when I got down below 160 lbs, I found that I felt as though my tiny body was so little it didn't challenge my muscles much and my muscles were wanting to do more. Alas, I had surgery on my back-side just then, and lost a lot of muscle mass and have never recovered that sense of muscular fitness and even muscular demand for more strenuous exertion. *big sigh*

~Lady Lithia~ 200 lbs lost! 
March 9, 2011 - Coccygectomy!
I chased my dreams, and my dreams, they caught me!
giraffesmiley.gif picture by hardyharhar_bucket

Dave Chambers
on 8/11/12 1:07 pm - Mira Loma, CA
Just because you see a few posts on "endless energy" it doesn't mean that's 100% true for all post ops. Fatigue often affects many post ops for the first few months.  Doing some form of exercise almost daily will likely help you. Try to do early in the day. Trying to go to the gym, etc. for exercise after a long day is difficult. But if you get up early, do your exercise early before your daily routine begins, you'll likely feel better because of an early start to your metolism and won't have to worry about missing exercise due to a long day.  TAKE you supplements daily. Get one of those segmented pill containers. Once a week set down with all of your pill bottles and this container. In a matter of a few minutes you'll have all of your supplements and/or scripts set aside for the week.  I put the next day segmented pill "strip" on my nightstand when I go to sleep. First thing I see is the pill container to remind me to take them.  Don't rely on someone telling you your labs look good--GET A PRINTOUT for your persoanl reference.  You do not mention how much protein you get daily, but yes, your energy will be lower on low levels of protein, and you'll lose muscle mass in the wt loss process. DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

Larry Wassmann
on 8/11/12 1:45 pm - Lacey, WA
RNY on 05/09/12
I feel like I have a lot more energy but that may be because I don’t have to carry all the weight on my back anymore. Before surgery I swam 3 times a week, now I continue to swim, but I ride a bike every other day and I really look for things to do around the house. Is it because of what I eat and take as far as vitamins? I don’t know. But I sure feel a lot more energy than I had before. Why don’t you take your vitamins just to be safe, I don’t think your doctors tell you too just for the fun of it.  

fb.png   Visit my Blog at  http://www.lwassmann.blogspot.com/                                

Price S.
on 8/11/12 1:51 pm - Mills River, NC
At 9 weeks, you are still recovering and shouldn't expect to have boundless energy but you should be able to do the things you are talking about without feeling drained.

Get your protien in, get your vits in, start getting some exercise, even if it is walking around the house once before each meal.  Get a copy of your labs and post them.  sometimes our Drs think our labs are ok and they really aren't as good as they can be.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

brenlee1965
on 8/11/12 3:38 pm - New Berlin, NY
Why are you NOT taking your vitamins?
 Bren                
BWB
on 8/11/12 4:56 pm
 This must be a joke.  I can't imagine that you didn't get the message regarding post op nutrition from your doctor.  Why would you go to the trouble of getting the surgery and not following through with the nutrition and exercise.  It doesn't make sense.

fawnracene
on 8/11/12 5:51 pm
RNY on 06/06/12
 Wow I like how you people judge her for NOT taking her vitamins. Its a routine you have to get used to. So maybe this brenlee lady shouldn't make people feel so bad. I think this is the third post I have read where she makes people feel like poop. Exact reason I dont come on this forum anymore. BTW its been hard for me to remember to take my vitamins to. But I am getting better with all the new changes everyday. Good luck with trying to meet all your goals.