Stairs after surgery?

Debbie A.
on 8/11/12 9:53 pm - Discovery Bay, CA
RNY on 08/15/12
Has any one come home from the hospital after surgery and gone upstairs to get into bed?
I know I need to talk to my doctor, but I wanted to find out if any one did that. Not sure what the deal is on stairs.

Debbie

"Nothing is impossible. The word itself says I'M POSSIBLE!!!"

"No one said it was going to be easy, but it will definitely be worth it"

Chihuahuan
on 8/11/12 10:04 pm - New York, NY
RNY on 05/16/12
Make sure and tell them you have stairs to negotiate at home and the PT/OT  will come in and make sure you can do it before they will ever discharge you.   Hopefully you have a railing or something you can support yourself with on the way up?   Myself, I was fine with walking and just moving that way but it was getting up from a lying position that was painful.  Good luck!!!

Debbie A.
on 8/11/12 10:12 pm - Discovery Bay, CA
RNY on 08/15/12
Thanks for the great advice. I'll talk to the doctor on Tues. My surgery is on Wed. I'm excited, nervous and a 1000 other things.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 8/11/12 10:12 pm - OH
I had open RNY (and have had a number of other surgeries, both open and lap) and I have never had a problem going up and down the stairs afterward. As with everything else, you just have to take it a bit more slowly.  With my last lap surgery, though, the stairs didn't bother me a bit, and ,y house has a unique layout where the kitchen is up half a staircase from the main level, and then there is a full staircase going up from THAT level to get to the bedrooms... so I had to do stairs just to get something to drink and had more stairs than usual to get to and from the bedroom. 

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Debbie A.
on 8/11/12 10:17 pm - Discovery Bay, CA
RNY on 08/15/12
Thank you! So glad to hear that. I had back surgery and got up the stairs, so I was thinking I could do this. Just needed some one else's opinion.

ChorizaNicole
on 8/11/12 10:18 pm - CA
RNY on 06/20/12
 Hello Debbie,

I came home to stairs after surgery it took me a good 15mins ,the first few days for myself were a little difficult as I was extremely sore yet it was a must to get to and from home. It did indeed get better as i continued to walk them.

Reel
on 8/11/12 11:44 pm
As soon as I walked in the door from the hospital , I immediately walked up the stairs and peeled off my clothes and got in the shower. After 2 days of using a germy toilet with 2 other roommates made me certain that absolutely nothing was going to stop me from getting up those stairs even if I had to crawl. I didn't get into the hospital shower because I was too wide to fit, and my knees was so bad I feared falling, so I just waited it out until I went home, and I had no problems at all. Every single day I'd walk up those stairs and shower, but I slept on the couch downstairs simply because I was able to prop myself better, and since I live alone I could just rush out the door and call for help in case of an emergerncy. Best wishes!

Casey B.
on 8/12/12 12:46 am - Brockport, NY
RNY on 07/02/12
 i luckily don't have stairs in my home, homever my doctors told me stairs were perfectly fine. they encouraged as much walking as i could handle. the only problem i had was being dizzy and light-headed, so it turns out to be a very good thing that i don't have any, if you end up having issues with being light headed or dizzy it would be best to stay away from the stairs. else wise you should be just fine! but i agree you should absolutely speak with your doctor about it before attempting. good luck to you :D 

Michelle V.
on 8/12/12 4:18 am - Livonia, MI
My stairs (going up) were the easiest things ever - my husband was behind me telling me to slow down as I raced up them.

Tater84
on 8/12/12 5:33 am
RNY on 08/06/12
my surgeon says i HAVE TO go up and down the stairs at least 3x per day. it hasn't been a problem, and i had surgery last Monday. he said this will help prevent blood clots and pneumonia.

SW: 387 (highest ever)
CW: 282
GW: 175